View Full Version : Does methylphenidate work on adults?

astrolabio
03-13-15, 07:53 PM
Hi, im 21 male with ad/hd and im on Strattera 60mg righr now since december.
The problem are the side effects and i see no changes on my focus, so i told my psychiatrist i want to swich to methylphenidate
(Im from Argentina and here Adderal, Vyvanise , etc are not legal) .
He told me , ritalin only work for kids and people under 12 years.
Ritalin wont work on me, so he wont prescribe it and i should continue with straterra.
What do you guys think? Someone over 12 years take methyphenidate and work?
ThaNKS IN advance,

namazu
03-13-15, 08:05 PM
Yes, methylphenidate can also work in adults with ADHD.

Your doctor is either misinformed, or just does not want to prescribe a stimulant to you. I don't know whether methylphenidate has official approval in Argentina for use in adults, so that may be another consideration.

But there is plenty of scientific research showing that methylphenidate and other stimulants work in adults with ADHD, and some forms of methylphenidate are approved for use in adults in different countries.

Corina86
03-14-15, 07:53 AM
It definitely works for adults, many of us here are taking it, but it might not be legal to prescribe it to adults in your country. In Romania, it's only approved for children and adults under 25 years, so I'm taking Concerta off-label. It took me a while to get my doctor to prescribe this to me though.

Jenn1202
03-16-15, 02:01 AM
Yes. I was on methylphenidate as an adult and it worked well for me for several years (until I started getting side effects). I know other adults who take methylphenidate and it seems to work for them. As an adult you may be more likely to have really bad side effects, but most people don't get them.

sarahsweets
03-17-15, 04:56 AM
Methylphenidate is not some magical pill that only works on kids.

Deyadissa
03-30-15, 03:28 AM
It does work for adults, but it didn't work for me. Concerta only worked for like 4 hours on a 12 hours pill. I went to adderall and it lasts like 16 hours on a XR pill.

According to online, that's not uncommon for Adderall to last that long, I guess I'm lucky.

astrolabio
04-23-15, 05:02 PM
I changed my medic.
This one told me the same , and gave me agomelatine WTF

DarkGhost909
05-30-15, 03:18 PM
Methylphenidate releases more dopamine than Amphetamine in children/adolescents, and Amphetamine releases more dopamine than Methylphenidate in adults (at least that's how it works in rats).

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2957786/

Canadian4Life
09-05-15, 02:18 PM
Yes it can work in adults. I am 27 and take it properly and it works for me. *Note that ritalin does NOT work for a lot of people I know with adhd.. they cannot tolerate it and are on dexedrine but with dosage tinkering and timing ritalin works for me.