View Full Version : Sleep Apnea and ADD

RedsHawk
04-21-15, 04:48 PM
So I've been having trouble with getting medications to work for me. Concerta did nada and Vyvanse made me a bit (whole lot) irrational and irritable. I have sleep apnea and snore like a freight train. Since stopping with the ADD meds I've been thinking I should deal with the sleep issues since everyone suggests getting good sleep to give the meds the best chance of working. Stims and no sleep is a bad combo.

But I've started thinking about causation. I think my apnea is related to a tonsilectomy I had in grade 2. Around that time my attitude changed quite a bit (more violent, less helpful). For as long as I can remember I've snored VERY loudly.....it's legendary so I probably had apnea back then as well but wasn't diagnosed.

so, wondering if there is any link between long term sleep apnea in children and ADD like symptoms(40 now). I can't find much info online except correlation between ADD and sleep or ADHD causing a sleep disorder, but I wonder if it is that the apnea is causing ADD like symptoms and that could explain why the meds either did me no good or were completely wrong.

Anyone have apnea and react well/badly to meds?

anyone have any other theories on this?

Seeing an ENT soon to deal with the sleep issues.

some light reading
http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/childhood-adhd/adhd-sleep-disorders
http://www.healthline.com/health/ahd/sleep-problems#2

icarusinflames
04-27-15, 06:05 AM
Nobody replied but i wanted to say that I read somewhere that if you have a sleep disorder, it's possible your psychiatrist or whoever would prescribe meds would recommend that you get your sleep disorder treated first because it could be a factor that is causing your symptoms, I believe. Although I want to say that I hesitate to say that it's the sole cause. It may be more of a factor to make your ADHD symptoms worse, but you do actually have ADHD. Yes, I think that's the truth, because many people with ADHD have or develop a sleep disorder.

Sleep apnea is the noteable sleep disorder, I believe, for ADHD. But you could also say that the insomnia at times is a sleep disorder that is feeling a bit seperate from the sleep apnea issues, which just cause exhaustion and a desire to sleep during inappropriate times of the day.

Another connection could be factors like smoking and drinking which can make a sleep apnea worse or even lead to one perhaps (many people with ADHD will end up self medicating with alchohol, cigarettes or marijuana, etc). Another factor is weight gain, because having ADHD makes it difficult to regulate food and stick to any recognizable eating habits, plus you may tend to be underactive if you are the less hyperactive type. Anyhow, I think there's a lot of understandable factors there. It seems intriguing to imagine that the ADHD situation is what can cause the sleep apnea, and not the other way around. But I have no clue.

sarahsweets
04-28-15, 04:40 AM
You absolutely must get the sleep issue addressed. Sleep apnea goes beyond snoring, it affects the oxygen you get when you sleep which can mimic adhd symptoms during the day due to not having restful sleep. Not having proper sleep can make you experience severe daytime sleepiness.

RedsHawk
04-28-15, 01:18 PM
You absolutely must get the sleep issue addressed. Sleep apnea goes beyond snoring, it affects the oxygen you get when you sleep which can mimic adhd symptoms during the day due to not having restful sleep. Not having proper sleep can make you experience severe daytime sleepiness.

absolutely. thanks for the advice.

zannie
04-28-15, 01:28 PM
I find that I might as well not take the meds during periods of insomnia.