View Full Version : I think I had a meltdown in front of my therapist

fosterthehuman
04-03-15, 08:28 PM
I made an appointment with my therapist thinking i was going to just talk about my family issues and how i've been having problems concentrating at school. but yesterday, i felt sort of numb, and i couldn't get out of bed. i finally got up and left the house but i ended up rushing and being 5 minutes late. i still had to check in. I aksed the receptionist a question about payment and she looked at me like i was a stupid little kid or something. Then she said something that triggered my anxiety and all i wanted to do was leave. i walked into my therapist's office and apoligized for being late. a few minutes later, i was crying and talking about how i'm always late to everything, i'm skipping class all of the time, not turning in my hw and i feel like everyone thinks i'm stupid. she kept telling me it's okay that i was late to the session and that it's no big deal. but i just kept saying that i constantly mess up and i can't do anything right. idk what happened to me, i usually don't care if i'm a few minutes late. has this happened to anyone before?

TheChemicals
04-03-15, 08:56 PM
I made an appointment with my therapist thinking i was going to just talk about my family issues and how i've been having problems concentrating at school. but yesterday, i felt sort of numb, and i couldn't get out of bed. i finally got up and left the house but i ended up rushing and being 5 minutes late. i still had to check in. I aksed the receptionist a question about payment and she looked at me like i was a stupid little kid or something. Then she said something that triggered my anxiety and all i wanted to do was leave. i walked into my therapist's office and apoligized for being late. a few minutes later, i was crying and talking about how i'm always late to everything, i'm skipping class all of the time, not turning in my hw and i feel like everyone thinks i'm stupid. she kept telling me it's okay that i was late to the session and that it's no big deal. but i just kept saying that i constantly mess up and i can't do anything right. idk what happened to me, i usually don't care if i'm a few minutes late. has this happened to anyone before?

side effect of something your taking. ssris do that and so do stimulants.

willow129
04-03-15, 10:24 PM
If you are the member I'm thinking of, then I think you are consistently hard on yourself. Add everyone else's expectations on top of your own and it can definitely cause a meltdown when someone is lending a listening ear. I hope your therapist is helpful, keep going! Take a deep breath. Think about the good things you are doing, getting help for yourself, etc.

Lunacie
04-03-15, 10:38 PM
Your therapist sounds sympathetic, but not especially helpful.

At least half the time we have to wait a few minutes to see our therapist
because she kept talking to the prior client. So not a big deal if the therapist
has to wait a few minutes.

But when you are consistently late and it causes you so much anxiety,
the therapist needs to discuss why it makes you anxious and what you
can do about it.

That might be taking meds (do you take meds?) or setting phone alarms,
or something else.

:grouphug:

stef
04-04-15, 02:24 AM
it's ok to have a breakdown at a therapist's I should think! That's kind of their job. and it should alert her to the anxiety you go through. You didn't " plan" to discuss that but now you can get more help resolving this.

Little Missy
04-04-15, 08:28 AM
I pretty much figured that is precisely the place for a big ole' hairy throw yourself around wailing and gnashing of the teeth meltdown.

Fuzzy12
04-05-15, 08:04 AM
Yes, I was once almost 20min late to see NY psychiatrist because I just couldn't find the clinic. I'd been doing not very well and was desperate for this appointment. When i got there and he gave me a tough time about having seen a private psychiatrist. I realised he wasnt going to help me and I just couldn't stop crying. I also got pretty snarky and sarcastic, which I normally never am. Anyway, he ignored the crying and snarky comments but if I hadn't been so upset I'd have been pretty embarrassed.

I had a lot of hopes riding on that appointment. I guess i broke down because I just felt so hopeless and alone.