View Full Version : Signs to watch for?

KarmanMonkey
04-21-15, 04:15 PM
Hi all,

As some of you likely know, I've got a 3mo old at home, and I remember a long time ago reading about developmental differences in babies with ADD.

Does anyone have a link to something for me to get all neurotic about looking for in my son?

daveddd
04-21-15, 05:21 PM
i believe the only thing noted in infants has been an irritable temperament

daveddd
04-21-15, 05:24 PM
https://books.google.com/books?id=VN6fYXd7c7cC&pg=PA360&dq=barkley+irritable+temperament+infants&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ir82VdL_F67jsASoloFo&ved=0CDwQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=barkley%20irritable%20temperament%20infants&f=false

KarmanMonkey
04-24-15, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the responses... My question as a first time parent is: How the heck do you know if your kid's temperment is more irritable than the next?

Fuzzy12
04-24-15, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the responses... My question as a first time parent is: How the heck do you know if your kid's temperment is more irritable than the next?

I don't have kids but I'm wondering if both you and your wife could correlate your own childhood experiences with your kid and then compare notes to see who he is more similar to. :scratch:

Also, there's an interesting 3-part youtube video of a presentation by Barkley, where he talks about the ages at which kids normally achieve certain developmental executive function milestones and how ADHD kids might differ.

Having said that, while I think, it's good to know what to look out for, I'd also hesitate to..ummm.. jump to conclusions too quickly. I guess, a lot of parental strategies that are recommended for ADHD kids, would probably work well for all kids but not all of them. At that young age, it would probably be best to tailor your approach to your son's specific behaviour (apologies if I'm just stating either the bleeding obvious or something completely irrelevant...or if you don't actually have a son but a daughter :scratch:0

Flory
04-24-15, 12:18 PM
I really would not worry about it at all right now

Stevuke79
04-24-15, 01:00 PM
listen to Flory!

i started wondering about dd at ages 4 and 5. i was told by professionals: if she's doing fine leave it be. she's now 7 and im learning why they were right to say that. (and we still suspect she has adhd). im all for diagnosis and treatment, but solve problems AS THEY COME. dont worry, adhd or not, THEY WILL. ;) No need to hunt for them.

dont look for 'adhd'. look for 'her', and help her get over whatever is in her way. if one day thats adhd, then start worrying about adhd.

Stevuke79
04-24-15, 01:16 PM
Let me clarify, .. you should absolutely pay close attention to your child. See where she excels and where she struggles. But keep conclusions out of your observations. Conclusions come AFTER observations.

Lunacie
04-24-15, 03:05 PM
I agree with Flory too. Don't worry about a diagnosis just yet.

Check out the sticky threads in the parenting forum and develop the best
parent/child relationship you can. It will help whether your child has ADHD
or not.

Barkley's Best Tips for helping your child (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123025)

Dizfriz's Corner (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60130)

And several more at ADDF parenting forum. (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=105)

ccom5100
04-25-15, 09:11 PM
My adhd child had a wonderful temperament as a baby - always sunny and happy, rarely cried, and started sleeping through the night at one month.

daveddd
04-25-15, 09:29 PM
My adhd child had a wonderful temperament as a baby - always sunny and happy, rarely cried, and started sleeping through the night at one month.

barkley has stated irritable temperament and trouble sleeping were commonly found in infants who went on to develop add

i don't think anything in add is an absolute though

daveddd
04-25-15, 09:31 PM
I really would not worry about it at all right now

good point, searching for add symptoms means you will probably find them

sarahsweets
04-30-15, 05:01 AM
Pooping alot is a sign of adhd. ;)

stef
04-30-15, 05:18 AM
I wouldn't worry about this for now; if you have any concerns bring them up with your pediatrician. A neighbor actually told me that my son seemed "slow" because he walked so late. He was a chunky, placid baby and apparently didn't feel it was necessary (because of course he could walk holding on to furniture, etc..) . His kidergarten teacher expressed concern that he "may not beready for first grade" as he did his "work" so slowly and carefully.

finally, He could read by the end of september of first grade and is now trilingual and working on a degree in translation...

Little Missy
04-30-15, 07:45 AM
I wouldn't worry about this for now; if you have any concerns bring them up with your pediatrician. A neighbor actually told me that my son seemed "slow" because he walked so late. He was a chunky, placid baby and apparently didn't feel it was necessary (because of course he could walk holding on to furniture, etc..) . His kidergarten teacher expressed concern that he "may not beready for first grade" as he did his "work" so slowly and carefully.

finally, He could read by the end of september of first grade and is now trilingual and working on a degree in translation...

Yep. Surprisingly, the same with my daughter. She acted as though she was born already 40 years old. Such a contented child! I was so fed up with pediatrician's measuring, comparisons, and all of the other horse hockey they come up with that I then only took her to my GP who let her just "be."

She excelled far beyond my wildest dreams.