View Full Version : Nightmare.

Karamo
03-08-15, 03:24 PM
I come awake by my sister telling me; "Hey, Patrik, guess who's out in the yard!". I rouse myself and look out the window and see a couple of families in the sunny grass... In the middle of the laughs and smiles I see my old dog - the white german sheperd that I grew up with and whom I haven't seen in almost ten years. I hastily put on some clothes, run out and call out her name. She looks up, wags her tail and runs towards me. She's become very old but she recognizes me as if no time had gone by. I sit down in the grass and cuddle with her and after a while she falls asleep in my lap. I start to nap as well.

I wake up by shivering in the windy cold. It's very dark and no one's outside anymore. There are no lights on in any of the apartment windows surrounding the yard. It's completely desolate and then I remember; "Right! My old dog!". I look down from where I sit and I see a rigid, boney and decaying dog in my lap... Dead for many years...

That's when I wake up and my chest is so heavy it's hard to breath. I start to cry uncontrollably with a feeling of total emptiness and sorrow. I can't stop crying as I lay in bed... Isn't it scary how dreams can make you feel emotions so intense, so real and tangible...? A sorrow that wouldn't go away for hours...

stef
03-08-15, 03:35 PM
That's terribly sad! :grouphug:
is this a recurring dream?

Karamo
03-08-15, 03:44 PM
That's terribly sad! :grouphug:
is this a recurring dream?

No, I've only had it once, this last week. I never really reacted when they took the dog (my mother was having prolonged psychosis thanks to amphetmine abuse and quitting her meds, so animal rights took the dog since she didn't get cared for) nor thought much about it over all these years. I've always shared pictures of the dog because I really loved her but I never had an emotionally reactive connection to any of it (nor have I had it to anything, ever, like my beloved grandmas passing et cetera).

But this dream... Ripped me to shreds. I've never felt a sorrow so profound t.t Weird, huh?

javamonster
03-08-15, 09:43 PM
Wow.

Were you living at home when the dog was taken? (I hope she was rehomed, not euthanized) I think maybe something triggered the memories of your dog, and whatever you'd suppressed came rushing out.

My husband just had a dream about a mini pinscher we had rescued, who died a year ago. It wasn't nearly as terrifying as the one you had, though: in his dream, the mini pinscher pooped on the bedroom floor a couple times, then hopped up onto the bed and burrowed under the blanket like he always did, to my husband's complete amusement.

Little Missy
03-08-15, 09:51 PM
I have had and still do sometimes have terrible nightmares about all of my pets. And they all do end where I find them as you did also.'

I hate those dreams so much.

I hope you are feeling better now.

Karamo
03-09-15, 10:42 AM
Wow.

Were you living at home when the dog was taken? (I hope she was rehomed, not euthanized) I think maybe something triggered the memories of your dog, and whatever you'd suppressed came rushing out.

My husband just had a dream about a mini pinscher we had rescued, who died a year ago. It wasn't nearly as terrifying as the one you had, though: in his dream, the mini pinscher pooped on the bedroom floor a couple times, then hopped up onto the bed and burrowed under the blanket like he always did, to my husband's complete amusement.

I had moved out by then, since a few months back. She was given a new home luckily. I don't believe there was a particular trigger per se but I am emotionally crippled in the way that I don't react emotionally when something like this happens, regardless of how much I think about, talk about or admit it. Some people repress things in different ways I guess. It was bound to happen sooner or later I think but no external factor triggering it.

My cat ran away when I was a child and I didn't feel sadness or anything like that. I missed her in a logical sense but not emotionally. Four years later when I was 11 I broke down totally and started crying in the shower over it for no reason whatsoever.

I like it when dreams, as you described, have that impact too :)

I have had and still do sometimes have terrible nightmares about all of my pets. And they all do end where I find them as you did also.'

I hate those dreams so much.

I hope you are feeling better now.

Yeah it's just an agonizing feeling. Do they come along often, those dreams?

I managed to go back to sleep after two hours and I felt completely 'normal' when I woke up again...