View Full Version : My experience (a worthwhile therapeutic).

omygaudio
04-20-15, 12:11 AM
So after having trialled just about everything under the Rx sky, I finally saw a doctor who was open minded enough to prescribe me Desoxyn. I was on 60mg Vyvanse previously for 2 months but it just wasn't the right fit. Here were some problems I had with Vyvanse
- Unpredictable come up. Depending on how much/type of food I eat, this varies greatly, anywhere from 1 hour to 2.
- Cold hands and feet. Worse towards the end.
- Wears off after about 7 hours. (14 hours? yeah right.)
- Absolutely no interest in food (not even my favorite food).
- Weird zombie like feeling after, and still no appetite!
- Anxiety comes back with a vengeance.

I am instructed to take Desoxyn twice daily, 10mg each time. My concerns with anxiety prompted him to prescribe 1mg Tenex (Guanfacine) if needed. I have yet to experience any kind of anxiety (a good thing) so I haven't taken the Tenex yet.

Here's whats I love about Desoxyn
- I am alert in 20 mins. If I've had alot to eat, 30 mins.
- Very minor cool feet; I don't need to wear socks at home anymore.
- No anxiety! (I find this hard to believe myself).
- Fades away with no weird sensations.
- Not hyper-focused like Dexedrine/Vyvanse which sometimes leads me into doing work that does not need to be done right away.
- Interest in sweet foods like ice cream and snickers bars. (at least i'm eating!).
- I am actually sleeping a lot better and deeper after.
- Strangely has helped my allergies greatly.

And here's what I hope to eventually learn to get used to
- The relaxed nature of Desoxyn makes it less motivating than Dexedrine.
- Sense of urgency is diminished. I somehow don't feel the push like I do with Dexedrine to get things done fast.
- Higher pulse rate (110), although it hardly feels that way.
- Knowing that Desoxyn is neurotoxic makes me fearful of increasing dose should its effectiveness wear off (I hope not).

I see the doc in 2 weeks so I have a couple of options on the table.
- Try going back to Dexedrine but adding Tenex 1mg this time for the side effects.
- Stay with Desoxyn, or try a Desoxyn/Dexedrine combo.
What do you guys think?

Powderbucket
04-24-15, 07:50 AM
So after having trialled just about everything under the Rx sky, I finally saw a doctor who was open minded enough to prescribe me Desoxyn. I was on 60mg Vyvanse previously for 2 months but it just wasn't the right fit. Here were some problems I had with Vyvanse
- Unpredictable come up. Depending on how much/type of food I eat, this varies greatly, anywhere from 1 hour to 2.
- Cold hands and feet. Worse towards the end.
- Wears off after about 7 hours. (14 hours? yeah right.)
- Absolutely no interest in food (not even my favorite food).
- Weird zombie like feeling after, and still no appetite!
- Anxiety comes back with a vengeance.

I am instructed to take Desoxyn twice daily, 10mg each time. My concerns with anxiety prompted him to prescribe 1mg Tenex (Guanfacine) if needed. I have yet to experience any kind of anxiety (a good thing) so I haven't taken the Tenex yet.

Here's whats I love about Desoxyn
- I am alert in 20 mins. If I've had alot to eat, 30 mins.
- Very minor cool feet; I don't need to wear socks at home anymore.
- No anxiety! (I find this hard to believe myself).
- Fades away with no weird sensations.
- Not hyper-focused like Dexedrine/Vyvanse which sometimes leads me into doing work that does not need to be done right away.
- Interest in sweet foods like ice cream and snickers bars. (at least i'm eating!).
- I am actually sleeping a lot better and deeper after.
- Strangely has helped my allergies greatly.

And here's what I hope to eventually learn to get used to
- The relaxed nature of Desoxyn makes it less motivating than Dexedrine.
- Sense of urgency is diminished. I somehow don't feel the push like I do with Dexedrine to get things done fast.
- Higher pulse rate (110), although it hardly feels that way.
- Knowing that Desoxyn is neurotoxic makes me fearful of increasing dose should its effectiveness wear off (I hope not).

I see the doc in 2 weeks so I have a couple of options on the table.
- Try going back to Dexedrine but adding Tenex 1mg this time for the side effects.
- Stay with Desoxyn, or try a Desoxyn/Dexedrine combo.
What do you guys think?

Hi there,

Your post was a very interesting read. I find it sad that something that helps you so much is not always good for you. By that I mean it's a pity the drug is neurotoxic. From the sounds of it, I wouldn't even consider moving drugs, because it sounds like this has benefited you a lot.

I can't provide much advice as I'm very new to the ADHD thing. What I can say is that maybe you shouldn't give it so much though. If it's working then it's working and only YOU can really know this. If the worry of neurotoxicity is big, then I would consider changing. I think it depends on what you think is worth the risk.