View Full Version : Would you tell your doctor?

Kimbosqueak
04-07-15, 03:32 PM
Hi guys. For anyone that has seen my previous threads, I finally got the Mallinckrodt pills so I no longer have to deal with Wilshire. After having serious issues including a freak incident in December that led to the ER and Ativan, I was taken off Dex and eventually restarted at low doses. I got the mallinckrodt early last month and it is SO MUCH BETTER than Wilshire in every way. For the past few weeks I have started taking 15 mg instead of the prescribed 10 (not all the time though) because 10 wasn't helping much during lectures and I requested an increase shortly after I started doing so. The pdoc declined because of my past issues with these meds and because I failed to make my point clear during our last appt and sounded like I was complaining of significant side effects. In reality there are almost no side effects and none are significant.

Would you admit to your doctor that you have essentially been misusing your meds to show him that an increase is not a bad idea, seeing as how you have already been taking your desired dosage with no real issues? Or would you be too concerned about him having a problem with this? It was either take more than prescribed or continue to miss important info during class and depend on an unreliable tape recording app that loses entire lectures.

AdderRoller
04-08-15, 08:55 AM
Sounds like you have had issues with mis-using your meds in the past and currently. Being open and honest with your doc is the only way to maintain a healthy working relationship with your meds AND with your doc. It will probably take some time for the trust to be built back up after said "freak accident" so I would just be patient and honest and take your meds as directed with fidelity.

sarahsweets
04-08-15, 04:11 PM
well you should always be honest and the fact is you are misusing your meds by exceeding the prescribed dosage without doctor's approval. In fact he told you he wouldn't give you a dose increase and you still did what you wanted to anyway.

Fuzzy12
04-08-15, 05:15 PM
Well, I think, first of all stop taking more than you have been prescribed and then talk to your doc about your options if your prescribed dose doesn't control your symptoms.

TheChemicals
04-08-15, 05:20 PM
i tell my doctor everything. My ultimate goal is for him to just tell me to stfu

Kimbosqueak
04-21-15, 10:24 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the input. I took a while to come back because I have been sick due to a flare up of my medical condition. I have not taken the meds for almost two weeks because there was no need due to the illness so I have gone back to the rxed dosage because my tolerance is down.

AdderRoller: actually I have no history of serious abuse. The incident happened after taking the prescribed dosage of 20 mg on a day when I had not eaten or drank water all day and was very tired. I took it upon waking up from a nap that didn't help. It was with the previous mftr (Wilshire) that I was taking which has given me nothing but issues. I had some very scary side effects that included extreme muscle weakness, twitching, worsened tics, rapid heartbeat with palpitations, and other anxiety symptoms. I was very stressed out that week before it happened. My pdoc promptly took me off and I started 5 mg again during finals week.

Sarah: I actually started doing this before I made the request because I had little choice. It's what made me feel that this was the better dose and decide to make the request.

I appreciate all your replies. I'm still not sure if being honest would be a good idea or not. I mean it would certainly prove to him that increasing is not going to cause any serious issues, but on the other hand it might make the situation worse. Any more opinions would be appreciated.

sarahsweets
04-22-15, 05:46 AM
Im all for honesty even when it hurts.

quickiB
04-23-15, 07:47 PM
I gotta go against the grain here and suggest you don't disclose your recent use/misuse. This is a time for pragmatism, not honesty. I've actually changed my opinion about how to best make use of meds (especially stimulants), to the effect that I feel its best to only take meds for areas where you absolutely need them to function.

Having taken them everyday (30mg = 2 x 15 mg Dexedrine Spansules), I found they stopped helping with executive functioning and focus and led to hyperfocusing on the most mundane and unproductive of things to do. I now feel they are extremely helpful in the sporadic sense and on an "as-needed" basis.

If I told my doctor about half the stuff I've done, they would probably think I was a very dumb person for actually being honest and tell me to find a new doctor. Your situation and pretty much all involving ADHD meds, is not a life/death thing.

Make sure you bring any extra pills or the bottle when you see them so you're proving you're responsible and, wouldn't you know it, "I forgot to take it on two ocassions" and ask themto dispose of them for you. They'll let you keep it probably for emergencies/supply and trust and respect you for demonstrating self-policing and disclosure.

These won't be popular opinions but I again urge you to consider not telling your doctor about this. Nothing good can come of it and its really in nobody's benefit when it plays out. The best case scenario is your doctor is upset and switches you to a non-stimulant "medication" (I say that because I believe the non-stims are an attempt for pharma to cash in on less-regulated and stigmatized placebos like atomoxetine et. al., rather than for the sake of the patient).

My doctor knows I read up on different meds and understand the pharmacology and indications of a given drug, and she actually expects me to experiment with what works best. Its like a blank cheque, but she also knows I value my sleep greatly and that anything that would ostensibly interfere with that will be a self-limiting behavior (like heavy and repeated abuse of stimulants).

I would caution you, however, to view your meds like a tool rather than the popular rationale that "Amphetamine for ADHD person = insulin for diabetic = eyeglasses for myopic person". i understand the logic but it could be a dangerous way to go for some people. We can medicalize it all we want, but even with things like painkillers (which despite bejng pharmacologically the polar opposite of amphetamine) we're finding out that what might be excellent for short term use is counter productive in the long term.

Stimulants are fantastic as a tenporary kick in the pants to get going but realize that the merry-go-ride can't go on and faster and faster forever. Keep in mind, I am extremely liberal about medical and non-medical drug use, but I mean it when I say that you don't want to take this everyday, it will start messing with you eventually. Its the same with any drug, even the beloved caffeine alcohol and tobacco. All of them in excess and when taken chronically will reduce your vitality in some regard. Amphetamine is no better and no worse than the legal bunch. Use it as a tool, and with the respect such an amazing and useful tool deserves.

sarahsweets
04-28-15, 04:50 AM
The thing is, taking more than prescribed will not necessarily prove you need more medication.

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I took a while to come back because I have been sick due to a flare up of my medical condition. I have not taken the meds for almost two weeks because there was no need due to the illness so I have gone back to the rxed dosage because my tolerance is down.

AdderRoller: actually I have no history of serious abuse. The incident happened after taking the prescribed dosage of 20 mg on a day when I had not eaten or drank water all day and was very tired. I took it upon waking up from a nap that didn't help. It was with the previous mftr (Wilshire) that I was taking which has given me nothing but issues. I had some very scary side effects that included extreme muscle weakness, twitching, worsened tics, rapid heartbeat with palpitations, and other anxiety symptoms. I was very stressed out that week before it happened. My pdoc promptly took me off and I started 5 mg again during finals week.

Sarah: I actually started doing this before I made the request because I had little choice. It's what made me feel that this was the better dose and decide to make the request.

I appreciate all your replies. I'm still not sure if being honest would be a good idea or not. I mean it would certainly prove to him that increasing is not going to cause any serious issues, but on the other hand it might make the situation worse. Any more opinions would be appreciated.

sarahsweets
04-28-15, 05:06 AM
I feel its best to only take meds for areas where you absolutely need them to function.

I need to function in all areas everyday.
I now feel they are extremely helpful in the sporadic sense and on an "as-needed" basis.
That may be the way it is for you but overall this is not the case with most.
Your situation and pretty much all involving ADHD meds, is not a life/death thing.
Yes it is life or death, at least for me. Without meds I am a very negligent driver and so forgetful that it can cause major problems for me in my personal life.

Make sure you bring any extra pills or the bottle when you see them so you're proving you're responsible and, wouldn't you know it, "I forgot to take it on two ocassions" and ask themto dispose of them for you. They'll let you keep it probably for emergencies/supply and trust and respect you for demonstrating self-policing and disclosure.
Are you saying that the op should lie about forgetting to take their meds everyday to promote a false sense of responsibility?

My doctor knows I read up on different meds and understand the pharmacology and indications of a given drug, and she actually expects me to experiment with what works best. Its like a blank cheque, but she also knows I value my sleep greatly and that anything that would ostensibly interfere with that will be a self-limiting behavior (like heavy and repeated abuse of stimulants).
Its good that you have this relationship with your doctor but most prefer the experimentation to be left up to medical professionals.

I would caution you, however, to view your meds like a tool rather than the popular rationale that "Amphetamine for ADHD person = insulin for diabetic = eyeglasses for myopic person". i understand the logic but it could be a dangerous way to go for some people. We can medicalize it all we want, but even with things like painkillers (which despite bejng pharmacologically the polar opposite of amphetamine) we're finding out that what might be excellent for short term use is counter productive in the long term.
I dont think it medicalizes anything to compare a lifesaving medication to lifesaving interventions of another sort. And I dont know why stimulants are always viewed as short term solutions. Do you have any evidence to suggest that stimulants are only good for short term, as needed help?

Stimulants are fantastic as a tenporary kick in the pants to get going but realize that the merry-go-ride can't go on and faster and faster forever. Keep in mind, I am extremely liberal about medical and non-medical drug use, but I mean it when I say that you don't want to take this everyday, it will start messing with you eventually. Its the same with any drug, even the beloved caffeine alcohol and tobacco. All of them in excess and when taken chronically will reduce your vitality in some regard. Amphetamine is no better and no worse than the legal bunch. Use it as a tool, and with the respect such an amazing and useful tool deserves.

If someone only needs stimulants on a temporary basis as a "kick in the pants' then maybe they do not had adhd and shouldnt be treated for it. Someone with adhd will need everyday help, not special help. And comparing stimulants to alcohol, caffeine and nictoine is totally wrong. Alcohol has no medical benefit, nor does caffeine for the most part. Whether nicotine does is actually something they are currently studying as its shown promise in certain people with adhd however smoking is not the route of administration that they are studying.
I am not trying to be mean or a dick but some of your opinions on treatment with stimulants and thew advice you gave are dangerous. I know for me, I am a hazard in many ways when I dont take my meds, and there are times, at least every other month or so where I forget to get my script on time and I can clearly see how helpful they are and how impulsive and dangerous I can be without them. I view treating adhd as a life or death thing. Its not about school work and studying, its about not walking in front of traffic, getting your electric shut off cause you didnt pay the bill, not forgetting to pick up your kid at school and not causing a wreck etc. It just sounds like you are missing the long term benefits of meds.

blergggg
04-30-15, 02:50 PM
I need to function in all areas everyday.

That may be the way it is for you but overall this is not the case with most.

Yes it is life or death, at least for me. Without meds I am a very negligent driver and so forgetful that it can cause major problems for me in my personal life.

Are you saying that the op should lie about forgetting to take their meds everyday to promote a false sense of responsibility?

Its good that you have this relationship with your doctor but most prefer the experimentation to be left up to medical professionals.

I dont think it medicalizes anything to compare a lifesaving medication to lifesaving interventions of another sort. And I dont know why stimulants are always viewed as short term solutions. Do you have any evidence to suggest that stimulants are only good for short term, as needed help?

If someone only needs stimulants on a temporary basis as a "kick in the pants' then maybe they do not had adhd and shouldnt be treated for it. Someone with adhd will need everyday help, not special help. And comparing stimulants to alcohol, caffeine and nictoine is totally wrong. Alcohol has no medical benefit, nor does caffeine for the most part. Whether nicotine does is actually something they are currently studying as its shown promise in certain people with adhd however smoking is not the route of administration that they are studying.
I am not trying to be mean or a dick but some of your opinions on treatment with stimulants and thew advice you gave are dangerous. I know for me, I am a hazard in many ways when I dont take my meds, and there are times, at least every other month or so where I forget to get my script on time and I can clearly see how helpful they are and how impulsive and dangerous I can be without them. I view treating adhd as a life or death thing. Its not about school work and studying, its about not walking in front of traffic, getting your electric shut off cause you didnt pay the bill, not forgetting to pick up your kid at school and not causing a wreck etc. It just sounds like you are missing the long term benefits of meds.

I agree with all of this. Thanks.

ADXP
07-25-15, 03:31 PM
Would you admit to your doctor that you have essentially been misusing your meds to show him that an increase is not a bad idea, seeing as how you have already been taking your desired dosage with no real issues? Or would you be too concerned about him having a problem with this? It was either take more than prescribed or continue to miss important info during class and depend on an unreliable tape recording app that loses entire lectures.[/QUOTE]

Misusing or not the more crucial that you get your doctor on board. A well informed doctor is aware of this.

sarahsweets
07-26-15, 04:15 PM
It was either take more than prescribed or continue to miss important info during class and depend on an unreliable tape recording app that loses entire lectures.

Misuse is a very real issue that should be addressed more often then it is.

qanda
07-26-15, 06:12 PM
It's really a shame that your doctor is not willing to allow an increase to see if it works better. My daughters doc is very open to our and her opinions.