View Full Version : A Different Drum: An awareness site on SCT and inattentive ADD

ADifferentDrum
04-02-15, 09:38 PM
I wrote and organized A Different Drum (http://www.adifferentdrum.org), an awareness site on SCT and ADD without hyperactivity. There is very little information available on SCT and there are so many misconceptions. One of my goals was integrate lots of information from different sources so that people can be more informed. Like any other disorders, SCT and ADD are not just a laundry list of symptoms. There are actual personal stories behind each person with depression, bipolar, autism, schizophrenia, SCTÖ.you get the idea.

I have one of the purest forms of SCT with nearly all its symptoms and comorbidities (along with my own personal quirks). SCT struck a nerve with me too deep to let the issue go. I decided to go on a knowledge journey these last few years and A Different Drum is the result of that.

The site does have some quasi formality to it (compared to a blog), but I made it as easy to read as possible. Hopefully it addresses some questions that people may have on the issue. Besides, the ADDForums community has helped me out immensely and making this site was my way of giving back as well. Because of ADDForums, I have found some nearly identical clones of myself.

Let me know what you think and feel free to offer suggestions.

ADifferentDrum
06-23-15, 01:39 AM
To my surprise, I had sent Dr. Barkley an email and he responded back! Here's what he had to say:

This is a fantastic website with a nice discussion of the issues related to SCT or what I wish to call CDD now. I like your discussion of whether or not it is part of ADHD or ADD. Like you I hope that more research will get done now that we are arguing for this as separate from but in some cases overlapping with ADHD. The first neuro-imaging study was published two weeks ago showing that a different brain region is implicated in SCT compared to ADHD symptoms. It's a start. More needs to be done on that issue and especially on treatments. Thanks for your work promoting awareness of SCT.

Be well,

Russ Barkley, Ph.D.

BioLiberate
09-22-15, 11:31 AM
Congratulations on the response from Dr. Barkley! That is impressive!

Lunacie
09-22-15, 03:23 PM
Bravo for advocating and educating on this form of attention disorder.

This is a fantastic website with a nice discussion of the issues related to SCT or what I wish to call CDD now.

I had to look that up to see what CDD refers to. Concentration Deficit Disorder.

daveddd
09-22-15, 04:58 PM
Bravo for advocating and educating on this form of attention disorder.

I had to look that up to see what CDD refers to. Concentration Deficit Disorder.

all good stuff in this thread

but i have a bad feeling the name "concentration deficit disorder" is going to get a lot of stigma and nasty attention

aeon
09-22-15, 10:19 PM
I got excited when I saw it was cited. Or had citations, rather.

And validation and thanks from Dr. Russel Barkley, Ph.D. One canít do much better than that! Take a moment to be proud of yourself. :)

Regarding formatting, I suggest you add an additional line break before each blue-titled section. I think this will help overall readability and contribute to the visual impact of each section.

Well-done!
Ian

dvdnvwls
09-22-15, 11:17 PM
Congratulations on admirable work!

I do wonder, after reading some of what you've written, whether you intend to explore the possibility that ADHD-PI and SCT (or CDD) might be separate things that both exist.

Perhaps I'm wrong - maybe separating those two isn't realistically possible or logical.

BellaVita
09-22-15, 11:58 PM
Congratulations on admirable work!

I do wonder, after reading some of what you've written, whether you intend to explore the possibility that ADHD-PI and SCT (or CDD) might be separate things that both exist.

Perhaps I'm wrong - maybe separating those two isn't realistically possible or logical.

Does SCT have emotional dysregulation?

I know hardly anything about it.

I do know (and have seen) that those with ADHD-PI do have emotional dysregulation.