View Full Version : Beta blockers for excessive sweating?

ibuprofen
02-24-15, 12:12 AM
Has anyone been on a beta blocker for the excessive sweating that (for some people) comes along with stimulants? In addition to an ADD-PI diagnosis, I am medicated for anxiety and high blood pressure. My doctor is considering swapping one of my current blood pressure medications with a beta blocker to do the same job, but also potentially bring down the excessive overheating and sweating I'm getting with Adderall. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Corina86
02-24-15, 04:36 PM
I'm on Concerta which makes me feel were cold rather than warm, but I take a beta-blocker for high bp and it works great for me. It lowers my anxiety and I had no side-effects from it. You can give it a try and, if you don't like it, switch to something else. It's not addictive and there's no withdrawal (at least with my low dose).

Lizzie80
06-11-15, 12:58 PM
Has anyone been on a beta blocker for the excessive sweating that (for some people) comes along with stimulants? In addition to an ADD-PI diagnosis, I am medicated for anxiety and high blood pressure. My doctor is considering swapping one of my current blood pressure medications with a beta blocker to do the same job, but also potentially bring down the excessive overheating and sweating I'm getting with Adderall. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I don't have any personal experience with the beta blockers. However, Botox injections can be used at the problematic sites for hyperhydrosis (excessive sweating). Many insurance companies will cover Botox for that problem, although they may require your physician to obtain prior authorization for the procedure. I am not a medical doctor, but on the surface, I would have concerns about mixing a beta blocker with ADD medication. Not that it would be "dangerous" necessarily, but I imagine the beta blocker could seriously decrease the effectiveness of ADD medication due to its effect on norepinephrine. Since beta blockers work by stopping the "fight or flight" aspect of norepinephrine/noradrenaline, that could be bad for the ADD-er. Norepinephrine can give us drive and motivation. With the ADD-er that already has problems with that neurotransmitter not working so hot, for which they are treated with ADD medication, I just thought I'd throw that out there. Once again, though, I am not a medical professional. Everyone is different.

I run hot by nature anyway, and the overheating/sweating caused by Vyvanse are something that I must counteract with a med called Lyrica. I do not recommend Lyrica for people who retain water or put on weight easily, but it does help tremendously with hyperhydrosis and stimulant-induced anxiety for me, personally. However, my Lyrica is technically prescribed for fibromylagia, as it also helps with pain. The other benefits are just additional side effects for me. Sorry to be so involved in this reply, but I thought it might help you determine what course of treatment you could try out.

ADDinmedicine
11-03-15, 05:27 PM
Beta blockers are occasionally used for excessive sweating not related to medication side effects off-label. So for someone who needs a BP medication and has hyperhidrosis, it might be worth a trial. They also have been used as an adjunct medication for anxiety symptoms such as shakiness, racing heartbeat or palpitations and were utilized for stage fright symptoms some years ago. I was briefly on propranolol when I quit cigarettes in 1988 to help with the jitters/keyed up feeling related to nicotine withdrawl. It helped some.

Polymorphed
11-03-15, 09:51 PM
Excessive serotonin levels can lead to sweating, especially night sweats.