View Full Version : how much water do you drink?

Fuzzy12
02-26-15, 06:52 PM
To be honest I couldn't tell you how much I drink in a day. Id like to think it's about a litreat least but probably not.

whatever it is, it's not enough. I constantly feel dehydrated. My throat feels dry, my mouth, my eyes, my skin, everything. And I've got a constant headache. And dont get me started on my skin. Ive got ekzema on my hands and i just want to tear off the skin on my legs (maybe it's med related though rather just dry skin. ) anyway the dehydration feeling is seriously starting to annoy me. :mad:

I just don't feel like drinking water, especially not still. Sparkling is ok but when I run out of sparkling water the sahara becomes a desert compared to me. It's only when I wake up in the middle of the night that my thirst becomes so bad that I gulp down a river. It's interrupting my sleep.

Anyway, enough of rambling. I'm really curious how much you guys drink on average. Do you force yourself to drink more? Do you ever feel dehydrated too? What does dehydration feel like for you?

MimiFM
02-26-15, 07:26 PM
I have a two-quart pitcher for filtered water and I go through it in a day because my Adderall makes me thirsty. And that's in addition to whatever other liquids I drink during the day (mostly chocolate milk, coffee and tea).

But before I was on Adderall, I hardly ever drank water.

dvdnvwls
02-26-15, 08:05 PM
I drink more water when I remember to take a water bottle everywhere. I'm lucky that I work in places where re-filling it is relatively fast and easy. But if I forget the water bottle, I often also forget to drink anything for long periods of time, and come home in a semi-daze with a headache. :(

At home I keep a mug by the bathroom sink, and every time I'm in there I have some water. For me, convenience and habit are the keys for this topic.

sarahsweets
02-26-15, 08:09 PM
not enough.

willow129
02-26-15, 09:16 PM
I really struggle with this when I'm teaching, I just DON'T remember to drink and then at the end of the day I feel like ****. Trying to figure out how to deal with this, it's just that the instant I enter my school building I am BUSY. It used to interrupt my sleep because I would drink a ton when I got home and then have to pee a bunch in the night.

I think DVD's solution - convenience and habits - are the best way to go if you can figure it out.
(I always lose water bottles though!!!)

BellaVita
02-26-15, 09:26 PM
I drink more water when I remember to take a water bottle everywhere. I'm lucky that I work in places where re-filling it is relatively fast and easy. But if I forget the water bottle, I often also forget to drink anything for long periods of time, and come home in a semi-daze with a headache. :(

At home I keep a mug by the bathroom sink, and every time I'm in there I have some water. For me, convenience and habit are the keys for this topic.

I have a good method for determining whether you're dehydrated. :)

Unmanagable
02-26-15, 10:22 PM
I keep a 32 oz water bottle with me all day, unless I forget. I usually refill it at least twice a day.

I keep an empty spare water bottle in the car in case I forget to grab my usual.

I keep a favorite pretty and sentimental glass next to the kitchen sink so I remember to get a drink when I go by there.

I keep a jug of water next to my night table just in case I forget to fill my glass that I keep there.

I used to hate water, too, and thought whatever liquid I consumed was sufficient in hydrating my body, but eventually learned differently (like after four decades of marinating in the other stuff). I was raised on sodas and sweet tea, and later adopted a love for coffee and alcohol. I assumed since water was in the tea and coffee, that would work.

Edited to add:

When I don't drink enough, I get headaches, get fatigued much more quickly, get the pukey feelings, and tend to get snippy a lot sooner than usual.

Pilgrim
02-26-15, 10:45 PM
A lot, I think you need at least 2 liters a day.

Little Missy
02-26-15, 11:00 PM
Plenty. The only thing I do drink is water and coffee. Occasionally, tea.
I sure can tell when I don't drink enough water. Eliminating literally all processed foods and salt made a really big difference with me headache-wise.

pooka
02-26-15, 11:04 PM
I just got this dumb app called Plant Nanny that helps you track how much water you're drinking. Basically it gives you a little cartoon plant and every time you drink a glass of water, your plant gets watered, and if you don't drink enough water in a day, your plant dies. I've been meaning to get a water bottle but keep forgetting to, so I tend to drink a lot at once when I get dehydrated rather than sipping throughout the day.

spunkysmum
02-26-15, 11:09 PM
I don't drink as much as I should or as much as I used to. I used to tie water-drinking to other activities and it really kept me on board. Like, at work I used to take a certain number of swallows after I'd done a certain unit of work. When trying to drink a whole bottle of water with my Adderall before I even got out of bed, I'd sit up in bed and drink a certain number of swallows when the alarm clock changed to an even digit or even every time a minute passed.

I know it's not the healthiest incentive, but eating candy always makes me want water. So I might take a short time out to snack on a few candies and keep an eye on the clock, drinking water every time it hits an even number.

I have to have water on hand that I consider drinkable or I know I won't drink it. I don't drink tap water except if it's another kind of drink that's made with it, like concentrated juice or hot cocoa. And I abhor spring water.

Jenn1202
02-26-15, 11:58 PM
I drink around a gallon a day. I feel dehydrated when I don't and my doctors can't figure out why. I've been told that it could be my thyroid, but they don't know for sure.

Have you tried drinking gatorade?

Fuzzy12
03-01-15, 09:08 AM
I use kanbanflow to note down my tasks at work and on Friday I entered six more tasks for the day, each saying: "drink one mug full of water". I've got this large mug at work. It probably holds about 250-300ml and every time I finished it I ticked off the task. It worked quite well. I actually had a whopping 9 mugs full of water. So that would be between 2-3 litres besides a few cups of tea.

I still felt quite dehydrated in the evening but then yesterday and today I'm feeling better in spite of being slightly hung over.

I'll do this again on Monday. It's easy because I heavily use kanbanflow flow for all my tasks anyway. It works both as a reminder and as a tool to keep track of how much I'm drinking. :)

Fuzzy12
03-01-15, 09:11 AM
I have a two-quart pitcher for filtered water and I go through it in a day because my Adderall makes me thirsty. And that's in addition to whatever other liquids I drink during the day (mostly chocolate milk, coffee and tea).

But before I was on Adderall, I hardly ever drank water.

Dex makes me thirsty as well but somehow I don't feel like drinking anything. I used to drink a lot more when I was younger but somehow I lost that habit.

I really struggle with this when I'm teaching, I just DON'T remember to drink and then at the end of the day I feel like ****. Trying to figure out how to deal with this, it's just that the instant I enter my school building I am BUSY. It used to interrupt my sleep because I would drink a ton when I got home and then have to pee a bunch in the night.

I think DVD's solution - convenience and habits - are the best way to go if you can figure it out.
(I always lose water bottles though!!!)

I've got the same problem. When I'm busy I hardly drink and then I try to make up for it before going to bed and then I have to get up a couple of times to pee. It's really annoying.

Little Missy
03-01-15, 09:13 AM
I get really annoyed with urinating though. It is such a drag sometimes.

Flory
03-01-15, 09:39 AM
I drink about 3Glasses of water with meals and a big glass in morning and at night before I go to bed.then for other drinks I have a bit of a coke problem ....diet coke, I have Ribena & the usual tea and coffee with glasses of water in between sometimes.

I used to hate drinking water but gotten to find ice cold water with meals and other times really refreshing

Daydreamin22
03-01-15, 10:06 AM
I try to drink 6 glasses a day

Fuzzy12
03-06-15, 05:08 PM
How much water do I need to drink?? I'm getting so annoyed with this. I feel constantly dehydrated and I've got a constant headache. :mad:

Forgot to buy sparkling water again. In the office I'm ok drinking tap water but at home I just don't feel like.

I'm also annoyed with constantly having to run to the toilet. And it's still not enough. :mad:

Unmanagable
03-06-15, 05:26 PM
Magnesium may have something to do with that, fuzzy. I recently read something at the dentist's office about thirst being one of the tell tale signs of magnesium deficiency. I take a supplement in the morning and at night, along with several epsom salt baths a week. My initial goal in taking the supplements was to fight inflammation and help with sleep. It may have absolutely nothing to do with your hydration issue, but thought it was worth mentioning. Hope you get it narrowed down.

Greyhound1
03-06-15, 08:35 PM
I drink about 3 liters a day. It has to be cold and I drink it in binges. I probably can't absorb it all chugging about 1/2 liter at a time throughout the day.

It just seems impossible for me to pace myself and drink smaller amounts throughout the day like I should.

KentUnknown
03-06-15, 09:13 PM
I have a gatorade bottle and lately have found that I don't forget to drink water when I can just squirt some when I go to the refridgerator, which is often, i never know what I want. (or if I am hungry even)

InvitroCanibal
03-16-15, 06:04 PM
Not much actually. Like 2 glasses a day=16oz total. I dont really sweat much at all oddly enough so I guess that explains it.

It's sort of a myth that we need 8 glasses a day. It depends on the climate, season, and your body as well as your diet. We get quite a bit of water from food.

A lot of people confuse hydration with electrolyte balance.

midnightstar
03-16-15, 06:34 PM
I don't really drink water unless it's in tea (for some reason I used to drink water before my stepdad moved in now I'm back on drinking tea)

sarek
03-17-15, 03:32 AM
I have put myself on a program designed to put me into the habit of drinking water at as many moments as possible throughout the day. Suitable moments are:

- just after I get out of bed in the morning.
- After brushing my teeth.
- Any time I am in the kitchen
- Just before I go to sleep in the evening.

I have removed almost all coffee and 80% of the alcohol as well as all the added salt from my weekly intake. All these are dehydrating. Instead of coffee I drink tea, which is not the black tea, but green tea.

rickymooston
03-22-15, 10:57 AM
whatever it is, it's not enough. I constantly feel dehydrated.

Hi, have you consulted a doctor on this; e.g., have you been
tested for diabetes? (Forgive, I didn't look through the thread to see
if 10 people suggested the same thing or not).

My grade 10 biology isn't enough to diagnose a paper bag with sunburn but
you say you drink a lot and still feel dry throat! I think your body is telling you something which only a doctor can determine.

My wife makes me drink water every morning. It's probably a good thing. I then have my coffee (cutting to 1 or 2 a day).

I faint (syncope NMS) every once in a few years. After a recent incident,
I've started drinking more water and less caffenated drinks.

If you want to have "flavoured" water (juices, etc, etc), it is about the same to your body except many of these have sugar and if you had
diabetes, they will probably make you feel worse.

mimifromfl
10-02-15, 07:11 AM
Hey folks, it's my second time on Vyv:)anse and I had some side effects pretty bad (muscle pain dry mouth). I just want to share that Coconut Water is the way to go! Your body will be replenished with electrolytes to fight off muscle pain and its tasty and alkaline!