View Full Version : Have anti depressants helped anyone?

heavyiron15
03-23-15, 08:59 PM
Ive dealt with it for years, while things can make me quite happy, I still get hit with crushing sadness at least once a day. The only way to cope is to get angry. Ive never really had a relationship because i get horrible crushing anxiety.

Ive talked to the doctor and he wanted to give it time but discussed medicine, but i'm scared with my adhd being a zombie is the last thing I want especially since that's how I feel depressed anyway. I wanna be happy, not just sorta not care. I honestly don't feel like theres hope.

sarahsweets
03-24-15, 04:16 AM
If you have clinical depression or bipolar, antidepressants can be a life saver. They are for me.

FocusPocus10
03-28-15, 03:28 PM
If they hadn't helped anyone why would they exist?

Pilgrim
03-29-15, 05:29 AM
I've found the best antidepressant for me is the one that takes away anxiety. That soul crushing sadness is where Dex comes in. And like you I get really ****in angry when I get sad. Better than being sad.

rjbeal
01-03-16, 08:49 PM
My anti-depressants literally saved my life... but I have co-morbid MDD on top of ADHD-C and Complex PTSD... and it took my psychiatrists' nearly a year to find the right one.

dvdnvwls
01-03-16, 10:26 PM
Antidepressants don't fix ADHD, ever.

But ADHD often brings depression along with it, and sometimes an antidepressant is the right thing.

So if you have ADHD and depression, the antidepressant can help some of your problems but definitely not all of them. It can still be worth it.

If you maybe don't have ADHD, then an antidepressant looks even more hopeful.

DJ Bill
01-03-16, 11:00 PM
I was prescribed trycyclics for years and got some relief, then Prozac that did not work well at all.. last go round they prescribed Welbutrin for depression, and trazadone to help me sleep. They finally hit the right combination, and for once I stayed on it year round. Lately it seems it isn't working well and it definitely is not addressing the ADHD stuff (Or maybe it would be even worse if it were not...BTW that was three different docs And many more counselors. And three decades.

It's not like fixing a car, where you plug in the computer and it tells you to put in a sensor and the car gets fixed. It's more like someone calls you and describes how they feel about their car and you have to fix it...And all you have is unlabeled cans of oil, STP, Brake fluid, and power steering fluid that you can send them. Choosing mental health medications is far from a precise science, in my experience.

Prescribing drugs for depression seems to be as much luck as it is knowledge based. Some day we will be able to plug ourselves into a computer and it will tell us what the problem is with our minds and bodies, but it might be a few light years away. Until that happens we are stuck with trial and error.

I get to go to the doc tomorrow and tell him the Wellbutrin isn't working as good as it could, and I'd like to chat about ADHD and the reasons I think I might be affected by it.. Wish me luck!

Hathor
01-04-16, 02:16 AM
Antidepressants don't fix ADHD, ever.

nothing 'fixes' ADHD, but I find your answer offensively vague and deeply authoritarian

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8626348

dvdnvwls
01-04-16, 03:18 AM
nothing 'fixes' ADHD, but I find your answer offensively vague and deeply authoritarian

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8626348
I'm sorry - my tone must obviously have been really bad. That wasn't my intention, I assure you. Antidepressants do not have any direct effect on ADHD symptoms per se. Of course antidepressants help people who need them, but remedying ADHD's inherent deficits is not really part of that except perhaps by accident.

AnxiousLapras
01-06-16, 10:35 PM
I am not happy right now but my use of Lexapro has relieved the pain I get from taking Adderall