View Full Version : How to study?

silverstar1178
02-24-15, 08:52 PM
I know this seems like a silly question but in one of my classes we have a test coming up, it's on 5 chapters, the text is really really dense with a LOT of information in it. Problem is we don't really have lecture notes to study. all her lecture is is just talking about figures in the book. so there's no notes to study there.

we read the chapters and take notes for homework but again it's still a lot of information. She doesn't give us a study guide, review or even a general idea of what to focus our studies on. so we really have to study EVERYTHING. we even have to know about all the graphs and examples too because she has a tendency to ask about those as well.

this will be the second test and i didn't do well on the first so i really want to study i just have no idea how, there's just so much information and just rereading the notes and sections of the chapter just doesn't do anything. it's far to much to take in at once and is just over whelming to my brain, i feel like i just can't retain anything. Then of course i start loosing focus because i get discouraged and it feels so pointless. :(

Pilgrim
02-24-15, 10:52 PM
Try to find someone whose done the course with her before. And hopefully they have notes.
She sounds like my lecturer in uni.

silverstar1178
02-25-15, 12:20 AM
well problem is most people don't do well in her class. (can you imagine why) but even with good notes it's a lot of information to study. I have her powerpoint "notes" online chapter summaries/study flash cards from the books webiste, my notes and the book. So there's no shortage of information.

the problem is the opposite to much. as there's no way to reduce it since i have to know EVERYTHING. 5 chapters (about 200 pages) and a test only about 20 questions long. and she asks the most random and either super general or super specific things. so it could come from anywhere in the book, could be about a specific example, a chart, table whatever. Just knowing the general concepts is not enough.

pooka
02-25-15, 01:08 AM
Definitely divide things up into sections so you're not overwhelmed trying to study everything at once!

anonymouslyadd
02-25-15, 08:53 AM
I went to a support group in which the leader suggested to get involved in a study group to fill in missing gaps of knowlege.

G.Debord
02-25-15, 05:17 PM
The study group is a great idea. I'm also wondering if you should talk to your teacher. You'd want to be careful not to sound like you are complaining or blaming her teaching style - and actually if that is what you think then maybe skip the talking to her part for now. But if you asked her for advice about how to study for her exams, how to prepare reading and lecture notes, etc, I'd be kinda surprised if she didn't want to help you with that!

MrsNewton
02-27-15, 06:57 AM
All the words in bold

The highlights from the beginning and end of the chapter

Use quizlet - Just making the flashcards will drill some of the info in.

Also, it helps do do a little chunk at a time. Read a few paragraphs and then try to paraphrase what you just read on paper, that helps it to really sink in.

Best tip I have is if you can teach it, you know it. Find someone to listen to you and try to explain to them what it is you're learning. For me, a lot of the time that makes it sink in.

sarahsweets
02-27-15, 06:58 AM
-open book.
-read book.
-WAL-LA!
JK.;)

Little Missy
02-27-15, 09:45 AM
I always got all of books for the nest semester the semester before and read all of them beforehand. Worked crazy good for me.

midnightstar
02-27-15, 11:02 AM
Would post-it notes up around the house work? :grouphug:

finallyfound10
02-27-15, 08:26 PM
study groups or even just 1 person to study with helped me so much!

Delboy31
03-01-15, 01:25 PM
As a professional student for many years, and as an Assoc. Prof., I would say listen to some of the great responses...my recommendation would be:

1. Flashcards...words in bold from the text.
2. If you are a visual learner as I am, you can also use diagrams etc.
3. Use your knowledge of the material to teach it to a friend who knows nothing about the subject. If they can understand it...then you have mastered the material.
4. Ask her. Rather than going along with the concept others have, talk to her, ask her what you should concentrate on, and what she would do if she were you trying to pass her test. Believe it or not, some profs. and teachers are remarkable human.