View Full Version : Are there studies of clinical combination of adderall and methylphenidate?

G.Debord
03-16-15, 03:22 PM
I'm unable to find much, if anything, studying the combination of adderall and mph for treatment of ADD. And if there is a reason this combination is bad, I can't really find it either. Curious.

Thoughts?

mildadhd
03-17-15, 10:22 PM
I'm unable to find much, if anything, studying the combination of adderall and mph for treatment of ADD. And if there is a reason this combination is bad, I can't really find it either. Curious.

Thoughts?

Interesting question, thanks.

My layman understanding of the abstract in the article below, they both help improve focus the same, but Adderall lasts twice as long as methylphenidate?

I have never tried adderall? (And I am unsure of side effects?) just curious as well?

I have tried 10 mg instant release (IR) methylphenidate, for a few years.

Then switched to 20 mg slow release (SR) for more than a few more.

For me, 20 mg (SR) methylphenidate lasts twice as long, as 10 mg (IR) methylphenidate.

But 10 mg (SR) was twice as strong.

Now I take 40 mg (SR) methylphenidate twice a day. ( at least 7 hours apart)

(with a medication vacation when the circumstances permit)(just went 4 days without metylphenidate, positive experiments with posture, but can't focus to read much)

I have only read the abstract in the link and am assuming they are referring to instant release (IR) methyphenidate?

The release times seem to be one of the differences between metylphenidate and adderall?

A few years ago, I tried the combination of 20 mg (SR) and 10 mg (IR) methylphenidate together and it was way to much for me. (Irritable)

In my experience, (SR) is not as not quite as good for reading focus as (IR), but lasts at least twice as long, life is more consistent, with less degree of ups and downs, (way to hard to remember to take 10 mg (IR) every 2.75 hours)

I sleep much better with (SR) (I think because it leaves my body slower?)

I think I may have added more questions than answers.

I haven't learned or compared the chemistry of the two substances, yet?

Both MPH and Adderall have been shown to be effective treatments for children with ADHD. Both medications appear to improve teachers' and parents' ratings of behavior. Single-dose treatments of Adderall appear to be as effective as 2 daily doses of MPH and therefore increase the possibility of managing treatment without involving the school in medication administration. In addition, youths who have previously been unsuccessfully treated with MPH because of adverse side effects or poor response may be successfully treated with Adderall.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10405498

P?

G.Debord
03-18-15, 11:20 PM
It seems like many people prefer one over another based on their personal experience, but I can't find anything, scientific or anecdotal, about being treated with both in combination. I'm wondering why not?! I've been taking concerta for a few years now and am curious about changing it up a bit. I was going to ask my doctor about vyvanse and possibly a combo because I still like concerta but from reading posts it sounds like there might be less anxiety with vyvanse..

namazu
03-19-15, 12:30 AM
In general, I think that doctors are hesitant to prescribe multiple stimulants due to the increased possibility of adverse side effects. Even though some people seem to get more side effects from one medication or another, they both affect similar neurotransmitter pathways and so could increase the risk of typical stimulant side effects -- appetite suppression, dry mouth, heart palpitations, etc. (At a dose of each medication adjusted for the fact that both are being taken at once, I'm not sure why that would be a particular concern, though.)

Scrutiny of controlled substance prescriptions may have something to do with it, as well.

I will say that, at one point, I had been prescribed methylphenidate and amphetamine simultaneously (taken on some schedule I no longer remember) -- by the same doctor -- and I don't feel it worked better than either one alone at the same or higher doses. But one anecdote does not scientific evidence make.

To the extent that the stimulants have slightly different modes of action, and people may respond differently to them, it seems plausible to me that for some people there might be some marginal benefit of combining medications like that -- just as some people take both stimulant and non-stimulant medications simultaneously to treat ADHD or ADHD + other comorbid disorders.

If there were some benefit to some people, I don't know whether some pharmaceutical company might try to combine them in a single pill, or whether the existence of separate pills already available means there's not much of a market for that kind of thing.

Good question, though!