View Full Version : Magnesium

ahmeda
03-23-15, 07:36 AM
Hi. Perhaps there is somewhere a thread dedicated to this, but I couldnīt find it. If so, you can remove/transfer this posting start there.

Anyway. I was diagnosed as ADHD-I (ADD) two years ago. I have SAD for which I take 25 mg Sertraline in the mornings. I am 88 kg (200 lb), 178 cm (~6 foot), train on a regular basis 5-7 times / week.

Typical stimulant meds. did not work for me, cons were bigger than pros (tried Medikinet and Concerta). I am about to test Strattera on my summer vacation.

I feel normally exhausted every day, difficulties to start-up things, jittery etc. You know the drill...I talked this fatigue to my friend (did not mention ADHD). He suggested trying Magnesium.

By profession I am a chemical engineer with high skepticism towards supplements (well, I take whey protein and fish oil). But the price is cheap and you can have the stuff from shops and pharmacies, at least in my country. I bought chewable magnesium (in the form of Magnesium Oxide, they can be bought as magnesium chelates also, which are more soluble), and have chewed it now every morning after breakfast: one tablet, 350 mg.

After one week of usage, I am astounded. :eek: I feel 15-20% calmer, 15-20 % more focused. I notice this in my work ( I am better able to focus on for example creating demanding quotations without attention errors, typos etc. ) and at home ( I can actually watch TV-shows, which I donīt like that much, without moving or surfing in the internet etc. ) My stomach doesnīt work properly, but I donīt care since the benefits are that big.

I have difficulties of believing that this supplement could actually help.:rolleyes: Sun amount has also increased a lot here in Scandinavia and I have had positive things happening in my life. So this could be placebo or/and the other factors. But so has it been every year, but this feels different.

Have you had any similar experiences? I already sent a msg. to my phychiatrist and asked if there is any scientific basis which could explain this.

Take care. :)

spunkysmum
03-23-15, 12:37 PM
A lot of people here use magnesium to supplement their regular ADHD medication, to boost efficacy and resist building up a tolerance.

Corina86
03-23-15, 01:06 PM
I'm afraid it didn't work for me, but if it works for you, it's great! Magnesium deficiency can ADHD lots of ADHD-like symptoms.

Pilgrim
03-23-15, 07:22 PM
I take heaps of that stuff, it's the bomb.

Little Missy
03-23-15, 10:13 PM
I take heaps of that stuff, it's the bomb.

What kind, if you don't mind me asking.

Unmanagable
03-23-15, 11:48 PM
My body definitely benefits from using it. When I slack off and forget to take it, or don't do my weekly salt baths, I feel the difference via increased body aches, thirst, screwy(ier) sleep patterns, and fatigue.

I take a magnesium glycinate supplement twice daily and soak in epsom salts to absorb even more at least twice a week. My RD gave me a sample of a body oil spray to try too, but I didn't like the feeling it left on my skin, so I limited it to the bottoms of my feet right before bed time.

sarahsweets
03-24-15, 04:12 AM
I take magenesium at night beccause it helps me with my sleep.

ahmeda
03-24-15, 04:12 AM
Holy macaroni. Thanks for your posts.

So it could actually work?!:eek: Ill be damned. Ill keep you posted. This is somewhat short of amazing.

"I take heaps of that stuff, it's the bomb." Pilgrim, what do you mean by this?:) My English idiom-knowledge is not so good. Do you mean, you eat it a lot and it activates you? ( heh, I feel like Data in Star Trek with this question :lol:.)

ahmeda
03-24-15, 04:17 AM
I'm afraid it didn't work for me, but if it works for you, it's great! Magnesium deficiency can ADHD lots of ADHD-like symptoms.

This is what my psychiatric said. That actually I could suffer from Magnesium-deficiency also. He was of the opinion, that no reliable / scientific data exists that would confirm that Mg-supplements would help ADHD-symptoms.

Corina86
03-24-15, 01:41 PM
This is what my psychiatric said. That actually I could suffer from Magnesium-deficiency also. He was of the opinion, that no reliable / scientific data exists that would confirm that Mg-supplements would help ADHD-symptoms.

He's right.

Little Missy
03-24-15, 01:56 PM
haha, so I picked up a bottle of magnesium citrate and then looked it up and it appears that I just took two of them for a laxative???!!:eek:

Unmanagable
03-24-15, 01:57 PM
I don't recall where I read this, but it mentioned that back in the day, when peeps were admitted into a hospital, or had surgery, etc., that instead of an intravenous saline drip, they'd receive magnesium, but hospitals did away with it.

I'm guessing/assuming it was a budget issue of some sort along the way that prompted the change, but that made me want to pay more attention to it in regards to my own body and functioning, especially based on my success with other old school things (or 'natural' things) that modern medicine has done away with, or tends to ignore.

ahmeda
03-24-15, 02:01 PM
haha, so I picked up a bottle of magnesium citrate and then looked it up and it appears that I just took two of them for a laxative???!!:eek:

:giggle: good luck Little Missy. I understand that laxative-angle. I have spent more time in mens room lately.:rolleyes:

Unmanagable
03-24-15, 02:04 PM

I don't remember the exact reasoning, but the magnesium glycinate supplement was recommended specifically for the increased absorption rate.

If I can find my notes I took, I'll see if I wrote down any other factors she mentioned. I do recall her making it a point to tell me not to just grab what I'd find at my local wally world or drug store and expect it to help, based on the lack of quality ingredients. (saw another article recently where they tested a bunch of supplements from those places and many of them didn't even contain the main ingredient it was being sold as......grrrrrrrrrrrr)

I order either through her and the Thorne vitamin company, or I order from Swanson online and seek out the highest quality ingredients by searching for the organic/kosher/vegan options whenever possible.

Little Missy
03-24-15, 02:51 PM
Thanks Uns, at least I picked up Nature Made. Which is prolly UNnaturably Made.
I'll report back with the outcome or the outgo when and if.:lol:

*furiously looking up Thorne and Swanson*

Greyhound1
03-24-15, 03:18 PM

I think there are several factors to consider. Magnesium deficiency does cause ADHD type symptoms. There is research to suggest that many children with ADHD also have magnesium deficiencies.

Although, magnesium may not help ADHD symptoms if you're not deficient. Perhaps, ADHD depletes our bodies magnesium level more quickly.

Unmanagable
03-24-15, 03:20 PM
I can't find my notes, dammit, so I'm going to quit looking and they'll hopefully appear. Grrrrrrrr.....

Little Missy
03-24-15, 03:21 PM
:giggle: good luck Little Missy. I understand that laxative-angle. I have spent more time in mens room lately.:rolleyes:

whaaaaat??!! Great. Oh well, laugh it off or out I suppose. :lol:

sarek
03-24-15, 03:41 PM
Magnesium is a very essential mineral and many people are short in it. Magnesium is very important for the body to ensure that calcium ends up where it belongs, in the bones, and does not end up clogging your arteries are calcifying your pineal gland.

I am using magnesium but I am not ingesting it. The digestive tract is not that good at properly processing magnesium and heavy dosages can cause problems.
It is far better to apply the magnesium transdermally. There are several options like using certain bath salts that are rich in magnesium.

My personal solution is to use magnesium chloride. It is oily and can very easily be applied on the skin. If you treat as much of the whole body as possible, in some places you will feel a stinging sensation. When you get that, it is a surefire sign that you have a serious local deficiency of magnesium.

ahmeda
03-25-15, 04:47 AM
Magnesium is a very essential mineral and many people are short in it. Magnesium is very important for the body to ensure that calcium ends up where it belongs, in the bones, and does not end up clogging your arteries are calcifying your pineal gland.

My personal solution is to use magnesium chloride. It is oily and can very easily be applied on the skin. If you treat as much of the whole body as possible, in some places you will feel a stinging sensation. When you get that, it is a surefire sign that you have a serious local deficiency of magnesium.

Thanks for this. Chewable Mg-supplement really causes me stomach problems...

You know, this is sort of interesting. When I was a kid, I was very very small-boned: when I look my pictures when I was 6-12 yrs, I feel so bad, my legs really are like some famine-Ethiopian. I have started to drink massive amounts of coffee very young. So, I wonder if this all is somehow related? I mean a massive amount of coffee > causes jitteriness, working like diurete (mg / ca are going away from my body), I suffered 30 years lactose/stomach issues with constant diarrhea (I really thought it was normal, until my current wife said, that it is not normal to sit 15 times / day in mens room...). And my outlook was so small, really like skin and bones like famine type outlook. Well, perhaps this is bit too much, nobody has ever suggested this.

I donīt know, though. It would be really hard for me to believe, that my problems has been caused by Mg-inbalance. :eek: Anyway, could be that Mg-deficiency is the cause of my condition, or the result of ADHD. Well, lets see how this evolves. I also noticed that Mg-supplement would be good to take with B6-vitamin, because the B6vitamin enhance the cell ingestion of Magnesium. I already spotted a product which is MgOxide-B6 -tablet.

Anyways, I enjoy this feeling. I hope it lasts:):p. :grouphug::yes:

someothertime
03-25-15, 07:24 AM
just throwing these *factors* out there as both things i've seen ( here ) and aspects that seem key;

-*suppliments* are often seen as "giving" something extra. the vast majority of learned folk, often need to downplay ( f/actualize ) what they are doing, where, when etc....

aka... it's often said that the body stores many of these building clocks so providin one has a reasonable diet.... often.... adding extra can have a detrimental effect in that it may provide unhealthy excess or thwart, interfere or deminish the bodies ability to store and process natural sources autonomously.

that said...... so many seem to benefit..... myself included..... and i believe there is a correspondance with stress / excercise....... ( aka..... for me..... exercise does wonders..... then diminishes *?some?* reserves ) and in this sense this type of discussion / shared experience...... is so beneficial.....

also

- i believe that in this case, it's the way magnesium supports other realtime metabolisms / bodily processes that there is real benefit...... so..... there was a great thread i read here..... that went into HEAPS of detail...... if i ever run into it again i'll post it on here......... but from memory...... it really highlighted the medium / long term effect of stimulants in deminishing the bodies reserves / abilities.....

so this would be a really good avenue for discussion / trial ( definately ask your doctor first!!! ) aka.......

take for two weeks every two months ( purely hypothetical example... not necissarily right )..... this is my general consensus with ANY suppliment...... on / off periords...... and probably rotating product to negate any one having issues......

anyways.... so glad you found it beneficial and you hsared you experience with us!

Lunacie
03-25-15, 12:16 PM
so this would be a really good avenue for discussion / trial ( definately ask your doctor first!!! ) aka.......

take for two weeks every two months ( purely hypothetical example... not necissarily right )..... this is my general consensus with ANY suppliment...... on / off periords...... and probably rotating product to negate any one having issues......

anyways.... so glad you found it beneficial and you hsared you experience with us!

Interesting perspective. But I know from experience what happens to me
when I stop taking Omega 3 for a week. I return to the foggy-headed,
fidgetting, inattentive, interrupting, impatient, impulsive side of life.
I don't live there anymore. ;)

ahmeda
03-27-15, 03:02 AM
I changed to to Mg-Citrate + B6-vitamin pill because of stomach issues with magnesium oxide.

Pilgrim
03-27-15, 10:58 AM
What kind, if you don't mind me asking.

The spray on one. For the absorption. I put it on my legs cause it feels a bit weird.

ahmeda
04-07-15, 02:10 AM
With citrate everything goes well: no stomach issues whatsoever. In Finland the daily recommendation is 300 mg. In US it seems to be 400 mg for adult males. I take 300 mg in the morning, 75 mg in the late afternoon.