View Full Version : Word Repetition

BellaVita
04-12-15, 03:04 AM
I'm mostly writing this down so I don't forget it:

I had a realization.

That I often repeat words or phrases so that I can experience an emotion that I wouldn't be able to feel otherwise.

Like, I can't "feel" that emotion on my own UNTIL I say the word. As soon as I stop repeating the word the emotion vanishes.

I mean, the whole main point is self-soothing/stimming I think...but also to release and feel emotions.

(BTW I do this to feel both "good" and "bad" emotions. For example if I want to feel excitement/happy I might repeat a certain word over and over)

I will say them usually several times or sometimes for around half an hour (if I'm having a meltdown).

daveddd
04-12-15, 04:43 AM
have you always done this or something you've learned recently ? if so how did feel emotions before

do you mean you start saying the name once the emotion is brought on from an outside source? or if you just want to feel an emotion randomly

BellaVita
04-12-15, 05:12 AM
have you always done this or something you've learned recently ? if so how did feel emotions before

do you mean you start saying the name once the emotion is brought on from an outside source? or if you just want to feel an emotion randomly

I've always done this.

I just didn't realize really why I did it until now.

No, it isn't saying the actual emotion.

It's like, repeating a word over and over (or phrase) like "Yes" to unlock the emotion so I can feel it and I can only feel it while saying the word.

(Poor word example - but it's just words that my brain chooses that apparently "go with" that emotion within the certain context)

Not sure if I'm making sense....

daveddd
04-12-15, 05:31 AM
thats different

so as soon as you stop saying the word you go emotionally flat?

TygerSan
04-12-15, 05:47 AM
I kinda do the opposite. I don't usually repeat over and over, but there are certain phrases that I associate with certain emotions (usually negative). If I'm feeling overwhelmed, one of the phrases will slip out. It kind of resets my spiraling emotions sometimes. Almost like a tic?

daveddd
04-12-15, 06:14 AM
I kinda do the opposite. I don't usually repeat over and over, but there are certain phrases that I associate with certain emotions (usually negative). If I'm feeling overwhelmed, one of the phrases will slip out. It kind of resets my spiraling emotions sometimes. Almost like a tic?

i have this

usually dealing with social anxiety emotions, ruminating on situations, it brings on shame or something, then i blurt something and it stops

BellaVita
04-12-15, 06:16 AM
thats different

so as soon as you stop saying the word you go emotionally flat?

No, I'm not sure what I feel

I just know that I don't feel the same intense(or soothing) emotion I felt while repeating the word

eclectic beagle
04-12-15, 07:31 PM
Maybe you associate the words or phrases with specific contexts?

BellaVita
04-12-15, 08:24 PM

Ah, like when people curse sort of thing? (Sorry I'm confused :eek:)

I don't think it's like a tic...

BellaVita
04-12-15, 08:25 PM
Maybe you associate the words or phrases with specific contexts?

Perhaps so. I'm not entirely sure why I "choose" to say certain phrases. (As in, why they were picked instead of something else)

daveddd
04-12-15, 08:29 PM
Perhaps so. I'm not entirely sure why I "choose" to say certain phrases. (As in, why they were picked instead of something else)

people have different symbolic representations of feelings

by saying it you may be bringing the emotion from a visceral state to a mentalized cognitive state

or "regulating" the emotion

TygerSan
04-12-15, 10:14 PM
It's more like when I was having a rough time and homesick, I'd think "I wanna go home" which is perfectly natural. But over time I started saying it out loud in *all* situations I which I was anxious and overwhelmed, even if I was sitting in my living room. Saying the phrase sometimes short circuits the loopin thoughts and sometimes it perpetuates them.

Little Missy
04-12-15, 10:33 PM
It's more like when I was having a rough time and homesick, I'd think "I wanna go home" which is perfectly natural. But over time I started saying it out loud in *all* situations I which I was anxious and overwhelmed, even if I was sitting in my living room. Saying the phrase sometimes short circuits the loopin thoughts and sometimes it perpetuates them.

I've done this.