View Full Version : When to take them...

willow129
04-01-15, 06:36 PM
Ok I had my first appt with my psychiatrist today, I got a prescription for methylphenidate which I picked up.

I work tomorrow with my kids until 4:30.

I'm trying to decide if I should take my first dose tomorrow, when I have to rehearse all day with my kids for our play, and I don't know how the meds will affect me, or if I should wait until the weekend. I'm really nervous/excited/anxious about it.

What do you guys think?

I hope me worrying about this isn't really stupid :-/ :-(

Little Missy
04-01-15, 06:38 PM
Yes, take them. You'll be fine.:)

Fuzzy12
04-01-15, 07:11 PM
You'll probably be fine but if tomorrow is very important then I'd probably wait till the weekend or any day where you can afford any sort of hiccoughs or have the flexibility and space to deal with any positive or negative effects that you might experience.

Having said that though I never had any problems on the first day I took them but I'd still rather err on the side of caution and do, you know, a trial run when there isn't any pressure or anything important happening.

BellaVita
04-01-15, 09:26 PM
I'd wait until weekend, just in case something goes wrong.

Maybe so you'll know what to expect.

willow129
04-05-15, 09:41 AM
Staring down my bottle of pills right now. So, I waited until yesterday (Saturday) to try my first one.

I don't think anything happened!!

My psychiatrist said if that happens, I take one and don't feel anything, it's ok to take 2. (They're 18mg so that would be 36 mg)

Should I try just one again today or should I take 2?? Making decisions is seriously hard for me. Aaagh

Little Missy
04-05-15, 10:57 AM
Take two. :)

Fuzzy12
04-05-15, 02:55 PM
Staring down my bottle of pills right now. So, I waited until yesterday (Saturday) to try my first one.

I don't think anything happened!!

My psychiatrist said if that happens, I take one and don't feel anything, it's ok to take 2. (They're 18mg so that would be 36 mg)

Should I try just one again today or should I take 2?? Making decisions is seriously hard for me. Aaagh

Try taking two but also think about what you are doing after you've taken your meds. Sometimes the positive effect can be very subtle so you might not actually feel them but if you try to focus on something you might find it easier.

willow129
04-06-15, 12:36 PM
I think I'll try 2 tomorrow, I took 1 yesterday and nothing really happened that I'm aware of! I certainly wasn't as productive as I needed to be lol...oh my poor boyfriend coming home from a weekend of gigs to a TOWER of dishes in the sink :-/

willow129
04-07-15, 10:59 PM
Took 2 today. Was really really drowsy. ? Weird. Was that the meds? I wasn't feeling tired before them, slept fine last night.

Trying to keep track of how much I accomplish too and see how I'm doing.

BellaVita
04-07-15, 11:37 PM
Took 2 today. Was really really drowsy. ? Weird. Was that the meds? I wasn't feeling tired before them, slept fine last night.

Trying to keep track of how much I accomplish too and see how I'm doing.

Ugh that sucks.

Sometimes too low of a dose can make one drowsy. (Also a too high of dose, but for me that's more of a tired zombie feeling)

Could you have accidentally gotten dehydrated or low blood sugar?

Ritalin was a sugar pill for me, so you never know it may not work for you.

Hope it does though. :)

Also - you could possibly be mistaking feeling drowsy for actually being calm and level. Just a thought.

willow129
04-08-15, 08:54 AM
Well I'm ADHD PI so sluggish is a common state of being for me, so I don't think it was that I was mistaking calmness for tiredness, it was genuinely that I wanted to lie down and take a nap. Lol :) I think it's worth mentioning that I /didn't/ though, I actually kept trying to work on stuff...often if I am tired I just give up and go to sleep cuz I can't do anything anyways.

Dehydrated - that's possible, I'm very bad about drinking enough...
Low blood sugar - no I don't think so, I ate a LOT for lunch yesterday :)

Thanks for your replies :) it's hard to know what I'm supposed to feel in a way... I also was definitely cranky and upset because my bf was leaving yesterday night for a week and I couldn't have dinner with him because I had to go to a PTO meeting (that literally made me want to cry). And our school play is next week and there are lots of details to keep track of. So it's like...am I feeling emotional because of the meds or are they actually having no effect and this is just normal stress?

But maybe they are doing something because I actually finished everything on my school to-do list yesterday, so when I'm home today (which won't be much) I can actually do other stuff! I can't actually remember when that's happened...

Little Missy
04-08-15, 09:05 AM
Yeah, meds don't take all the tribulations of life away. You're just fine. Keep on toiling away and you'll see that they are working and that you'll be working with them. :)

willow129
04-09-15, 07:05 AM
Question for y'all: If it says Methylphenidate ER on the bottle, how long does that mean they are supposed to last?

Fuzzy12
04-09-15, 07:40 AM
Question for y'all: If it says Methylphenidate ER on the bottle, how long does that mean they are supposed to last?

I think, officially it's supposed to be about 8-12h (at least for Concerta) but from what I've read on average they are effective for about 4-6h.

Little Missy
04-09-15, 07:43 AM
Sarahsweets posted an interesting video of the differences in generic ER and name brand Concerta this a.m.

willow129
04-09-15, 08:03 AM
I *just* saw that!! They are not all created equal?? That's like...making my brain spin. TOO many factors at play!!! Hahaha ;)

"The FDA noted that another version of the drug, an "authorized generic" made by Concerta's manufacturer, Janssen, and marketed by Actavis, had no such problems. " <-mine says Actavis on the bottle. So I think I'm safe?? Hahaha

willow129
04-09-15, 08:04 AM
Thanks Fuzzy!! **hugs!**

willow129
04-11-15, 11:11 AM
Posting a little update for myself...(I do have a journal I swear but I kinda use this place instead:P)
Took 2, Tuesday: was very tired, kinda sad wanted to cry cuz boyfriend was leaving. HOWEVER I actually got everything on my to-do list for school done! Everything! Was it because of the meds or because of the deadline of putting on the play next week? I don't know! And I don't remember the last time I've done that. Also completely organized files on desktop of my computer - I don't think I've EVER done that.
Wednesday, took 2: totally weeping at therapist appt. later I thought that was a little unusual - I mean I was talking about sad family stuff but ... I think about the same thing now and don't feel like crying...? Otherwise ... I was kind of out and about all day painting scenery for the play with my kids... I don't remember noticing anything in particular...
Thursday, took 2 at 7 am: Worked all day, I dunno...I think maybe I was less scattered. Didn't feel emotional or tired.
Forgot to take them on Friday...and boy I could have used SOMETHING. I would say Wed and Thurs were more focused and motivated than Friday. I was a LUMP.
Haven't been sleeping that great because of thinking about play next week.
The pills definitely, at this dose anyways, don't make me anxious or have panic attacks.