View Full Version : When did your OCD symptoms start showing up?

willow129
03-14-15, 01:11 PM
My mom has OCD...I'm just curious

When did your OCD symptoms start showing up? (Or is it something you're born with?) What were the symptoms that you first had?

stef
03-15-15, 03:22 AM
Not sure if I remember correctly, did you also write she hoarder
and sorry to bring up a painful subject!
But my husband seems to have both these tendencies...

Little Missy
03-15-15, 07:49 AM
When there is a traumatic loss of some sort.

BellaVita
03-15-15, 12:42 PM
Well, ever since I was a baby I would line toys up and organize things and line up my toys all around me each night before bed.

I *think* that was an autistic thing, though.

I started getting intrusive thoughts and hand washing around 13. And other compulsions.

willow129
03-15-15, 05:33 PM
So, as I understand it, hoarding is a symptom of OCD.

I think my mom started hoarding when I was born (I have an idea as to why). That's what it seems from what my siblings say.

What are intrusive thoughts, Bella? And thanks for your reply :)

BellaVita
03-15-15, 08:00 PM

I think my mom started hoarding when I was born (I have an idea as to why). That's what it seems from what my siblings say.

Unwanted thoughts (like scary images or disturbing thoughts) that keep popping up over and over again and you can't push them away.

They often disrupt things like when trying to fall asleep. (They often keep me awake for an hour or two)

willow129
03-16-15, 09:35 PM
Ok thanks Bella :)

Anyone else with OCD who can remember when their symptoms first appeared?

Little Missy
03-16-15, 10:23 PM
When there is a traumatic loss of some sort.

See above.

A very, very traumatic loss.

Flory
03-17-15, 11:23 AM
When i was about 8/9

eclectic beagle
03-18-15, 06:50 PM
10 or 12 years old.

Delboy31
03-19-15, 11:14 PM
I think, but it's just a guess around 8 when my father left.

Little Missy
03-20-15, 06:31 AM
See above.

A very, very traumatic loss.

Or after a traumatic event.

Greyhound1
03-21-15, 07:24 PM
My first memory comes from when my parents took away my blankie. I was forced into giving up sucking my thumb around age 3.

Worst memory is at age 5, when I was told the truth about Santa. That one really hurt.

These our my first memories of obsessive thinking with extreme emotional reactions.

Hyperman87
03-24-15, 08:16 PM
Maybe in childhood?( I could watch my favorite movie,certain parts of it over & over again, Obsessively.) It got far more obvious around age 20! :) By this point though, I was already in the earliest stages of Parkinson's disease as well. There are genetic links between ADHD, OCD, & Parkinsonism!

http://www.empr.com/parkinsonism-adhd-common-genetic-link/article/359385/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25017045

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15734665

Hyperman87
03-24-15, 08:28 PM
Unwanted thoughts (like scary images or disturbing thoughts) that keep popping up over and over again and you can't push them away.

They often disrupt things like when trying to fall asleep. (They often keep me awake for an hour or two)

Yep, exactly! :):goodpost: This started for me around the age of 20. It nearly drove me insane!

bobabuoy
03-26-15, 04:48 PM
after a couple of panic attacks around age 24

daveddd
03-27-15, 07:30 AM

hoarding is more closely linked to adhd

daveddd
03-27-15, 07:31 AM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22923782

I'm a hoarder in a way

Little Missy
03-27-15, 07:35 AM

I'm a hoarder in a way

I am too. But only very special things.

stef
03-27-15, 07:50 AM

I'm a hoarder in a way

Could you please explain? what kinds of things?
I'm not I just have trouble sorting things but i'm getting there
yet i always keep just a few sentimental things
I have a candy container from when i was on a river boat excursion with my best friend and her son when he was a toddler.
and about a small drawer full of clothes. this skirt I bought when I had my first "real" job, etc.

my husband is the one with the actual hoarding tendencies and it's a problem because there's too much stuff and it un-motivates me to keep my own things to a minimum. I would go through the whole apartment but it would upset him.

thanks

daveddd
03-27-15, 07:55 AM
Could you please explain? what kinds of things?
I'm not I just have trouble sorting things but i'm getting there
yet i always keep just a few sentimental things
I have a candy container from when i was on a river boat excursion with my best friend and her son when he was a toddler.
and about a small drawer full of clothes. this skirt I bought when I had my first "real" job, etc.

my husband is the one with the actual hoarding tendencies and it's a problem because there's too much stuff and it un-motivates me to keep my own things to a minimum. I would go through the whole apartment but it would upset him.

thanks

well i don't think the things are important

for me though its tools

i can't stop buying them, duplicates of ones i have, ones i don't need , things like that

i have no room for anymore, yet i keep buying and buying

daveddd
03-27-15, 07:56 AM
The hyperactivity-impulsivity symptoms of ADHD may also play a role in hoarding. Excessive, often positively-reinforced acquiring behavior is common in hoarding (Frost & Gross, 1993; Frost et al., 1998; Frost, Tolin, Steketee, Fitch, & Selbo-Bruns, 2009), and hoarding symptoms are prevalent among excessive buyers (Frost, Steketee, & Williams, 2002). Hoarding symptoms have also been found in compulsive gamblers (Frost, Meagher, & Riskind, 2001) and in individuals with trichotillomania and skin picking (Samuels et al., 2002), suggesting some overlap with impulsivity. Using the Continuous Performance Test, Grisham et al. (2007) found that hoarders made more errors of commission than did healthy controls and mixed clinical controls, a finding consistent with impaired behavioral inhibition.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3038586/

this paragraph from the study describes me a bit

Little Missy
03-27-15, 08:10 AM
Very rare antique toys, well made antique furnishings, antique bouillotte lamps, silver, gold, cocoa, sugar, ammunition, firearms, wool blankets...I could go on and on but I try to keep the hoarding with items that are sellable or tradable in times of distress.

I am also a Snap-On tool hoarder.

Toilet paper and Kleenex. Medicines, first aid items.

Little Missy
03-27-15, 08:14 AM
And yes, I do keep sentimental things. Forever.

My dogs collars and tags. My horses bridles and halters.

A killer cane collection.

Artifacts.

Little Missy
03-27-15, 08:15 AM
Necessities. No dreck.

stef
03-27-15, 08:29 AM
the problem is that he cannot get rid of anything (nothing yucky though)
but I mean papers, and bags and boxes mostly. his office is actually starting to look like something out of "hoarders". but then maybe it's not OCD. But certainly not ADHD either!

Argh I feel bad, hijacking this thread and venting about husband...

Little Missy
03-27-15, 08:30 AM
but I mean papers, and bags and boxes mostly. his office is actually starting to look like something out of "hoarders". but then maybe it's not OCD. But certainly not ADHD either!

No bad feelings! That is what this thread is all about. We are all here for a reason.

daveddd
03-27-15, 08:31 AM

these are just associations

Hoarding can just be hoarding

these are mostly just dimensional human traits

eclectic beagle
03-27-15, 03:26 PM
OCD seems similar to adhd when it comes to being able to prioritize, ex: hoarding. From what I've read, there might be a dollop of magical thinking that might be part of ocd. Though I'm sure I'm generalizing too much.

Greyhound1
03-28-15, 12:38 AM
One of my many obsessions

I still want to buy more. You should see the amount of fishing tackle. It's ridiculous.

daveddd
03-28-15, 10:16 AM
its funny for years i never saw ADHD in my mom, now i do big time

one of her biggest things is the excessive hoarding/buying