View Full Version : Wellbutrin, 7 YO boy

chaosmind
02-20-15, 03:33 PM
Hello folks,

DS is almost 7 now and has ADHD. It has been diagnosed for 2 years but we were afraid to go down medications route. Finally, we are ready, but I don't want to jump on big guns like Ritalin.

How about Wellbutrin? Can one start with Wellbutrin, low and slow to see if it helps before jumping on the big guns?

Many thanks in advance.

TygerSan
02-20-15, 03:56 PM
Congrats on taking the first step. I know it's scary, but meds can help so much.

That said, honestly, personally, I'd be much more comfortable giving my child the "big gun" Ritalin over Wellbutrin. Ritalin has been used for years in children; Wellbutrin has not.

Ritalin is fast-acting (that is once you get over the initial titration of dose-- good doctors start low and slowly increase the dose), Wellbutrin requires a couple of weeks before you know whether it's working or not.

If Ritalin doesn't work for your child, you can pretty much just stop giving it to him/her without titrating down. I don't know if Wellbutrin is similar or not, but if you try to do that with some antidepressants, the withdrawal effects are very unpleasant. With the stimulants, there's likely to be a bit of sadness/tiredness, but that's about it.

sarahsweets
02-21-15, 06:01 AM
I agree with tyger. Wellutrin carries more risks for a child then ritalin. Stimulants are a first line treatment for adhd so I dont see why you would want to start with something that wasnt a first line treatment. Plus it can take like 6 weeks to see results and the side effects would be worse.

Little Missy
02-21-15, 08:59 AM
Wellbutrin would be like a sawed off double barrel shotgun for a child.

Ritalin would be like a nice safe big ole' squirt gun.

Just my opinion. :)

karbouris
02-23-15, 10:34 AM
Wellbutrin is stimulant like, or at least I found it to be. It wakes you up and makes you less hungry but I found it an OK medication but Ritalin is far superior. Wellbutrin made me crave caffeine really bad. Id rank Intuniv and Straterra to be the up the with Welbutrin. It might work for some but not very effective for people like me. Maybe you could try focalin, it works, lets your child keep their personality, and doesnt really stunt growth/affect hunger.

meesie
02-28-15, 01:23 PM
I ditto the advice on Ritalin first. Been being used for so long and is proven to work so well.

CrazyLazyGal
03-01-15, 03:21 PM
Does he have depression? Wellbutrin can work well in adults who have mild ADHD but whose symptoms are made worse by depression. I don't know about children though and I don't think it's been studied as well in children his age.

There are many options other than regular Ritalin. While there are non-stimulant options, those tend to be effective for a fewer percent of people and have their own side effects. Stimulants have the highest effectiveness rate.