View Full Version : Feelings of unreality

midnightstar
02-24-15, 10:19 AM
When I'm out and about I feel like I'm not real or maybe I don't belong in the world, I feel myself shaking a bit and my breathing goes funny, am I losing my mind? Am I real or just a figment of someone's imagination?

TygerSan
02-24-15, 11:01 AM
Nope, you're not losing your mind. Pretty sure you're real, otherwise I don't know who I'm responding to (my stupid attempt at humor. I am certain that you are a real person and that I am conversing with you via the forum). You sound incredibly anxious.

Derealization is the clinical term for this. I used to get it when I gave presentations in college. Also felt it to the extreme the only time in my life I smoked pot. I felt almost like I was watching myself going through all the motions. Very disconcerting.

BellaVita
02-24-15, 11:06 AM
:grouphug:

Awww, sorry to hear you're going through that midnight.

I sometimes question too whether we're all real, whether this is all actually a dream or some other thing.

I agree with Tyger that you sound really anxious.

Maybe you can go easy on yourself try to rest? Maybe attempt a nap if you can?

I find that lack of sleep can make things weird for me.

stef
02-24-15, 11:47 AM
This has happened to me before; not often but it's always if I've been both preoccupied and tired. Also, every time I've had the flu and went back outside after a couple of days.
It's very unsettling!! :grouphug:

Flory
02-24-15, 12:24 PM
It's a horrible place to be , poor girl )))))big hugs(((((

Is it like de realisation sensation you can get before a panic attack.

This can be common in ptsd and sometimes when I get these feelings it's right before a full blown panic attack

midnightstar
02-24-15, 12:59 PM
idk what it is, all I know is it's horrible and I've got to force myself to be around other people, don't think its ptsd because nothing goes through my head during it, it just comes on suddenly then it's over after probably a few minutes? a few seconds?idk how long for sure

Corina86
02-24-15, 01:52 PM
Have you talked to a psychiatrist or a neurologist about this? It might be a side-effect of medication, it might be anxiety, but it might even be some sort of seizure. How long has this been going on?

midnightstar
02-24-15, 03:07 PM
Have you talked to a psychiatrist or a neurologist about this? It might be a side-effect of medication, it might be anxiety, but it might even be some sort of seizure. How long has this been going on?

I mentioned it to the mental health people when I went to see them but the woman there seemed to think I was wasting her time. I'm currently not on any medication for anything so it won't be meds related. It's only been happening since I moved from Yorkshire.

Flory
02-24-15, 03:10 PM
Midnight are you on any other meds atm honey?
Whoops just seen you responded

It's a fine art but you will start to learn after some time what your triggers are. I have diazepam for when this stuff hits a 10 and I can't deal but it's not something I'd wish to take every day as can exacerbate anxiety in the long run.

The best thing at this moment would be if you could get some counselling to really hash out what it is that's causing this or where it comes from. Mine I discovered is when I feel overwhelmed (too much noise trying to hard to be in the moment and know what Im doing especially under pressure) I just collapse I try with the help of my lady to get some structure so I can avoid situations like that, ie not going out during rush hour, or when it's really busy.

Be kind to yourself too, panic is horrible thing to deal with it's absolutely terrifying. Over time you'll Learn what triggers you and can work out some steps to put in place to deescalate but for the time being go easy on yourself ))))))big hugs((((((

midnightstar
02-24-15, 03:12 PM
Midnight are you on any other meds atm honey?

No the only meds I was on (antidepressants) I took myself off about a year ago

Flory
02-24-15, 03:16 PM
I just edited my post sweet, in response to your answer do you feel depressed still or ?

midnightstar
02-24-15, 03:24 PM
I just edited my post sweet, in response to your answer do you feel depressed still or ?

No I've not been feeling depressed since moving away from Yorkshire and adjusting to being away from there, the only thing that would make this place perfect was if I could reach a cat rescue centre I found in the local city :grouphug:

Corina86
02-25-15, 04:18 PM
Keep us up to date if it keeps happening.

Twiggy
05-17-15, 10:29 PM
It's a side effect of profound anxiety.

Pilgrim
05-20-15, 11:35 PM
It's a side effect of profound anxiety.

I use to get this a lot.sometimes it comes back.::(:o