View Full Version : ADHD is not a disease lol!

rickymooston
03-17-15, 11:17 PM
Well, I almost agree. I don't consider a learning disability a disease. I don't consider short-sightedness a disease either.

However, that doesn't mean that I agree people don't need medication. :scratch:

As I see it, a person with a learning disability (or disorder if you like that term), has issues that still need to be addressed. Medication is, a well researched approach that seems to benefit lots of people. It is therefore an option one should logically consider.

Whether you want to call short-sightedness, ADHD and a number of other things diseases or not rather depends on you. The question is, whether people need help and what are the best solutions to help them.

spunkysmum
03-18-15, 02:52 AM
Actually, I'm pretty sure ADHD has never been classified or termed as a disease. It is a disorder.

Corina86
03-18-15, 04:14 PM
Disease no, because it's not contagious.

Disability- I wouldn't call it that; ADHD-ers have problems because society makes it very important to have sustained focus, attention to details, good memory, perfect impulse control and the ability to sit quietly for hours on a chair; in a different environment, ADHD might not be such an issue.

Learning disability, yes, because it affects learning in the school environment (which requires sitting on a chair for hours listening to a teacher), so it can be considered that. It's not an offence, it doesn't mean we're dumb.

Disorder, yes. Because if causes issues in out ability to function (in modern society). Just as poor vision or an allergy can be a disorder.

BellaVita
03-18-15, 04:41 PM
Disease no, because it's not contagious.

Disability- I wouldn't call it that; ADHD-ers have problems because society makes it very important to have sustained focus, attention to details, good memory, perfect impulse control and the ability to sit quietly for hours on a chair; in a different environment, ADHD might not be such an issue.

Learning disability, yes, because it affects learning in the school environment (which requires sitting on a chair for hours listening to a teacher), so it can be considered that. It's not an offence, it doesn't mean we're dumb.

Disorder, yes. Because if causes issues in out ability to function (in modern society). Just as poor vision or an allergy can be a disorder.

For me ADHD is definitely a disability.

tinybike
03-18-15, 05:32 PM
I am disabled by my ADHD. I can say that for myself and not for others - it is up to each of us to name our experience.

ADHD is not a learning disability, though. It's a neurodevelopmental disorder. The mechanisms of learning for someone with ADHD (without comorbidities) are equivalent to a person without ADHD. The problems with "learning" typically come as a by-product of poor executive functioning and an inability to prioritize attention and energy.

Fuzzy12
03-18-15, 05:50 PM
As Corina said, usually disease refers to problems caused by infections but I guess normally the term is more broadly applied. Adhd is definitely a disorder but I too feel disabled by my symptoms.

I fully agree though with that whatever we call it what matters really are solutions and that people get the help that is appropriate for them

daveddd
03-18-15, 06:02 PM
causes me disabilities too

disease i believe like others said infectious , also not a singular cause ,

disorder , syndrome , i believe refers to symptom groups which all mental illness is

eclectic beagle
03-18-15, 06:25 PM
The definitions of add and disorder aren't opposed.

mildadhd
03-18-15, 08:32 PM
Impairment.

Mechanisms involved in ADHD are impaired.

Example

My ability to focus and read is impaired.

I can not focus enough to read and finish anything, random pages of random subjects, about what ever interesting topic comes up. (More overaroused from the bottom (emotional) than the top (cognitive))

When I take medications vacations, my ability to focus enough to read diminishes to pre medication moderate impairment levels.

Now I am sometimes quite aware of my impairment when I consciously take medication vacations.

blurry impaired vision?
blurry impaired self regulation?

P

KarmanMonkey
03-20-15, 04:22 PM
I would say that ignorance/intolerance is a disease, as it seems someone aflicted with this malady spews it from their mouth constantly, and that it seems to cling to others and can infect them as well!

But ADD? Not a disease. I agree with Corina; it's only a disorder because of the expectations of the culture we're in. If 80% of the population had ADD, the 20% would be the ones considered to be disordered because of their rigid thought patterns ;-)

rickymooston
03-22-15, 01:58 PM
Wow, all great answers.

Glad I'm not the only person annoyed with the scientology strawman.

spunkysmum
03-23-15, 12:07 AM
The definitions of add and disorder aren't opposed.

Inasmuch as the last D in ADD actually stands for disorder...agreed. :D

sarahsweets
03-23-15, 05:00 AM
I wish stupidity was a disease, then there would be more research into its treatment.

SB_UK
03-28-15, 10:57 AM
We need to see wisdom and not intelligence as the opposite of stupidity - because there're loads of intelligent people that're clearly stupid eg anybody who doesn't have a 'global' mind and so pursues pointlessness in daily life.
Big picture - alleviate suffering by all people having food/shelter - anybody doing anything that doesn't align with that prime directive is a (at least currently) waste of time.

SB_UK
03-28-15, 10:59 AM
CURE FOR STUPIDITY

(ALL TOGETHER NOW)

A PERSONAL ENQUIRY INTO MORALITY.

All people need to define is what is right and what is wrong ... ... and as soon as they can - they have a mind.

Not as easy as it sounds in this world of confusion.
Alternatively - incredibly easy if one possesses the capacity to ignore most of what you're taught and just engage one's own mind without the excess baggage of education (you must supposrt your country's sportsmen, healthcare workers are good people, the world would fall apart without the legal system, you must pursue money ... ... ...)

IT'S ALL NONSENSE.

We must all work to maximise the fun for one another so we've 10 billion people working hard on making sure that our once in a lifetime opportunity to be a human organismic life form complex cellular entity isn't BORING.

BORING IS BAD.

mildadhd
03-28-15, 11:08 AM
"Go there dready, go there"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGc73MqWouU