View Full Version : 504 Plan?

Berksicle
02-06-15, 12:11 AM
I'm curious as to how many of your children have a 504 Plan or IEP? My son is in 2nd grade, was diagnosed with ADHD end of Kindergarten. We got thru 1st grade with no med changes and he did well. 2nd grade had a rocky start because the meds weren't helping his ADHD symptoms as well, but with an increase in meds he has been doing great. Above average in Math & Reading, teacher says his listening & attention is good, and he has self control & impulsiveness is much better with the med change.

Our Pediatrician has been encouraging me to ask the school for a 504 Plan assessment. I think I'm hesitant to do so because I don't want to put the spot light on mys on and his ADHD diagnosis. He's doing well academically so why rock the boat? Yet I know with each grade level the demands increase and he does have some trouble in the mornings getting settled into the classroom routine and it would be beneficial to him to have a plan in place for his furture teachers to know his ADHD diagnosis and things that would help him, etc.

Were you able to get a 504 plan for your child even if academically they are doing well? Thanks in advance for your feedback & opinions!

busymomonli
02-06-15, 10:27 AM
We did not have a 504 plan or inform the school of a diagnosis initially. Like you, I was afraid of the labeling, of making him feel inferior and singled out, and kids teasing. But, we hit fourth grade and it was evident he was on the decline academically. Homework troubles, missed assignments, and incomplete work started to pile up. So I started the 504 process and, even with a written diagnosis, we were denied. Although he qualifies under "other health impaired", part of the criteria says that the disability must "substantially limit one of more major life activities". He wasn't failing = it wasn't impairing his ability to learn. Despite the teacher's pleas that he was struggling and needed it.

Fast forward one year later, I reapplied. This time, by the time we had the meeting, first quarter grades had come out and he was failing one class and on his way with another. So, with that, they granted the 504. He struggled a bit at first with the teacher constantly calling him out to pay attention, pulling him aside.

Now, in middle school, he is doing great. He has come to terms with his ADHD finally. He even writes about it in his English papers. He's not embarrassed anymore. And, he made honor roll the first quarter! Middle school agrees with him. The changing of classrooms keeps him moving and he likes that.

You will see that as your son moves up in grades, the work becomes much harder and their patience much less. My son did great up until third, then wow, the work really got tough, and the teachers more serious. So you may want to get it in place before then. Most schools don't have a problem granting it with diagnosis alone. My school just happened to be a pain in the rear with it. Good luck!

Silverlocust
08-10-15, 10:06 PM
My son has a 504 plan based on his Dysgraphia, he's in 5th grade reading at a 7th grade level but his handwriting and spelling is really bad. The plan for him is very helpful, and not been an issue with school or teacher. He gets the allowances he needs to succeed, he's not singled out by the plan and it's made him happy because he just explains that he learns different. I know he has ADHD because I see so much of me in him. Just remember a 504 plan can be ended or readjusted as necessary. I went through the same doubts but in the end I'm glad we went with it since it's only been to his benefit so far.

sarahsweets
08-11-15, 01:47 AM
I have three kids-One son who was in crazy high honors classes by the time he graduated had an IEP, my middle daughter has a 504 and my youngest has an IEP. I think it depends on the severity of impairment and whether or not your child has stuff going on other than adhd. My son had dysgraphia, perception/OT issues and ADHD. I had to fight for his IEP when he was in pre-school to receive county services because it was 15 years ago and even then it schools were not as understanding as they are now. He was classified as special Ed until 5th grade and then took off like an eagle with school. My middle daughter has adhd and depression issues and never needed special ed. She mostly benefits from having an aid in the classroom and extended time on tests and special accomodations for standardized testing. My youngest has adhd, severe anxiety disorder and major depressive disorder. She was also classified special ed until 5th grade due to large groups being difficult for her, distraction, anxiety and needing speech therapy. Like my son, she is extremely intelligent and needs the extended time and special arrangements for testing. She was inpatient at the end of this year, and just graduated from her IOP due to suicide issues.

I personally believe that 504, and IEPs combined with meds and therapy saved my childrens' lives.

Lizzie80
08-12-15, 02:22 AM
I have three kids-One son who was in crazy high honors classes by the time he graduated had an IEP, my middle daughter has a 504 and my youngest has an IEP. I think it depends on the severity of impairment and whether or not your child has stuff going on other than adhd. My son had dysgraphia, perception/OT issues and ADHD. I had to fight for his IEP when he was in pre-school to receive county services because it was 15 years ago and even then it schools were not as understanding as they are now. He was classified as special Ed until 5th grade and then took off like an eagle with school. My middle daughter has adhd and depression issues and never needed special ed. She mostly benefits from having an aid in the classroom and extended time on tests and special accomodations for standardized testing. My youngest has adhd, severe anxiety disorder and major depressive disorder. She was also classified special ed until 5th grade due to large groups being difficult for her, distraction, anxiety and needing speech therapy. Like my son, she is extremely intelligent and needs the extended time and special arrangements for testing. She was inpatient at the end of this year, and just graduated from her IOP due to suicide issues.

I personally believe that 504, and IEPs combined with meds and therapy saved my childrens' lives.

Not to go too OT or be too personal, but based on your pictures you look so darn youthful, I'd never imagine you have a child who's graduated already. (I'm 35 and look very young for my age, so I don't mean this as a slam or anything. It drives me nuts when people treat me like I'm still 16 or something, since I'm old enough to be the mother of a teenager myself!) But I'm just sayin' it anyway- you're aging BEAUTIFULLY! :D

sarahsweets
08-12-15, 04:50 AM
Omg lizzie you just made my day! I turned 40 in February and sometimes I look in the mirror and go wtf old girl! I got married and had a son by the time I was 21. He turns 20 in February.

Lizzie80
08-13-15, 01:40 AM
Omg lizzie you just made my day! I turned 40 in February and sometimes I look in the mirror and go wtf old girl! I got married and had a son by the time I was 21. He turns 20 in February.

Wow, you barely look over 25...you have a 19-year-old?! I'm impressed! Yeah, when I first joined the forums and saw your pic, I just assumed you were in your twenties! :D

I do the same thing- I know that my eyelids have fallen some since I hit my mid-thirties, I worry about the faint hint of a chicken neck coming in (expedited by a lot of weight loss), and see a time coming when the lines in my forehead won't be something only noticeable in a magnifying mirror! However, my face is aging better than my body (in looks), so I'll try to enjoy my little bit of lingering youth while I have it. I tell friends about how I'm aging, they see me and go, "You look exactly like you did in high school- shut up!" Nah...I just know how to hide my aging with good makeup and wearing my hair long enough to hide behind it a bit!

Seriously, keep doing whatever you're doing- you look great!