View Full Version : Someone grabbed my arm

fracturedstory
02-21-15, 10:28 PM
When I was doing the job I do, which is taking photos of bands. It was a seated show and there was only two photographers. I was with the band so security didn't tell me to stop after 3 songs, but when the band had maybe 4 more songs to do this guy comes up tells me I'm being very annoying, that usually you take photos for 3 songs and tells me to stick to the sides.
He got very aggressive when I said this is my job and he grabbed my arm. I still took photos more to spite him, but stayed to the sides.

Then the next day I'm bullied by gamers online. Now I'm just not very trusting towards people, particularly men whom I've had little experience living with.

As some of you know I have PTSD after a near mugging. It hasn't triggered like this in a while though. I always feel like getting revenge on people who do things like this to me.

Maybe I'm overreacting but my anxiety just makes everything feel much worse, plus I have PMDD too and I can feel that my emotions are becoming harder to control.

Anyway, I'm finding it difficult to ignore these thoughts, to name them as 'just symptoms' as I usually do. So what do you do?

I really felt like I should have told security that he grabbed me in the way he did so he could get kicked out. I was just so scared he would hurt me after that.

BellaVita
02-21-15, 11:55 PM
Wow what a scary idiot.

Maybe you should take pepper spray with you to keep in your pocket.

:grouphug:

Lots of people in this world can't be trusted.

It doesn't get much better.

dvdnvwls
02-22-15, 12:08 AM
There are going to be idiots at concerts. It's not usually going to be perfectly clear how to deal with them. Maybe one piece of strategy would be, instead of saying "This is my job" to say "The band hired me to take pictures". That gives them someone else to blame at least, hopefully taking some pressure off of you.

I admit that I find concert photography extremely irritating and basically wish the whole idea would go away, but that's not going to happen and anyway it's no reason for you to get treated badly.

BellaVita
02-22-15, 12:15 AM
There are going to be idiots at concerts. It's not usually going to be perfectly clear how to deal with them. Maybe one piece of strategy would be, instead of saying "This is my job" to say "The band hired me to take pictures". That gives them someone else to blame at least, hopefully taking some pressure off of you.

I admit that I find concert photography extremely irritating and basically wish the whole idea would go away, but that's not going to happen and anyway it's no reason for you to get treated badly.

I wouldn't mind being your photographer at one of your concerts ;)

dvdnvwls
02-22-15, 12:35 AM

I don't play many concerts... last one was a few years ago... and if it's my concert then we're posing for pictures before or after, and that's it. :) I'm a music snob who hates having the audience distracted. Even with my piano kids having their informal year-end concerts, it has taken me many years to finally lighten up about parents with cameras - and I'm considering cracking down again, because I'm already tired of it. I'd say something like "No video, pictures, or recordings during the concert, but you're welcome to come back on stage afterward and do as many pictures as you want".

When a little kid plays his song in front of everybody, he needs his daddy to actually sit there right then and listen, not futz with a camera and maybe watch a crappy video next time it rains. Okay, my soapbox speech is over. :)

fracturedstory
02-22-15, 06:59 AM

You find it irritating? That's like the only job I can do plus it creates many beautiful memories. I ain't going anywhere and if it does well I'll blame people like you. I'm not on a mobile phone but using a DSLR camera with about 4-6 lenses. I don't see how professional photography like that can be seen as irritating.

I said 'I'm getting paid for this.' It doesn't matter what I said he kept saying I don't care. I'm not exactly the best at coming up with the right words to say in the moment too.

dvdnvwls
02-22-15, 04:13 PM
You find it irritating? That's like the only job I can do plus it creates many beautiful memories. I ain't going anywhere and if it does well I'll blame people like you. I'm not on a mobile phone but using a DSLR camera with about 4-6 lenses. I don't see how professional photography like that can be seen as irritating.

I said 'I'm getting paid for this.' It doesn't matter what I said he kept saying I don't care. I'm not exactly the best at coming up with the right words to say in the moment too.

Like I said, I know concert photography isn't going anywhere, and like I said, my opinion (which is simply that I came for the concert and not to look at some photographer's back) is no reason for you to be treated badly. You didn't deserve what he did.

fracturedstory
02-22-15, 08:14 PM

Keep it on topic guys.

fracturedstory
02-22-15, 08:17 PM
I don't play many concerts... last one was a few years ago... and if it's my concert then we're posing for pictures before or after, and that's it. :) I'm a music snob who hates having the audience distracted. Even with my piano kids having their informal year-end concerts, it has taken me many years to finally lighten up about parents with cameras - and I'm considering cracking down again, because I'm already tired of it. I'd say something like "No video, pictures, or recordings during the concert, but you're welcome to come back on stage afterward and do as many pictures as you want".

When a little kid plays his song in front of everybody, he needs his daddy to actually sit there right then and listen, not futz with a camera and maybe watch a crappy video next time it rains. Okay, my soapbox speech is over. :)
Last time I'm being off topic.

My brother takes some pretty high quality video of his daughters at ballet. They are capturing memories that they can go back and watch when their kids have grown up and left home.

While I think it's probably better to show the kid that you are watching in the long-term capturing the moment on video is more important.

stef
02-23-15, 01:51 AM
You're right it's your job and that shouldn't have happened !
We have a ohotogropher for our concerts and those pictures go up on our site.

The same person does concerts for my friend's brass ensemble, essentiel for publicity and she always captures that one moment, just at the rnd of a concert, when they have played well and are happy, well I can't put it into words but it's what musicines live for.

Wrenchman
02-23-15, 10:32 AM
When I was doing the job I do, which is taking photos of bands. It was a seated show and there was only two photographers. I was with the band so security didn't tell me to stop after 3 songs, but when the band had maybe 4 more songs to do this guy comes up tells me I'm being very annoying, that usually you take photos for 3 songs and tells me to stick to the sides.
He got very aggressive when I said this is my job and he grabbed my arm. I still took photos more to spite him, but stayed to the sides.

Then the next day I'm bullied by gamers online. Now I'm just not very trusting towards people, particularly men whom I've had little experience living with.

As some of you know I have PTSD after a near mugging. It hasn't triggered like this in a while though. I always feel like getting revenge on people who do things like this to me.

Maybe I'm overreacting but my anxiety just makes everything feel much worse, plus I have PMDD too and I can feel that my emotions are becoming harder to control.

Anyway, I'm finding it difficult to ignore these thoughts, to name them as 'just symptoms' as I usually do. So what do you do?

I really felt like I should have told security that he grabbed me in the way he did so he could get kicked out. I was just so scared he would hurt me after that.

I had something similar occur to me a few years ago. I enjoy drag racing and was taking some amateur photographs of cars at the local dragstrip... This was at night. I took some pics of the cars sitting around. There was this one car that really struck my fancy and the the guy was not a local guy. He was visiting family and brought his car to race while he was visiting. I asked him if he minded that i took some action shots of his car doing a burnout. He said it was no problem and to take all the pics I wanted. He was a very nice guy about it. I took a lot of pics of him that night. But one time while he was doing a burnout and I was taking pics this guy that was not even affliated with the guy I was taking pics of came up and told me I was distracting the guy and that I better stop taking pics of him..... It really miffed me... I explained to the guy that I got permission from the driver and the driver had no issue with it.. The dude was still adamant that I was being distracting to the driver... I think the main thing that bothered me was that I had permission. This guy had to voice his opinion about the situation and was totally wrong and still would not back down about it....

So sorry you had this situation happen to you!!!

midnightstar
02-23-15, 11:41 AM
You didn't deserve that, fractured :grouphug: He's an ahole :grouphug:

fracturedstory
03-04-15, 01:44 AM
I had something similar occur to me a few years ago. I enjoy drag racing and was taking some amateur photographs of cars at the local dragstrip... This was at night. I took some pics of the cars sitting around. There was this one car that really struck my fancy and the the guy was not a local guy. He was visiting family and brought his car to race while he was visiting. I asked him if he minded that i took some action shots of his car doing a burnout. He said it was no problem and to take all the pics I wanted. He was a very nice guy about it. I took a lot of pics of him that night. But one time while he was doing a burnout and I was taking pics this guy that was not even affliated with the guy I was taking pics of came up and told me I was distracting the guy and that I better stop taking pics of him..... It really miffed me... I explained to the guy that I got permission from the driver and the driver had no issue with it.. The dude was still adamant that I was being distracting to the driver... I think the main thing that bothered me was that I had permission. This guy had to voice his opinion about the situation and was totally wrong and still would not back down about it....

So sorry you had this situation happen to you!!!
It's the permission part that really miffed me too. I was asked to take photos. I was paid for it. I knew all the guys on stage and this was just some fan watching them and telling me the little he knows about the usual rules media photographers have to follow.

I'm starting to get over it. I'm starting to realise most people only care about themselves now and just ignores the fact that when in a public space they need to think about others.

I mean I was trying to stay out of peoples way but it was kind of hard to get the best shots by keeping to the sides of the stage.