View Full Version : learning disability on application?

G.Debord
02-02-15, 11:21 PM
I'm about to submit an application for a phd program. I can't decide whether to click YES on learning disability. Obviously in theory it's the right thing to do, but in practice will it hurt my chances? I guess nobody really knows, but what are people's thoughts about this??

finallyfound10
02-03-15, 12:53 AM
ADHD is not considered to be a learning disability. It can be determined to be a disability under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), making a student eligible to receive special education services. However, ADHD falls under the category “Other Health Impaired” and not under “Specific Learning Disabilities.”http://ldaamerica.org/types-of-learning-disabilities/adhd/

You can ethically click NO. :yes:

namazu
02-03-15, 01:52 AM
It's unlikely to help or to hurt your application, unless you were diagnosed late enough that there's a non-traditional college record you need to explain (e.g. D's and F's for 2 years, then a few years off, then 3 years of good grades or something).

Usually the forms where you enter demographic info and get asked about disability status, veteran status, etc. are used to track institutional compliance with equal opportunity regulations and sometimes for outreach.

Even if you check "no" now, you can still contact the disability services office on campus as soon as you're admitted. You'd need to submit documentation to them to request formal accommodations. But you could also (separately from this check-box) inquire privately about their services to be sure you'd be able to get the support you need -- without them informing your prospective department.

finallyfound10
02-03-15, 01:45 PM
Usually the forms where you enter demographic info and get asked about disability status, veteran status, etc. are used to track institutional compliance with equal opportunity regulations and sometimes for outreach.

I'm too cynical and don't trust that "they" keep all of that info to themselves and don't pass it along and it won't affect your chances for acceptance for school or a job.

Even if you check "no" now, you can still contact the disability services office on campus as soon as you're admitted. You'd need to submit documentation to them to request formal accommodations. But you could also (separately from this check-box) inquire privately about their services to be sure you'd be able to get the support you need -- without them informing your prospective department.

I agree with this as many people get diagnosed (me) after they were already accepted into a program it didn't affect being able to get accommodations mid-stream.

G.Debord
02-13-15, 01:37 AM
Thanks everyone. Yeah, so looks like i got in. (Yes!)
I didn't mention anything on my app. If I need to later, I will do it then…though it sounds from the above comments like ADD might not be considered an LD. It sure feels like one.

namazu
02-13-15, 10:37 AM
Thanks everyone. Yeah, so looks like i got in. (Yes!)
I didn't mention anything on my app. If I need to later, I will do it then…though it sounds from the above comments like ADD might not be considered an LD. It sure feels like one.
If not, they should have a category for "psychiatric" or "psychological" disabilities or "other".

According to current taxonomies, ADHD isn't classified as an LD. However, as you know, it often shares some features with LDs (like memory problems, reading comprehension difficulties, etc.) and often coexists with "true" LDs (e.g. dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, and I'll add dyspraxia even though that has been classified as a "motor disorder"...).

If the only choices on the form are something like "physical disability (mobility, deafness, blindness)" or "learning disability", I think you'd be A-OK in marking "LD". (It would also suggest they're behind the times with their forms, since chronic illnesses and psych disorders are disabilities that fall under their purview as well.)

In any case, glad you got your application in, and hope you have good grad school options! [EDIT: Oh, you got in - got in, not just got your application in. :yes: Congratulations!!! Now the real fun begins... ;P ]