View Full Version : psychopathy

Conman
02-22-15, 08:19 PM
<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-font-charset:78; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1107305727 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Helvetica; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:Helvetica; mso-ascii-font-family:Helvetica; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Helvetica; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> </style> rewatched American Psycho tonight cuz it was available

i find it interesting not just among me, my brother and some other family members (whose specific relationships i wont define) have various psychopathic tendencies. even more amusing to note is how psychopathy has never been defined as a disorder in the DSM, it's just another form of being in a way in that regard. everybody has psychopathic tendencies to varying degrees if we consider it as a continuous part of personality

but is that so bad?

if it is not diagnosable as something legitimate like the DSM (even tho that has all of its flaws in some way or another) can one with such tendencies be held accountable. well duh yes most courts in the world would immediately imprison

but in more the interpersonal aspects, the distant feelings, the coldness, callous indifference and lack of empathy for others...im seeing it more and more in somebody i hate when it comes to bringing out these tendencies of mine

DISCLAIMER: by no means am i saying im a threat to other anybody else's or my own safety at all. that's not an issue here. but im realizing more and more that some tendencies of myself, even my more dominant ones affect me on a day-to-day basis. to those who dont know me terribly well i can come off as an ***hole, cold, and distant.

im a very emotion-driven creature, yet i paradoxically show the opposite form of emotion for a good portion of the time.

a weird introspection i felt. i apologize if this made any of you uncomfortable. dont worry. this might be enlightening to me in some way to understanding my own nature.

dvdnvwls
02-22-15, 08:30 PM
Do you consider it possible that some of the tendencies you're seeing in yourself have to do with having ADHD all your life? Sort of in the category of "Well, if the world is going to treat me like that just for being who I am, then the world can just ****"?

Conman
02-22-15, 08:53 PM
could also have to do with the depression ive felt from a youngish age warping how i behave in some aspects

one of the reasons i volunteer at hospital is it's helping me build a bedside manner dealing with patients' families, cuz as many people have noted to me across my life "...to people who dont know you that well, you can come off as cold or a sarcastic ***hole"

stef
02-23-15, 01:30 AM
I think some people who have been faced with types of depression yet have a deeply emotional side, can become " cold" , as a kind of protection or defense mechanism. It's completely involuntary.

Conman
02-23-15, 03:05 AM
could be due to combination of all the goings on up in my head. ive always been impulsive but that can be attributed to ADHD, the coldness and callous disregard came later on. however i can "play nice" with those i dislike/hate as i see fit because it would make things alot easier depending on the situation context (talking to a person i hate alone compared to when we're with people for example, best not to make a scene)

Little Missy
02-23-15, 09:10 AM
could also have to do with the depression ive felt from a youngish age warping how i behave in some aspects

one of the reasons i volunteer at hospital is it's helping me build a bedside manner dealing with patients' families, cuz as many people have noted to me across my life "...to people who dont know you that well, you can come off as cold or a sarcastic ***hole"

Right there is a lovely, kind and compassionate man. Surely you must realize only a very special kind of personality does what you do. Bedside manner is EVERYTHING in the medical field. :)

Conman
02-23-15, 12:51 PM
well no that's where i trick people, really id rather not volunteer at the hospital, the bedside manner building is just a secondary benefit along with people hearing me volunteer making me sound like a more compassionate person, my real reason is cuz it's something good to put on a medschool application > : D

Little Missy
02-23-15, 11:34 PM
well no that's where i trick people, really id rather not volunteer at the hospital, the bedside manner building is just a secondary benefit along with people hearing me volunteer making me sound like a more compassionate person, my real reason is cuz it's something good to put on a medschool application > : D

Then keep up the trick because you do have to have lots of good things on your med school app. They like a lot of building blocks on there.

Conman
02-25-15, 02:53 PM
maybe ill end up being successful in the job world if i put my mind to it. readily hired to due to glib superficial charm among other things. ruthlessness is something i do when i must, but it's not always 'on'

dvdnvwls
02-25-15, 03:21 PM
maybe ill end up being successful in the job world if i put my mind to it. readily hired to due to glib superficial charm among other things.

The fact that you attribute some of your success to glib superficial charm makes me suspect that while you may be charming you're probably not glib or superficial. :)

Conman
02-25-15, 06:15 PM
i inaccurately use glib as a term for the types of comments i make that are smart*** comments but completely accurate in what i was commenting on

i dont know if i have much charm otherwise unless i put up the fašade and i can be anybody i need to. altho i typically do make people laugh on first meet unless im having a bad day and hating everything

Joker_Girl
02-25-15, 06:23 PM
I was told once that if you think you might be a psychopath and are concerned about it, you're not a psychopath.

This was because I didn't know antisocial personality disorder was the same thing as psychopathy, and when I heard the term "antisocial", I diagnosed myself with it immediately, and told my shrink that I was going to that I almost certainly had it, because I'm as antisocial as they come. Lol.

But I know about feeling cold and detached at times, because sometimes I feel that way, and empty like I can't feel....and I think maybe deep inside I'm not as nice as I try to be, and everyone thinks I am, because maybe deep down, I'm bad. But then other times, I get so tired of feeling so much. There is so much pain, and anger, and fear. But I just. Keep. Smiling. Because if I ever stop, it's going to be so scary.

I don't know what is wrong with me, or anyone else. I know I have attachment and trust issues. But sometimes I think, when I'm doing something nice, "why am I doing this? What's my motivation?" And I don't know. I hope it's because I'm nice. But I'm also really crazy. So idk.

Conman
02-25-15, 07:37 PM
i wish i could turn emotion off. sometimes i can, i usually show outstanding results when i do. after last semester i now know new emotions/feelings both good and bad. so i will be colder now to try and not be hurt/f***ed over again. however this doesnt apply to every situation, mainly when i deal with one particular subject/person. i catch myself doing old habits that led to downfall and i stop and try to keep control

i am very impulsive and can easily lose my inhibitions when angered (or when drunk naturally). anger in particular is an emotion i struggle with controlling. angered conman is focused on the point of anger and zones in on it. it's alot worse when im drunk and somebody supremely ****** me off somehow. ive needed close bros to do shots with me and calm me down cuz sober or not, there is about a 2/5 chance in my mind i would like to go cause some harm. i could. i never have, which is best. but i can see myself losing it one time and getting violent

dvdnvwls
02-25-15, 08:59 PM
There are a lot of reasons possible for this, but one of them is something like this:

- As people with ADHD we're pretty much all hypersensitive to everything in the universe. :)

- We don't have good control over our emotions, which makes us explode far too easily. The same problem with emotion control also sometimes makes us feel empty and blank. It's like the volume button on normal people's emotions goes 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9, but ours goes straight from 0.001 to 99.99, with no medium levels in between.

- A lot of us got yelled at all the time for stuff we knew wasn't our fault, or sometimes we got a lot worse than yelling.

Add those all together, and... :(

But that's not the only possibility.

sarek
02-26-15, 03:20 AM
Psychopathy is not about outward appearances. Its about a person's inner processing. The psychopathic view of his world is kind of like a mirror image of the worldview of most other people. Most people seek to exist within the world, they give a little (some more than others) and they take a little. In general the balance is near 50/50.

For the psychopath this is different. The psychopath considers himself to be the heart of the world. Everything within it exists to serve them. He does not feel bound by any laws of morality as he makes up his own morality. This can work out relatively mildly in some cases but often enough it leads to inflicting pain and suffering on those around him.

Its important to know that this is done not by mistake, but because that fits within the psychopath's view of the world.
If a "normal" person hurts another, whether knowingly or not, they would likely feel remorse when learning about it and they might try changing their behaviour if they could. If a psychopath does that, they would still continue the action even if they knew that it would hurt others.

Psychopathy is not about being unaware of other people's feelings. Its about not caring. Many pyschopaths are in fact empaths (make sure you see the differerence between empathy and sympathy), they know extremely well what another person is feeling. They know their weaknesses and the places where they can effectively manipulate another person.

Conman
02-26-15, 11:28 AM
isnt a classical trait of a psychopath lack of empathy tho?

sarek
02-26-15, 04:34 PM

No, actually its not. The misunderstanding is due to popular misuse of the words empathy and sympathy.

Empathy means being able to understand what another is feeling. As such however, empathy does not say anything about how one uses that knowledge.
Sympathy means using that knowledge in a benevolent way.

dvdnvwls
02-26-15, 05:17 PM

A person without empathy would probably seem socially awkward and would often misjudge how to talk to people. They would usually fail miserably if they tried to manipulate people in the way psychopaths are stereotypically expected to do, because without empathy they'd have no idea how another person might be feeling at any given moment.

A bully often uses his strong sense of empathy to "mess with" whoever he's bullying - because he knows how the other person feels, he also knows just what will hurt the most.

Conman
02-26-15, 06:02 PM
perhaps whenever ive heard/read psychopaths dont have empathy they mightve defined empathy a different way. ive always struggled knowing the straight definitions of empathy and sympathy except empathy is something you know and sympathy is something you do vs really feel, like you can feel sorry somebody's going thru whatever but cuz you havnt its all you can say

Fortune
02-26-15, 09:40 PM
A classical psychopathic trait is a lack of affective empathy. It's one of the defining traits. Affective empathy relates to emotions. Lacking empathy doesn't mean social awkwardness.

Psychopathy is not in the DSM but this doesn't mean it is not studied and understood, nor does this mean it is not as pathologized as anything in the DSM.

Antisocial personality disorder is not psychopathy, although it was established as a diagnosis with the intent to be a diagnosis that covered psychopathy. Robert Hare has some substantial critiques regarding ASPD being used as a stand in for psychopathy.

dvdnvwls
02-26-15, 09:53 PM
Thanks Fortune - I was wrong because I didn't know about the distinction between affective empathy and cognitive empathy.

BellaVita
02-26-15, 09:56 PM
Fortune - you're the master of PD information :)

Fortune
02-27-15, 03:43 AM
Far from it, but thanks.

Sickle
03-05-15, 06:14 PM
I only get manic and can relate to some states like that must be similar in the psychopathic mind at times... I am pretty wired in that state too but I never care what people say or threaten me with so I don't know if it is the same but I don't think of anybody but me in that state.