View Full Version : Experience during/after menopause

Babyd19
03-28-15, 08:53 AM
Im curious.... those who are entering/currently in/done with menopause......
how was your ADHD impacted? did it get worse or better?
How did it impact your medication? did it seem to decrease effectiveness of your normal/usual; dose or make it more effective?

I notice changes now with my cycle and how it impacts my ADHD/OCD and how my medication is working. The happenings from month to month are not consistent. In fact I never really know what my cycle will bring anymore.... Im wondering if this will continue into to menopause or get better ( or worse- which I hope isnt the case )

Unmanagable
03-28-15, 02:56 PM
It remains a crap shoot for me. There are times when things seem to go smoothly, but then I'm quickly reminded how little control I actually have over a damn thing.

My hormonal hell(s) started kicking in more furiously around the same time I was being diagnosed, which added another layer of hell I wasn't prepared for.

I'm extremely fortunate to not have a strict work schedule to follow or young ones to care for at this point in my life, or I'm certain I'd be toast. Being married to my hubby who has all strengths where I'm most weak is a huge asset, too.

I still take the same dose of meds, but I tend to not take them as often due to my body's ongoing dislike of them via teeth grinding, bodily fatigue, extreme thirst, etc., although they still help.

Buckle up, pamper yourself every chance you get, on purpose and not just as a reward, and nurture your body as best you can. It's a wild a** ride.

Gypsy Willow
06-15-15, 12:42 PM
I had a full hysterectomy 3 years before I was diagnosed with ADD so I really can't say. I have heard though that some women have "menopause brain fog" but I've never actually met anyone that experienced that. Just read about it.

Lizzie80
06-24-15, 07:11 PM
It remains a crap shoot for me. There are times when things seem to go smoothly, but then I'm quickly reminded how little control I actually have over a damn thing.

My hormonal hell(s) started kicking in more furiously around the same time I was being diagnosed, which added another layer of hell I wasn't prepared for.

I'm extremely fortunate to not have a strict work schedule to follow or young ones to care for at this point in my life, or I'm certain I'd be toast. Being married to my hubby who has all strengths where I'm most weak is a huge asset, too.

I still take the same dose of meds, but I tend to not take them as often due to my body's ongoing dislike of them via teeth grinding, bodily fatigue, extreme thirst, etc., although they still help.

Buckle up, pamper yourself every chance you get, on purpose and not just as a reward, and nurture your body as best you can. It's a wild a** ride.

Wow, I thought I was going truly crazy. This whole thread makes me feel like I'm not alone. Great description of what it's like, Unmanageable. I am really sorry for anyone going through hell over the hormonal roller-coaster ride, don't get me wrong! But I truly believed I was heading into a psychotic break the last few days! Nope...changing hormones + ADD + stimulants, apparently.

I'm in early (peri?)menopause which was surgically-induced, and I no longer know myself for about a week out of every month. Even my PMS-from-hell in the teen years is no match for the weirdness I feel now about once a month. I have been on Vyvanse 21 months. I'm experiencing some behavioral changes that are pretty consistent in timing, but are something I've only noticed the last few months, although my peri-menopause symptoms started even before I was taking the medication.

During this bad time each month, I lose all motivation, my joints ache all the time, my focus shot to hell, which is bad enough. The last few months I've descended into some new all-time lows of depression, anxiety and, (this month) rage and paranoia. This has scared me to death. I did not have anything beyond just some rather run-of-the-mill, ordinary PMS from my late teens to my early thirties. I don't drink alcohol, don't smoke cigarettes, don't take anything which is not prescribed, I drink lots of water, eat healthy, and exercise 5-6 days a week. I have fibromyalgia, and tend towards some anxiety at times, but nothing truly extreme exists in my medical profile.

Am I the only one who cannot find any research on ADD in women related the the menstrual cycle and menopause, how stimulants affect the hormones as they go through our brain and central nervous system (especially with long-term use, and I'm referring to therapeutic doses)? There seems to be an utter dearth of info, although I guess since it's often thought of as something only young people, particularly boys, go through...research wouldn't be done on it very much. I feel at a loss.

How does everyone handle this on a monthly basis? Do you stop your medication? I'm only 35, in college FT, care for a somewhat disabled parent alone, am unmarried, and have children. I CANNOT afford to be out-of-commission in any way for a week or so every month while I'm a) hormonal as hell and b) off of my ADD med. This last month I have basically ruined a long-term friendship over some serious crying jags and the paranoia I was expressing, and I feel beyond awful for how I've acted towards them. I've raged like a fool at new heights over family stuff, with my anger coming from a genuine and logical cause, but producing an illogical and completely out-of-character reaction from me.

Pre-Vyvanse, I may have been an undiagnosed and untreated ADDer with plenty of issues from that alone, but overall was pretty stable and consistent in my character. I trusted my viewpoint steadily enough, knowing it was fairly dependable and based in reality. My mother was always a rage-a-holic and a terrible narcissist, and I am horrified at the rage and obsessiveness I can show at certain times of the month now. All the raging and everything vanishes as quickly as it appears, making me feel like I'm even nuttier! It does have a very clear cycle, but not a clear-cut cause or answer. I have a wonderful doctor, but he does not have any idea how to help with this matter.

HXofADHD.W/F76
07-14-15, 12:00 AM
Glad to see I'm not alone in this. I am just about to turn 39 and I recently stopped my Vyvanse 40 mg I was taking daily. I finish school so I wanted to 'detox' my system and get back to more frequent exercise. I believe however I may be experiencing adrenal fatigue as my body pretty much went strait into perimenopause mode after I quit taking my meds. Now I'm left with night sweats, horrible mood swings, weight gain, breasts have grown etc etc etc. I feel like I'm going completely insane some days. I need to get a job soon and my cycle has been making me mental as well as anemic so I hitting a hard patch right now.

I've been reading about supplements and hormone therapy. I have an appt with my gyno later this month to discuss some options. Anyone here experience anything like this?:confused:

Joker_Girl
08-06-15, 08:45 PM
I had a hysterectomy at 32, but I have noticed some maybe hormonal changes since my late thirties, and I am 44 now. I am more tired, more achy, and I gain weight more easily. I have to pluck more little chin or lip hairs (usually, I just get a wax, and get it over with, but my God, do those lip hairs in the middle hurt!) Oh, and the sweating. Holy cow.

I am also moodier and I think more scattered and random and disorganized in my thought patterns than I have ever been. I don't feel like my Ritalin is helping as much as it used to, probably not a shocker as I've been on it nearly 10 years, and at this dose probably 5 or 6. I will probably have to switch to Adderal eventually.

I have noticed in my forties, at this time when our kids are grown and less dependent on us than they once were, and I should be thrilled to have this freedom, a whole big house to ourselves, more money etc....well, instead kind of a wistfulness, I suppose this is a typical empty nest thing. I think about how I would like to decorate a nursery, and to have a little baby to hold and cuddle. I have had several dreams in which the kids are little, and even have dreamt that I was pregnant at my age, in fact that was what the dream was about. Here I was, in my forties, and visibly pregnant, very strange.

I suppose I've realized my own mortality, and that I'm closer to being a grandma than a mom, age wise. For some reason it bothers me, but it is what it is. Not so much getting old, just that my best years are behind me and I don't even know when they were. I think I was just in college the other day. And it was what, 20 years? My God. 25 or so since high school?! Yikes. What will the next 25 years bring? Nothing good, I fear. It scares me to death. I don't look forward to arthritis and whatever else. I worry about my husband even though he is in good health. His brother died at only 50, out of the blue. I don't know if I could live without him, hopefully I die first, selfish as that is. I don't want to be a widow, alone in a big old house.

So I guess I'd say I am depressed and stressed out over this time in my life.

theloner
09-02-15, 06:33 PM
I started to get lost driving in my hometown, then when shopping for whatever I would stare or look at all the products for over 15 min
My ADHD really kicked in big time:eek:
I really could not stand anyone talking for more than 5 min.
Both of my hands especially my knuckles were chapped raw.
I'd go into the bathroom and lock the door, needed some peace & away from anyone.
My neck was always red, I gained weight 10-15 lbs.
Started on thyroid med around 45, then after a time had my appendix out, then a hysterectomy.

This helped for awhile http://www.amazon.com/Emerita-Pro-Gest-Cream-tube-PACKAGING/dp/B000IMQE5U/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1441233057&sr=1-1&keywords=progest+cream

Selenium took away my terrible chapped hands.

It was certainly no spiritual journey;)

theloner
09-02-15, 07:01 PM
. I don't look forward to arthritis and whatever else. I worry about my husband even though he is in good health. His brother died at only 50, out of the blue. I don't know if I could live without him, hopefully I die first, selfish as that is. I don't want to be a widow, alone in a big old house.

So I guess I'd say I am depressed and stressed out over this time in my life.

There must be something wrong if you are not looking forward to arthritis;)

Get yourself out of the house, get in your car and drive somewhere, don't know if you take an anti depressant or not, now is the time.

I had all those feelings, its a real bummer.

It seemed after it passed, I spoke my mind more, said No more, and people hate when you say No, especially family.

You and hubby should take a trip, even a little trip, go to a motel ;),
I've been there