View Full Version : Need help gaining weight!

Cdnstargazer
04-06-15, 09:16 PM
So most people have problems losing weight but I need to find a solution to gain weight. Although I am at a healthy BMI for my height and weight, my bones stick out. My fiancee is worried about me and sometimes I feel a tad worried too.

I have been on Ritalin since I was diagnosed last fall. I've lost about 10lbs which doesn't sound too scary except that my hips, cheekbones, part of my chest and some ribs now stick out. I've found Ritalin suppresses my appetite but it does do a good job of helping manage my ADHD symptoms. So... how do I make myself gain weight? I do my best to eat my meals, with snacks in between and I drink a few alcoholic beverages every week. But sometimes I literally have to force myself to eat normal/large portions of anything.

I've looked on Google and most links tell people how to use ADHD meds to lose weight!

What gives? Tips would be seriously helpful. Thanks!

BellaVita
04-06-15, 09:22 PM
I have had this problem.

Try shakes and smoothies, ones that are protein-packed and calorie packed. (Healthy though)

Also do more weight lifting and muscle workouts - muscle weighs more than fat.

However be careful as you'll need more calories a since working out requires more, and your metabolism speeds up the more muscle mass you have.

If your BMI is healthy then perhaps it's just your body type. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless a doctor is concerned.

I knew a guy who was super skinny growing up...so then he ate lots of protein bars and started drinking dr pepper to gain weight. Eventually he got addicted to dr pepper and hasn't quit drinking it since, and has gained a bunch of weight.

So be careful as to not get addicted to anything unhealthy!

Also you may wanna enjoy the fast metabolism while you have it because as you age it'll slow down!

Cdnstargazer
04-06-15, 09:30 PM
The only problem is that this is a bit of a concern. If my weight keeps dropping then that's not good. My fiancee says this is a deal breaker and would lead to us breaking up. I think she thinks I'm doing this on purpose but I'm totally not.

RobboW
04-06-15, 09:45 PM
Have to do it the right way. If you just drink beer and eat a lot of pizza, that just makes a paunch and gets you unhealthy. You would need to do as Bella suggested, eat healthy but pack in the protein and calories plus excersise and try to gain muscle as well. You want an overall gain, not a paunch.

Greyhound1
04-06-15, 10:56 PM
The only problem is that this is a bit of a concern. If my weight keeps dropping then that's not good. My fiancee says this is a deal breaker and would lead to us breaking up. I think she thinks I'm doing this on purpose but I'm totally not.

Like Bella said protein shakes are great.

I sometimes even drink one with a meal. I can get like 1000 good calories in one meal.

Eat multiple healthy snacks like nuts or granola throughout the day too. It may take some time to get used to it but it will help a lot.

10 lbs is very reasonable to gain through some effort. Good luck with it and your FiancÚs ultimatum. That's rough.

hg12345
04-07-15, 12:21 AM
I have the same problem. I was already rly skinny before I started adderall and now I lost 6lbs on adderall and my BMI is rly close to being unhealthy. My doctor thought I had an eating disorder at my first visit because I look rly skinny. I don't though.
The main thing is not to ever skip meals. It's a rly tough one but if u skip meals it's impossible to get enough calories. Also, if you can eat a lot bec u get nauseous then make sure to eat a little of fattening foods. Also, bring food with u where u go. Like I bring granola bars with me in my bag and then I end up munching on them.

BellaVita
04-07-15, 01:12 AM

Wait wait wait....your fiancee would BREAK UP with you over your weight???

That's a big red flag.

RobboW
04-07-15, 05:45 AM
It sounds to me like she thinks he has an eating disorder and wants to make sure he doesn't.

Cdnstargazer
04-07-15, 07:49 PM
Yes my fiancee is concerned likely because in the past I had anorexia (though that was years before we were together).

I had a talk with her and told her that I would start forcing myself to eat more Whether I was hungry or not.

Corina86
04-08-15, 03:53 PM
If you've been diagnosed for only a couple of months, I think your body will get adjusted after a while and your weight will stabilize- at least mine did.

Also, it might help if you'd take a break once in a while, maybe on weekends, from medication, in order to eat more. Also, you might want to take your first dose after breakfast, so you'll eat more and the last one in time so that it wears out before 8-9 pm, so you'll be hungry for dinner. I wouldn't recommend working out too much until your weight stabilizes. It only made me lose even more weight. Is there anything that usually makes you hungry, like vitamins, fruit or spices? Or something you really adore eating and you can eat more of that for a while?

Fuzzy12
04-08-15, 03:57 PM
Try having a large, healthy breakfast before you take your meds. Also, when medicated k find it easier to have liquid food like soup.

Stevuke79
04-09-15, 04:13 PM
I had this problem and for me it was because (as is true for many ADHDers) i do NOTHING unless it's routine, or impulse to do it. Eating (and sleeping) never required routine because they had built in impulses.. until I started taking meds.

If your problem is similar to mine, it's remembering to eat and keeping track so you eat enough. Make a routine out of it. Put it on the calendar. Plan your meals. I used to be able to eat until I wasn't hungry and that was enough.. NOW, not being hungry isn't nearly enough.

Stevuke79
04-09-15, 04:14 PM
Oh also.. take a med break. I gain a few pounds EVERY med break. (the up and down stank.. so that wasn't a real solution though)

sarahsweets
04-14-15, 04:44 AM
Protein shakes have been my savior with weight. They pack a good bang for the buck and when blended with milk and other yummies they taste like a milkshake.