View Full Version : Only one with accomodations in course = very frustrating

MarathonEngineer
03-12-15, 09:40 AM
Anyone else have the pleasantry of being on the ball for your professors? I have no problem sending a quick reminder that I am taking the exams at the disability center; but when it comes to their predefined accommodations it is quite frustrating to make sure they remember to apply them.

Thankfully, at least this semester, my professors are all super nice and understanding and a quick "hey did you remember to add this" makes everything happy for everyone always works.

The only problem comes to TA's (teaching assistants/graduate assistants) who do not understand discretion... As in just openly asking if you have taken your exam at the disability center or will in front of the 200+ class.

Or asking if you will be taking it the 2 days later than everyone else, and then the whole class thinking you had an unfair advantage because on the surface I just seem like some other student who got a higher grade than them because I busted my rump to do so.

Lunacie
03-12-15, 01:27 PM
I haven't been in that situation. Crikey, didn't realize the problems
my granddaughter may be facing in a year or so.

Can you talk to someone at the disability center or your counselor
about the problem with the TA's blabbing your personal information
in front of other students?

Jenn1202
03-13-15, 02:39 AM
Asking you about testing accommodations in front of the whole class? Seriously? Seems like your TAs really don't get what it's like to have a disability and get testing accommodations. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I would try to talk to the TAs a week or two before the first exam and explain how important it is to keep it private (should be obvious to them, but apparently it isn't :mad: ).

sarahsweets
03-13-15, 04:09 AM
next time they ask you about your disability in front of th class ask them about their bowel habits in front of cclass. ;)