View Full Version : Skin issues with Dexedrine?

Fuzzy12
03-09-15, 07:56 PM
My skin gets incredibly dry every winter. And I get a rash everytime I start, change or increase the dose of my meds. Normally it settles down after a while but this time it's just getting worse.

I'm not even sure, if it is dex. Maybe it's really just dry skin caused by the cold and central heating, etc. I don't know but it's annoying the hell out of me. Rashes and other skin conditions are supposed to be one of the side effects though.

Anyway, dry itchy red skin, little red pimples on my hands, red criss cross lines on my arms and legs. The red spots and lines come and go though.

I'll tell my psychiatrist but I'm not meeting him / her for another month and I'm not sure they'll tell me anything useful except for stopping the meds, which i don't want to do.

Creams and lotions only provide temporary relief. My hands alternatively look like a boiled lobster or as if I'm 30 years older.

Sorry, just blabbering and venting. I hate my skin. Has anyone ever experienced this?

Greyhound1
03-09-15, 10:41 PM
Could you be dehydrated also?

Fuzzy12
03-10-15, 01:20 AM
Yes, extremely. I couldn't find a clear connection between these two. Are they related?

Jenn1202
03-10-15, 02:04 AM
Yes, sometimes my skin gets very dry and itchy after taking Barr Dex IR. I also got this nasty rash on my hands when I was on Mallinckrodt Dex IR (it took months and lots of lotion to clear up). I've never tried any other generic. I'm not sure if it's the Dex or just the dry winter weather or possibly a combination of the two. I also get dehydrated a lot.

Pilgrim
03-10-15, 07:43 AM
The best thing to do for your skin is a lot of moisturizing. I think the two issues here are the change of seasons and an immune reaction. Immune systems are funny things. It could be a reaction to the medication also. It should pass soonish?

Flory
03-10-15, 09:31 AM
Is your house damp at all ?
My skin is much more sensitive on dee and if I'm in a damp house I get awfull hives and rashes on my face alongside dry skin
I usually put a prescribed steroid cream on and it clears it up

Wrenchman
03-10-15, 09:44 AM
I do not have the skin issues mentioned but I have another issue on dex.
I have exaggerated symptoms of Raynaud's Phenomenon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud%27s_phenomenon

My dad has it but I never had any symptoms until I started taking Dex.

This may be a little off the topic but thought I would interject since you mentioned your hands looking like a boiled lobster.... ( Trying to find the closest seafood joint for lunch today)

Fuzzy12
03-16-15, 06:40 PM
It's just getting worse. I'm pretty sure it's dex. Over the weekend, I just took a reduced dose and my skin was dry and itchy but not extremely so. Today I've taken a full dose and my skin is going crazy again. It's itchy and red and I've got boils or blisters developing on my hands.

I looked up Renaud s and it doesn't seem to apply.

It's annoying the hell out of me. I've actually got dandruff. I've never had a problem with dandruff. That feeling of dehydration is also not getting better. I haven't drunk a lot though. I wonder if it's possible that the dehydration is actually causing the skin issues. Or maybe I've got some sort of full body fungal infection that flares up randomly. :mad:

I'm going crazy. :(

someothertime
03-17-15, 07:04 AM
minimise showers ( :eek: ), natural foods ( almonds especially ) and the physiological help heaps babe... ( alas this sort of contravenes 1. )

prevention is also key me thinks... aka... these dastardly dermatwats once started take to the high ground. i have some cortosone creame which i resort to when they seem like taking hold ( minimally, for me... maybe twice a year for a few days )... it's a little bit like anti-biotics ( philosophically )... in that intense and sparse use seems to have the best effect...

may they vacate and dissemble your shiny surface.

peace babe.

silivrentoliel
03-17-15, 06:34 PM
Stimulants dehydrate you, so you NEED to drink a lot. That could be part of it. I'd also look for a hand lotion that's sold for nurses (because they are always washing hands, and they get chapped)... Gold Bond here in the US is a good one... and try that before giving up on the dex.

DRINK LOTS OF WATER first though lol see if that won't help.

Fuzzy12
03-18-15, 06:04 PM
I think, it's definitely dex that's causing the skin issues. I usually take a reduced dose on the weekends and rarely get a rash, just the usual dry skin. Today I forgot to take my last dose and again, no rash. My skin isn't even itchy.

I'm gradually increasing the time between doses again. For many months 2h intervals worked very well for me but for the last 2 weeks or so, I've started feeling quite uncomfortable after my third or fourth dose with no improvements in symptoms. I wonder what has suddenly changed. The only difference seems to be that I'm eating more.

Someother, I definitely need to start exercising. I'm.pretty hesitant though, apart from super lazy, because even with just walking my legs start itching unbearably.

Siliv, do you think that the skin issues might actually be caused by dehydration rather than dex directly? I really need to make sure that I drink enough water but mostly I just don't feel like..:rolleyes:

Fuzzy12
03-18-15, 06:05 PM
Flo, no, our house and also my office are way to dry, which I guess doesn't help either.

silivrentoliel
03-18-15, 06:17 PM
It doesn't really matter if you feel like it or not :lol: you still gotta drink

Fuzzy12
03-18-15, 06:19 PM
It doesn't really matter if you feel like it or not :lol: you still gotta drink

I know..:lol:

It's just difficult when I don't feel like it. It's like eating when you aren't hungry. It's easier at work, where somehow I can force myself but at home I really struggle.

Spektur
04-22-15, 03:50 PM
I get acne from my Dexedrine and/or Adderall. Drinking water is not a choice for me, if I'm not drinking water all day I feel like I could pass out. Im not sure which angle to use for addressing this issue. For instance, could be increased sweat production, clogged pores, dry skin, toxicity, or all of the above.

Basically I have to keep my face clean, moisturizer, and drink tons of water and I still have acne. It's only on my meds, I never had acne issues before. My wife is starting to say I look like one of those before and after pics for stim users. I'm like gee thanks. So, it's definitely a known issue, now I need to find out how to address it without quitting.

LaMbaL
03-14-17, 07:11 AM
Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I've recently started having skin issues as well, and I think it might be connected to long-term dexedrine usage. I've used dexedrine before for a couple of months without noticing the same issues, but now I've been using dex continously for around a year and I suspect that it might be causing my skin problems.

I've never had much problems with acne, even during my teenage years. But now it seems like I am developing pimples all over: most notably on my forehead, but also on my upper legs for instance. Also the skin on my knuckles is incredibly dry and irritated, to the point where I'm now using hand lotion to manage it. I've had an outbreak of eczema this winter, and although its been treated with ointment the back of my shoulders still show sores and scratchmarks that continue to itch.

Additionally, although I've had issues in the past with the skin under my hair getting itchy in the fall/winter due to heaters, this year its been especially bad: my head was constantly itching and starting to produce a lot of dandruff, and I've had to resort to prescription shampoo/lotion to fix the worst of it.

The acne and dry skin seem to be getting worse, to the point where I'm considering switching off of dexedrine again. Would be a shame, since the dex works well for my ADD. Could dexedrine be causing all this?

Postulate
03-14-17, 10:58 PM
Sadly yes, it's the Dexedrine. In fact, if you discontinue it under doctor orders, you should see good results in as little as 2 weeks.

The important question is, how come your skin is so bad at eliminating toxins? Do you go to the gym? Gym would help train your skin to eliminate filth without getting irritated.

LaMbaL
03-15-17, 04:13 AM
The important question is, how come your skin is so bad at eliminating toxins? Do you go to the gym? Gym would help train your skin to eliminate filth without getting irritated.

Good question. Sadly I already go to the gym twice a week, and have been doing so for years. I also tend to sweat easily and profusely, and while that can be annoying I'd imagine it should at least help with excreting filth... :scratch:

Fuzzy12
03-15-17, 04:57 AM
Good question. Sadly I already go to the gym twice a week, and have been doing so for years. I also tend to sweat easily and profusely, and while that can be annoying I'd imagine it should at least help with excreting filth... :scratch:

Are you drinking plenty of water? Also sugar makes my skin break out like crazy.

By the way my skin settled down again after a while on dex. The dryness never went away (but then I have very dry skin anyway) but the acne did.

LaMbaL
03-15-17, 07:36 AM
Are you drinking plenty of water? Also sugar makes my skin break out like crazy.

I have a waterbottle on my desk at work which I regularly fill, and I think I generally meet the standard 2 liters per day requirement.

I do have quite the sweet tooth, and should probably be more careful about my sugar intake. I'll try to keep an eye on that...

Good to know that your skinproblems have eventually subsided, I'll try to hang on to dex a little longer and see if there is another way to resolve my problems.

Postulate
03-24-17, 01:00 PM
I have a waterbottle on my desk at work which I regularly fill, and I think I generally meet the standard 2 liters per day requirement.

I do have quite the sweet tooth, and should probably be more careful about my sugar intake. I'll try to keep an eye on that...

Good to know that your skinproblems have eventually subsided, I'll try to hang on to dex a little longer and see if there is another way to resolve my problems.

I may not have had the same skin issue as you but I can tell what I did. I developed psoriasis, which is auto-immune. The way I cured myself is I took Omega-3 and also poured a few drops of it on my skin.. It went away after 3 days.