View Full Version : Daytrana dosing

meenmokanik
03-25-15, 03:04 PM
So the package says that it dispenses 2.2 mgs every hour for 9 hours for a total of 20 mgs. but the box says that each patch contains 55mg of medication. So if you leave it on longer than 9 hours is it still dispensing 2.2 mgs/hour?

And my son was taking 54mg of concerta orally on a daily basis, wouldn't the 20mg dose over 9 hours be insufficient for him?

I hope someone out there can shed some light on the subject for me.

p.s. why is there only 2 posts about daytrana even though this has been out for years?

Abi
03-25-15, 04:06 PM
There are many more. Check again.

Abi
03-25-15, 04:08 PM
Make sure "from the beginning" is selected for the show posts dropdown.

Jenn1202
03-30-15, 03:01 PM
As far as I understand, the patch was originally designed for 24 hours, but it was only approved for 9 hours in the clinical trials (due to skin sensitivity, I think). Due to this, the patch contains more medication than the amount that released in 9 hours. Another thing to keep in mind is that after a month or two on the patch, the medication gets released faster, so you end up getting more medication (or at least so I've heard). So 20 mg over 9 hours may end up having the same effect as 40 mg of methylphenidate. Also, 20 mg of Daytrana isn't necessarily the same as 20 mg of oral methylphenidate. Since Daytrana isn't delivered the same way as the pill form of methylphanidate and it goes directly into your bloodstream, there's a possibility that more of it gets absorbed. I was on Daytrana 10mg (4.4 mg / 4 hours) for about a year and it seemed to be more effective than Ritalin ir 5mg (5 mg / 4 hours).