View Full Version : OCD Compulsions

Greyhound1
01-31-15, 11:22 PM
What are your compulsions and how much time a day do you spend on them?
Mine are:
1. Hand washing or sanitizing them
2. Door and window lock checking
3. Counting things

I probably waste about 1-2 hours a day. Just looking for some comparisons.

I also have some more minor compulsions that change. I didn't count those because I can resist them. Once, I become mindful and resist, they usually change to something else.

Little Missy
01-31-15, 11:27 PM
Brushing and flossing my teeth. It just never seems to end.

BellaVita
01-31-15, 11:36 PM
Mine are:

1. Checking the locks.
2. Checking the inside of a medication cap to make sure it's clean and there's nothing on it
3. Checking inside water bottle caps.
4. Checking the 4 corners of the bathroom before I leave it.
5. Having labels of things facing forward.
6. Having objects in lines, perfectly lined up.
7. Checking my alarms to make sure they are set to correct time.
8. Before setting an object down I must have the object facing me with it's label exactly in the middle.
9. Put my chapstick on a certain number of times.
10. Compulsive praying.
11. Checking over and over to make sure my iPad/iPod is charging.
12. (Embarrassing) Checking and re-checking (more like re-looking at) my background pics on my iPad and iPhone, both are pictures of dvdnvwls. :o
13. Looking out the peephole over and over.
13. Organizing and reorganizing objects.
14. Counting in my head.
15. Washing my hands, must re-wash if I touch something "dirty."
16. I have certain phrases that I MUST have people say back to me. If I say something, and it requires them to say a certain phrase back, I tell them to say that phrase. I do not feel peace and am quite restless until they say that phrase.

These all take up so many hours of my day, that I can't count them. And yes, I do all of these every single day.

BellaVita
02-01-15, 12:02 AM
Brushing and flossing my teeth. It just never seems to end.

Your teeth never seem to end? :lol:

Greyhound1
02-01-15, 12:32 AM
Mine are:

1. Checking the locks.
2. Checking the inside of a medication cap to make sure it's clean and there's nothing on it
3. Checking inside water bottle caps.
4. Checking the 4 corners of the bathroom before I leave it.
5. Having labels of things facing forward.
6. Having objects in lines, perfectly lined up.
7. Checking my alarms to make sure they are set to correct time.
8. Before setting an object down I must have the object facing me with it's label exactly in the middle.
9. Put my chapstick on a certain number of times.
10. Compulsive praying.
11. Checking over and over to make sure my iPad/iPod is charging.
12. (Embarrassing) Checking and re-checking (more like re-looking at) my background pics on my iPad and iPhone, both are pictures of dvdnvwls. :o
13. Looking out the peephole over and over.
13. Organizing and reorganizing objects.
14. Counting in my head.
15. Washing my hands, must re-wash if I touch something "dirty."
16. I have certain phrases that I MUST have people say back to me. If I say something, and it requires them to say a certain phrase back, I tell them to say that phrase. I do not feel peace and am quite restless until they say that phrase.

These all take up so many hours of my day, that I can't count them. And yes, I do all of these every single day.

Wow, I can relate with you on a lot of those. I probably should have added your 6 and 7 to my list.

I seem to have two types of compulsions. Those which I think of and obsess over and those which just come up and must be dealt with or will obsess.

Type 1. Compulsions which are conscious ritualistic and consistent

Type 2. Compulsive unconscious behaviors

The difference is I think about type 1 and must follow thru.

Type 2 just happens before I know it. I see a crooked picture, I must adjust it or I will obsess. I never have to think about checking them. I catch my self counting clock ticks if they are loud enough to hear. The fast ticking on the show 60 Minutes makes me nuts.

A few of my compulsions are done consciously and a lot more are triggered subconsciously.

BellaVita
02-01-15, 12:32 AM
Also: checking to make sure objects are there. Like rechecking my pockets (countless times) to make sure the key is there. (Even after I realize it is, I repeat the behavior several times)

BellaVita
02-01-15, 12:37 AM
Wow, I can relate with you on a lot of those. I probably should have added your 6 and 7 to my list.

I seem to have two types of compulsions. Those which I think of and obsess over and those which just come up and must be dealt with or will obsess.

Type 1. Compulsions which are ritualistic and consistent

Type 2. Compulsive unconscious behaviors

:goodpost:

That makes a lot of sense.

Greyhound1
02-01-15, 01:20 AM
OCD is so weird. Some things I can't help, but to count them and other things, I can't stand to.

I can't help but to count the train cars going by when stopped at a crossing.

The thought of counting how many times a day I wash my hands is too scary. I hate counting money also. That really triggers the hand washings.

Greyhound1
02-01-15, 01:28 AM
My cash in my wallet must always be grouped together in order, upright and facing forward when you open it.

Just the thought of cash out of order, wrinkled and bunched up in my pockets is bothersome.

Little Missy
02-01-15, 06:54 AM
Your teeth never seem to end? :lol:

Oh God, I hope not. That is one of my biggest fears. :eek:
So far, so good though.

Little Missy
02-01-15, 07:01 AM
I smell and examine almost everything.

My money absolutely must be perfectly aligned. I loathe cashiers who do not face bills in their drawer. I also hate it when they try to flap the receipt into my hand with the bills. I do this flip maneuver and let it fall so that they must put it in the bag.

I pick out old pennies from 1980 and back from every penny jar at any cash register I find and if I get a dirty look I flip a quarter into it and smile wickedly back at them.

Greyhound1
02-01-15, 05:37 PM
I smell and examine almost everything.

My money absolutely must be perfectly aligned. I loathe cashiers who do not face bills in their drawer. I also hate it when they try to flap the receipt into my hand with the bills. I do this flip maneuver and let it fall so that they must put it in the bag.

I pick out old pennies from 1980 and back from every penny jar at any cash register I find and if I get a dirty look I flip a quarter into it and smile wickedly back at them.

Ha ha, I always check for wheat head pennies too and can quickly recognize the sound of any silver coins.

As a kid, I would save up all my change in a jar. When it came time to counting it, I would dump them all in the tub first and have to wash them. Mom loved that!:(

Now, I just save them up and pay about 8% for machine to count them.
The time, effort and sanitary concerns spared, make it well worth it to me.:)