View Full Version : does talking loud a symptom of anxiety ?

picard
03-29-15, 04:22 AM
does talking loud a symptom of anxiety ?

I have tendency to talk loud in most conversations.
does anyone have the same problem like me?

sarahsweets
03-29-15, 07:41 AM
if anything I would say it could be an adhd thing simply because we have issues regulating everything including volume.

someothertime
03-29-15, 07:50 AM
all of the above.i do it.and i notice i do it more when i'm less confident in the listener or relaxed....

erm.... unless i go the other way and am quite softly chattery.....

so yeah...... regulation, feedback loop ( often misunderstood ) or don't get the "que" etiquette so volume replaces that...... anxiety / confidence......

speech is a huge non-verbal ( lol! ) thing!

Little Missy
03-29-15, 08:10 AM
I am a very loud talker. It is because I want to be heard and make my point clear. But many times I do not realize how loud I am or how far my voice carries. My voice can really carry far and it has surprised and embarrassed me many, many times.

I can go from state to state and invariably somebody, somewhere, always recognizes my voice and knows it is me even from 40 years ago! It happens a lot and usually I have no recollection of who they are but they sure do remember me.

Then I'll focus on not being so loud and I'll go in the opposite direction where no one can hear or understand me.

I can sing so loud and with so much volume that I do not need a mic.

Anxiety usually makes me quiet. Unless I need to be forcefully loud and then I go overboard and scare people away. Because I do not want them near me.

rickymooston
03-29-15, 08:58 PM
does talking loud a symptom of anxiety ?

I have tendency to talk loud in most conversations.
does anyone have the same problem like me?

It's a classic symptom of ADHD. I've moderated my loud talking and you are
aware of yours.

Talking loud, is annoying. If you are aware you are talking loud; e.g., people tell you,
you should make an effort to lower your voice

I've no clue about anxiety. I don't have that issue.

Greyhound1
03-29-15, 09:57 PM
I have suffered with lots of anxiety in the past and panic attacks. I feel like if anything, it causes me to clam up.

I definitely talk much more often, more animated and louder when I am not being choked with anxiety.

I prefer not to talk much when I am anxious, unless it's a discussion about what is causing my anxiety. When I become anxious, I get so caught up in my thoughts that talking about other subjects is mentally painful and extremely difficult. It feels like a huge annoying distraction from my worrisome thoughts.

Delboy31
03-31-15, 11:33 PM
Always told I'm being pushy/loud, and it's usually when I'm on a roll talking about something and want to be seen as knowledgeable or right. I am told I'm being too loud or annoying, but to me it feels like I won't be heard...I lower my voice, and end up talking so softly, or not at all as I feel embarrassed, and bad about myself.

Overkill
04-08-15, 02:06 AM
Not necessarily.
But I mean really, you should know.
Are you anxious when you are speaking at any time your voice is loud?
Or is the other person just far away, hard of hearing, it's noisy, or you are simply passionate about whatever topic it is you are speaking about to whomever?

On the opposite note, yes, it can definitely be a type of overcompensation offensively or defensively due to your current feedback settings.

stef
04-08-15, 03:38 AM
I wish I had a voice that carried sometimes, it actually causes anxiety having to repeat myself (ordering things, for example). I have to really speak up if there's any background noise, at all. It feels , like I'm shouting.

Me at lunchtime:
"is that for here or to go?"
FOR HERE
"will that be all"?
YES THANK YOU HAVE A NICE DAY.

Overkill
04-08-15, 10:32 PM
Ahh, Stef, you're adorable, lol :yes:

I wish I had a voice that carried sometimes, it actually causes anxiety having to repeat myself (ordering things, for example). I have to really speak up if there's any background noise, at all. It feels , like I'm shouting.

Me at lunchtime:
"is that for here or to go?"
FOR HERE
"will that be all"?
YES THANK YOU HAVE A NICE DAY.

coffeesudoku
01-21-16, 12:53 AM
I agree with the person who said that it might be ADHD if anything. I've never heard that as a symptom for anxiety, so I don't believe that it would be one. I mean most of the time especially if it's social anxiety they have a hard time talking. I know that I do.