View Full Version : Anyone find social anxiety goes away when ADHD treated?

FellowADDer
04-10-15, 10:06 PM
I find that with ADHD treatment (happens to be Concerta), my mind is more calm, I'm comfortable around others and my social anxiety is gone. Even better my social skills are way up.

Anyone else find similar kinds of outcomes or correlations between ADHD symptoms and social anxiety?

Greyhound1
04-10-15, 10:14 PM
I found it really improved my social anxiety when I began stimulants. It was great.

It seems to have creeped back into my life after 2 yrs. of treatment. I would say it's still much better now than before meds.

Pilgrim
04-10-15, 11:56 PM
I found it really improved my social anxiety when I began stimulants. It was great.

It seems to have creeped back into my life after 2 yrs. of treatment. I would say it's still much better now than before meds.

I would agree. I have found that now I do get a bit of anxiety. But it's different.

I would prefer this anxiety to the old anxiety.

hg12345
04-12-15, 01:39 AM
YESSS!!!!! I used to have lots of social anxiety (although no one around me ever suspected it!) but once I started adderall, my anxiety went down a lot. For me, the anxiety came from the fact that I couldn't stand boredom or slow paced conversations. Also my memory was horrible and I never trusted myself to remember people's names...The stimulants have been a huge help socially because now I can focus and I don't have this haunting fear of boredom all day!

Pilgrim
04-12-15, 07:21 AM
I was reflecting on this today. My mother was terrible for this also. I use to worry about certain things like I it was impossible, was this a form of anxiety. I guess.
The other was social anxiety. This is a lot better than it was. It's funny I sometimes think I'm cheating. But I can't handle that anxiety any more. The not knowing what your doing. Spinning your wheels.
Although there are some pretty strong side effects of the medication. I can live with those.

I've got to be able to grow and move forward. Even if it's painfully slow.

sarahsweets
04-12-15, 08:22 AM
Despite the fact that some People think that stimulants would increase anxiety,I find that the proper dose kills it.

Pilgrim
04-12-15, 08:27 AM
Despite the fact that some People think that stimulants would increase anxiety,I find that the proper dose kills it.

Your right. Sarah.

eclectic beagle
04-12-15, 07:27 PM

It would have been nice to have found the right dose. I hear it helps reduce anxiety in a lot of adders. Never worked for me.

daveddd
04-12-15, 07:32 PM
It would have been nice to have found the right dose. I hear it helps reduce anxiety in a lot of adders. Never worked for me.

depends on the person, even a small amount of amphetamine can increase anxiety in certain people

eclectic beagle
04-12-15, 07:35 PM
depends on the person, even a small amount of amphetamine can increase anxiety in certain people

Guess I'm one of the unlucky few haha.

daveddd
04-12-15, 07:38 PM
Guess I'm one of the unlucky few haha.

i have a very fine line between effective and extreme paranoia with amphetamine

eclectic beagle
04-12-15, 07:58 PM
i have a very fine line between effective and extreme paranoia with amphetamine

Sometimes in the past meds have caused anxiety, other times not. They certainly haven't helped anxiety but they haven't improved attention either. Not worth staying on them.

aeon
04-16-15, 03:52 PM
My social anxiety/inhibition is absolutely improved by dextroamphetamine...the difference is notable and significant. The term "prosocial" is certainly appropriate.

I'm not sure if that is a direct function of the medication or the result of its effects on the multiple executive functions involved in social interaction and engagement.

On some level, I don't particularly care...I'm simply grateful that it is the case.

Cheers,
Ian

Adenosine
11-24-15, 11:38 AM
In addition to ADHD, I have Asperger's syndrome, and I suffer from (thankfully mild at this point) social anxiety that probably results from a combination of the autistic traits and years of associated interpersonal isolation. Dexmethylphenidate makes me nervous and disorientated, but Vyvanse makes me quite a bit more sociable, enough to almost eliminate it at times. Some of this probably comes from not feeling fogged up anymore, but increased self-confidence is a very fundamental stimulant effect, so take that for what it is.

My anxiety was much worse in eighth grade, and my old doctor offered to put me on benzodiazepines before the start of ninth, but neither me or my parents were receptive to that idea. They have rather unfortunate withdrawal symptoms, and their effects on cognition would likely have aggravated my (then undiagnosed) attentional issues, though I might speculate that a temporary trial could have interrupted the cycle of fear long enough for me to do something about its cause. I did get a shot of Ativan during a hospital stay around that timeframe, but it was given to quell muscle spasms as well as internal stress.

Smashachu
11-27-15, 12:45 AM
Without meds you're defeciant in dopamine, which is worst for your confidence.

KarmanMonkey
11-27-15, 12:00 PM
I definitely enjoy public speaking more than pre-treatment, and I love running group discussions at work.

The anxiety is still there, and has been creeping up on me again, but for the most part it's been good.

Talking to the docs, the general consensus is that the non-stimulant meds tend to be the best for folks who have anxiety and/or depression as well. Too bad the side effects were intolerable for me.

coffeesudoku
01-21-16, 12:47 AM
I had never tried that before because I was on a different kind of medication and I never thought about using that as a source of help. It would make sense that that would work out though.

Pilgrim
01-21-16, 01:38 PM
Yeah me to, I really could never speak up at work before medication. Now I have more input that will help in regards to moving forward and learning.
In many social situations I think I may have been considered incompetent or not motivated.
I don't get that now.
I can approach people more easily now, sometimes I retreat back into my shell but I'm hoping that I will have earned enough credit that people will still think of my efforts in the past.

Jiberish
04-25-16, 07:46 AM
it has suppressed my anxiety better than benzodiapazines. Which I am very okay with!

casper
04-30-16, 09:45 AM
This is very interesting to me. I feel I do have social anxiety, never diagnosed of course. I took stimulants when I was kid in middle and high school, and have not taken anything sense. At this point I really don't think I need it for my ADD, but if it would help the anxiety and ADD might be worth it.

Today I m suppose to go to a pub crawl where I know 1 person other than my husband. This gives me anxiety, big time!!

Roundmouth
04-30-16, 02:53 PM
Medication hasn't really changed anything in social situations. I didn't expect it would.

Don't think I've experienced social anxiety. Well yes maybe, indirectly. I've mentioned this many times, that I was pretending for many years. No not pretending but others always told who I really was. I tried to explain myself and sort out misconceptions of others regarding myself. But they all stuck with their ideas, and they couldn't all be all wrong, could they?? So I adapted the best I could. Part of this was being depressed and somewhat anxious. Desperatly seeking for emotional closeness to other humans, but too depressed to care or too anxious to try... I can't say I ever was comfortable playing that role. And this actually did make me anxious in a way.

I don't think my social difficulties have to do with anything related to this self-regulation package - and definitly not with anything psychiatric. It's lack of ability, then there's also a schizoid lack of interest. On one hand I'm not capable of making contact, developing and maintaining informal relations, on the other hand I don't think I want to.

ginniebean
04-30-16, 03:14 PM
I'm one of the unlucky ones.

Simargl
04-30-16, 03:42 PM
My social anxiety has improved since I found the right dosage of Ritalin. A co-worker/associate told a friend that I seem a lot more confident and alert lately. I'll take it even if he didn't say it to me directly.

I feel more at ease speaking the things that normally swirl around in my head. It's probably because the thoughts are a little more organized when I'm taking Ritalin. I'm not quite so all over the place-- even though I still am a little but that's also not something I'm completely willing to give up about myself. I like my floating thoughts but they need some grounding.

The biggest thing for me is being able to follow and retain conversations. I can actually sit in a meeting and remember the key points when I leave the room. I can get verbal directions from someone and a good portion of it sticks. However, I still write things down for future reference. I still let myself get involved in too many things and it all gets jumbled after a while.

I've been joining a lot more conversations with the people around me at work. I keep getting invited to social events. So, I guess that should say something. The thought of going out still brings on a great deal of anxiety until I'm actually in the moment. I feel awkward for the first 30 minutes but a good portion of the anxiety lifts after a while. I still second guess some of the off the wall things I let slip out of my mouth but they seem well received for the most part. If I feel like it wasn't well received I still dwell after the fact but I think that's just me.

Laserbeak
04-30-16, 05:39 PM
It should, at least in part, if your treatment is successful.

Jiberish
04-30-16, 05:53 PM
My meds have almost completely gotten rid of my anxiety. Its crazy, i still cannot believe it.