View Full Version : I don't think Klonopin is working either!

GCTB74
03-16-15, 06:51 AM
I feel like a jerk that I seem to be the resident board complainer about meds NOT working, but I read a lot of the threads on this board and I'm just baffled, confused, jealous and I feel hopeless over how everyone else is describing being on meds! They all seem to work in these marvelous ways! And even the ones that don't work, people seem to be finding ones that do!

I'm not getting ANY of the reactions to meds that the rest of you seem to be getting! Good OR bad! I'm popping new pills right and left (as prescribed) sometimes 4 different meds at once for multiple issues and I feel EXACTLY the same as I always do. NO change in my problem behaviors!

So the other day I asked my Dr. (Psych Dr.) for a new anti anxiety to try. The Ativan I was on just wasn't giving me the level of relief it seems to give a lot of other people. So he put me on Klonopin. .5 Mg's but said I can take up to FIVE at once for a panic attack/anxiety attack as needed, since I seem to be resistant to low doses.

Once again I'm just NOT getting the effect I hear about from A LOT of others both on here and among my friends! My friend who is on it says when she has a P-attack she takes her Klonopin and 10 mins later she's telling me "I LOVE Klonopin...If Klonopin were a human being I'd MARRY it!" and ANOTHER friend who's on it, goes from a huge panic attack to practically skipping through the streets singing show-tunes and proclaiming "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah! What a wonderful day!" because she feels so happy and relaxed!

I took my first Klonopin the other day and...Nothing...

Next time I took 2...Nothing

I upped it to three and I finally felt that relaxed carefree feeling! I felt a little loopy, but loved it! Better than feeling a panic attack! It wasn't "Singing in the streets" relief, but it did "mellow me out" a bit. More than I've felt on Ativan. BUUUUTTT...

(a) It made me fall asleep (as Ativan also did after taking 3) I need this med during the day some times and if 3 is the only dose that works, how can I function during the day if it makes me fall asleep??

(b) The effect seems to have stopped. I took 3 a 2nd time (when I needed it) and got the "good" feeling (But still tired) Then the 3rd and 4th time I took 3...NOTHING!! And I was having a legit panic attack! NO MORE loopy, calm, mellow feeling! What the heck! It worked twice and then...didn't! And hasn't since! (My dr. prescribed it for me to take every day regardless of if I am panicking or not. he wants to see how it effects me, so I take it every day for a week and then report back to him)

So far the report is gonna be "Meh." it worked great twice...then did nothing after that. I certainly don't want to "marry" it like my friend said, or say it's a "Lifesaver" like another friend.

I like to also base it on one factor..."Could I take it and go on an airplane without freaking out?" (I am DEATHLY afraid of flying and will NEVER do it again, EVER! Haven't since 1996 and don't plan on ever boarding a plane again!)

My friends all say "Oh! Once you get on anxiety meds you'll be flying all the time! Just pop an Ativan or a Klonopin and you'll be LAUGHING on the plane and enjoying the ride!" They said it works for them and they are nervous about flying too.

For me? No way in HELL are Ativan OR Klonopin that strong for me! Even at Klonopins BEST (When I DID feel the calm, mellow effect) I could NEVER EVER go on an airplane even with THAT effect! It just would NOT be enough! Even at it's best I am still "aware" that I COULD still panic! It does not totally erase the panic or anxiety like it seems to do for everyone else! (even if it is just temporary)

I may start taking 4 or even 5 now. (Dr. said I could) But if it works, wont that just make me fall SOUND asleep??? I need this med during the day at times. Feeling mellow is great, but feeling tired and wanting to fall sound asleep during the day? NOT good.

I'm starting to think I'm never going to even get MILD relief from my panic attacks or my ADHD. NO drug has been good enough, even at high doses. The only drug that works for me now is Wellbutrin and even with that I wish it worked a BIT better.

Is there a panic drug that WONT make me fall asleep?? Why aren't my friends falling asleep? Why did Klonopin work twice and then NOT work after that???

Ugggh. I was SO hopeful about having a slightly "normal" life without my ADHD and Anxiety ruining it...but meds are just NOT happening the way they are for (seemingly) everyone else!

(b)

Abi
03-16-15, 07:43 AM
Try 2-3mg xanax.

Karamo
03-16-15, 08:24 AM
Steer clear from Xanax! 2-3mg (even if spread out over the day) will cause addiction within two weeks on average. Addiction is fine if it relieves the symptoms still but that's not the case with potent bensodiazepines such as Alprazolam. You will feel increased anxiety as well as mild motor deficits when you have a day or two off Xanax. The "rewiring" of GABAerbic function will cause the symptoms that the medicine was prescribed to relieve and bensodiazepine withdrawal is NOT as kind, easy and quick as stimulant withdrawal from high doses. This leads to people having to increase the doses to counter these effects. It's all fine hadn't it been for the fact that Xanax, along with Rivotril (Clonazepam; Iktorivil) and Rohypnol (Flunitrazepam) is extremely sedative and readily impairs cognition at the doses suggested by the poster above me. When tolerance builds up the sedating and hypnotic effects are usually not lessened at the pace that the anxiolytic (anxiety relieving) effects are.

I know people react individually and some take longer to develop dependance and some don't get as sedated as others but do note; Xanax is extremely addictive (much more so than any other bensodiazepine) and DO impair cognition even if the patient may feel otherwise (slight aphasia, for example, is very common in moderate therapeutic doses). I might be a bit gung-ho here but I've seen so very many people fall to Xanax, even when taking it 'just now and then'. It's a highly potent short term aid meant for sporadic use.

Anxiety in general is very individual and though the mechanics behind it is mostly the same (adrenergic response) the way people react to medication differs alot. Anti-anxiety medication DOES make most people tired because of how medication primarily acts either on GABA, adrenal functions or histamine (though the latter is disputed). I hope you manage to find a way to get some relief, it's trial and error.

Make sure you're clear off any Lorazepam dependance before you assess anxiety levels.

Best of luck!

Abi
03-16-15, 08:47 AM
Zannies FTW.

Lizzie80
06-11-15, 01:29 PM
Try 2-3mg xanax.

Thanks to the anti-benzo hysteria out there, Xanax can be extraordinarily hard to get prescribed, at least in the U.S. :( I've heard it's even more difficult to obtain in the U.K. (as are all benzos, I believe), where Dr. Heather Ashton's very anti-benzodiazepine stance and studies are often highly-revered. (Is there any drug left without public, doctor, and government hysteria? Besides the SSRI's, that is, which seem to be almost sacrosanct despite their little black box warning, withdrawal problems, and extensive side effects?)

To the OP: If brought up with a doctor, they may have concerns about the addictive nature of Xanax. If you try it, stay on it awhile, then decide to go off it, you may or may not have some problems. I have no personal experience taking Xanax. I know people that had no issue with withdrawal from Xanax (including my mom), while many others have claimed it was atrociously hard to come off of. Valium (due to it's much longer half-life, I suppose), is easier to withdraw from when the time comes). I cannot recommend or revile Valium. It has helped me, and did from day one, but it is certainly no magic bullet. I cannot believe the OP's friends advised him that it was the greatest thing on earth to be on benzos. I have never ONCE felt any sort of euphoria, feel like I can "conquer the world", or like I'm any different than who I normally am. It doesn't make me sleepy. That could just be me. Simply stating that this idea of benzo euphoria is news to me. Yes, it helps one cope...but does it bring on confidence or joy? Not that I know of.

Full disclosure: I have been on 5 mg Valium for several years, due to GAD and fibromyalgia (it also helps mitigate stimulant-induced addt. anxiety. Loads of fun trying to keep myself functional for this joyful world. I have discontinued it many times without withdrawal issues, often for months at a time. Nonetheless, my life gets stressful or my fibromyalgia pain acts up, I get panic attacks over money or my mother's significant disability or college on occasion- Valium helps. That said, I understand Xanax is quick-acting, has a shorter half-life, and is best for panic attacks. Valium is better for GAD or social anxiety, things that are more chronic, maybe not quite as acute, but more ever-present.

My doctor doesn't have a med-prescribing phobia to any great degree. At least not with me, although he's known to have it with obvious drug seekers who've got nothing really wrong with them that come in his office, a common enough occurrence just about everywhere these days. He has stated that he absolutely will not prescribe Xanax to anyone. He states he's heard too many stories of addiction, or of it being prescribed and then being sold on the streets for a lot of money, and of course the lovely DEA would then be knocking on doctors' doors for prescribing the stuff to the addict and/or dealer. My doctor has been my family physician for twenty years, we have a great relationship, a lot of trust, so I believe what he's telling me. Because of fibromyalgia, ADD, and anxiety, unfortunately I have been a guinea pig more than once. Neither he or I like this, it's just life. I don't ever take it personally when he tells me, "No, I won't prescribe that for you." He has great concern for my well-being, and we both try to keep what I must take to manage my conditions to an utter minimum, and only after exhausting every lifestyle change available. So when he expresses concern about addiction, about taking a med and the problems outweighing the potential benefits, I do listen. His concerns about Xanax may be entirely overblown, but they may be valid. For what it's worth, OP, I thought it might help you make an informed decision. Not to sound patronizing, that's not my intention.

I have heard of people using beta blockers for anxiety, too, but I have no experience with them. And they may be bad for ADDers with norepinephrine issues, as they block some flight-or-fight responses that we can sometimes lack already. I don't know what you've already tried beyond benzos, just thought I'd mention this.

Sometimes Lyrica can help anxiety, too, but I believe it's still off-label usage in the U.S. to be prescribed this way. It also has significant side effects, primarily weight gain. But it certainly has helped a few people, including when benzos fail. I would consider it a last-resort option; again, maybe you've already tried it and that didn't work, either.

Wishing you the best.
Liz

GCTB74
06-16-15, 06:22 AM
For me (Now STILL on Klonopin since my original post) Klonopin does NOTHING. No coping, no "even keel" no "calming down" no nothing! Nada, NO side effects, NO more sleepiness...It's like eating a piece of candy. I now take FIVE a DAY in one dose (sometimes just "as needed" though) But fact is, when I need it, my FIVE milligrams do absolutely nothing. I feel exactly the same. Turns out the ONLY 2 times I felt loopy on them was because I hadn't eaten all day and it was late afternoon.

I have friends that are "So jealous" I'm on it, because they were given ONE prescription to cope with a temporary situation and then NO refills. They said their .5 milligram worked SO well that they WISH they needed to be on it every day. Some compared it to "Being buzzed or mildly drunk without the alcohol!" I've known people who DON'T have anxiety and they have obtained Klonopin illegally (NOT from me!!) and they say "It's Amazing! I feel so relaxed, and I get more positive things done because any negative thoughts are cleared out of my brain!"

WTF? I take FIVE and I get "So, are you not taking meds anymore? You still talk way too much, act all hyper and are FULL of anxiety!" and I tell them "I just took 5 mg's of Klonopin an hour ago!" and they are in shock! They say I'm the FARTHEST thing from coping with my issues, being rational or being calm and worry free. They say "You've been fretting about EVERYTHING for the last hour! When's it gonna kick in???"------And it never does.

And don't even get me STARTED on my new Mood Stabilizer (2nd one in 2 mos) my mom and friends are saying my mood seems to be WORSE!

I'm on an anti depressant, anti anxiety and a mood stabilizer and all I do is walk around like I have a rain cloud over my head and I'm just a ball of doom and gloom. Ummmm...shouldn't these *expensive* meds be FIXING those issues???

Stevuke79
06-16-15, 12:20 PM
I'm not getting ANY of the reactions to meds that the rest of you seem to be getting!

From your post, I think you might have a misunderstanding about what people who have been on these medications, for more than a few days (or weeks or months depending on your metabolism), are feeling.

When most people take these medcations for the first time, assuming they have NEVER taken any of these meds before, legal or otherwise, we get high.

That's a side effect. It's the euphoria and 'good-feeling' that many people describe when on these meds. This euphoria helps a lot with our disorders, but it is not sustainable. It is not the desired long term effect of the med. This is why after a little while, people often wrongly conclude that their meds are no longer working.

Also, if you have taken these meds (or similar meds or substances) in the past, .. you will probably not get the high at all. (you got high from the substance you took way back.. and now you have tolerance.)

The only way to get the high back is to keep increasing the dose...

...I took my first Klonopin the other day and...Nothing... Next time I took 2...Nothing ... I upped it to three and I finally felt that relaxed carefree feeling!

Which is what you did in that instance ^^^^^

Pursuing that feeling is what we call "chasing the dragon"..

(b) The effect seems to have stopped. I took 3 a 2nd time (when I needed it) and got the "good" feeling (But still tired) Then the 3rd and 4th time I took 3...NOTHING!! And I was having a legit panic attack! NO MORE loopy, calm, mellow feeling!

And as you experienced,.. you will need an ever higher dose to get that same feeling back ..

I may start taking 4 or even 5 now. (Dr. said I could) But if it works, wont that just make me fall SOUND asleep???

You will simply develop tolerance to that dose as well.

The problem is that you are looking for the wrong feeling. What you think is the medication working is actually you getting high.

Don't feel bad or accused. this is a common mistake and not entirely your fault.

I now take FIVE a DAY in one dose (sometimes just "as needed" though) But fact is, when I need it, my FIVE milligrams do absolutely nothing. I feel exactly the same. Turns out the ONLY 2 times I felt loopy on them was because I hadn't eaten all day and it was late afternoon.

This will be the same cycle you experience at any dose.. you could take 20 a day ... and you would still build tolerance.

I have friends that are "So jealous" I'm on it, because they were given ONE prescription to cope with a temporary situation and then NO refills. They said their .5 milligram worked SO well that they WISH they needed to be on it every day.

They got that little high... they would lose it long term as well..

dvdnvwls
06-16-15, 02:38 PM
To the original poster:

When all medications are failing, it might be because your situation is too serious for chemical adjustments to affect. Consider an intense and extended round of therapy along with whichever medication(s) were helping to some extent.

sarahsweets
06-17-15, 02:40 AM
I think its important to understand what meds like this can do for you and to not have some grandiose hope about what you should be able to do after taking them. It sounds like you expect alot from them and are spending alot of time worrying and thinking about why you cant experience what "others" feel You will not experience what others feel for long, if at all because we are all different. Try not to compare yourself to those around you who have taken these meds. It sounds like benzos are not working out for you and you should consider something else. It happens, sometimes we need an alternate to the typical things prescribed for anxiety. Im not saying your doctor is bad and I am not a doctor myself but it doesnt sound like he was titrating you, and if that was his idea of titrating then personally I would be concerned. If he wanted you to take 1 and then work up from there, he should be doing that much more slowly, not having you take between 1-5. Its like he doesnt see the liability in that.