View Full Version : Psychiatrist or Psychologist?

adhome01
03-04-15, 10:16 PM
I was diagnosed with ADHD-PI by a psychiatrist almost 20 years ago, after a few visits and a couple tests. I've tried meds 2 different times over the years but they really didn't seem to help. I'd like to try again but would also like a more detailed diagnosis. My questions is, do I start off by seeing a psychologist for an evaluation or a psychiatrist?

Thanks for any help!

Greyhound1
03-04-15, 10:42 PM
I was diagnosed with ADHD-PI by a psychiatrist almost 20 years ago, after a few visits and a couple tests. I've tried meds 2 different times over the years but they really didn't seem to help. I'd like to try again but would also like a more detailed diagnosis. My questions is, do I start off by seeing a psychologist for an evaluation or a psychiatrist?

Thanks for any help!

I think a Psychiatrist would serve you better if you can get in without a referral. Most likely, Psychologist would have to refer you to one anyway for scripts for treatment.

I would also think a Psychiatrist could give you the most detailed diagnosis. I don't know how much more detailed you are thinking than subtype though?

ahmeda
03-05-15, 04:03 AM
I would also start with a pscyhiatrist. At least here in Finland, it is a psychiatrist who makes the diagnosis and "investigative" work.

Corina86
03-05-15, 03:59 PM
I saw a psychiatrist first who made the first evaluation, than I was sent to a child psychiatrist (who had experience with ADHD) for a more detailed diagnosis and to a therapist (who was actually a psychiatrist working as a therapist- great combo, no kidding!).

finallyfound10
03-08-15, 02:28 AM
Psychiatrist first as they can write scripts and then a psychologist for therapy.

adhome01
03-20-15, 04:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, I hate when people post and are never heard from again.

I'm now in the process of finding a psychiatrist and will update everyone on how it goes. My biggest obstacle is finding one that takes my insurance plan.

Thanks again!

oldtimer
03-26-15, 12:29 AM
I can't see any reason for the psychologist unless you have some kind of behavior that is getting you in trouble. Proper medication will reduce those behaviors by elimination the cause. Try reading the book Healing ADD. You can be your own advocate if you have an idea what is going on. Amen describes about 12 types each type requires different meds. Unless you get an excellent psychiatrist and have one of the common types you don't have much of a chance to get proper treatment. My shrink is a idiot! My primary dr pointed out my new medicine was to treat a symptom I don't even have. She probably figures the other doc isn't very sharp. I have inattentive ADD. We are not overly impulsive. I was told to stop it because it can cause a drug interaction with a drug I was taking. After reading the book I could follow the line of thought. My psychiatrist doesn't know or care what type of ADD I have. I use her because she takes my insurance and she will see me on Saturday. I do best on strong stimulants but I now take a long time to recover from the burn out so I use Ritalin and coffee. I only use the good stuff if I have to have extreme focus.

adhome01
04-16-15, 08:26 PM
Healing ADD - Daniel G. Amen

Thanks oldtimer for the book recommendation. I ended up finding it online. If anyone wants a copy send me a PM.