View Full Version : My Supplement Story (that went FAIL)

Powderbucket
04-24-15, 05:51 AM
Hi everyone,

Before I considered the idea I might have ADD, I always just thought of my inattentiveness as me being a brat. Once the inattentiveness started turning into anxiety and depression, I thought I'd try to help myself the natural way. For me, seeing a shrink and being put on meds was attached to a massive amount of negative stereotypes.

1) Phenylalanine 1000mg once a day - Probably the best of the bunch. This supposedly works on your dopamine levels. This made me feel more awake, and more "okay" but made me constipated. I took this for about 6 months and when I stopped them I fell into some HEAVY depression.

2) 5-HTP 500mg once a day - say hello to the zombie-mode inducer. I think this is good if you have anxiety. It made me feel so spaced out, but the brain fog was massive. Affects your serotonin, so did not help with concentration. This will cause some bloating and plays a lot of games with your stomach - not pleasant. Also, this made me hugely irritable and I stopped it because the come-down was icky and made me fight with people.

3) St John's Wort - say hello to constipation. And, to be honest, I did not notice much. I noticed something for the first two weeks and then it vanished.

4)Melatonin - 5mg at night. I thought that the heavy sleep would help the focus in the morning. It definitely makes you sleep heavy! But did not help my attention in any way.

5) Vitamin C - yay for my immune system. Made my skin get a rash though and did not help with attention.

6) Bacopa - absolutely no affect on me. I think it bloated me too. However, some people I know who have taken this have said it REALLY works for them. They do not have ADD though and only take it to help them study.

I have stopped all of these and suffered from some very serious withdrawal effects. I became extremely depressed and suicidal. Now, everything seems back to normal and I'm going to go the medical route and see a psychiatrist. The supplements did not work for me, in combination and alone. I would say that the strongest was the 5-HTP, but this just gives you Serotonin so you might blissfully forget about your ADD for a while.

Also, I exercise and have a good life overall. That said, the ADD remains prominent. If I've learned one thing, it's that these supplements might be a little more dangerous than people think.

BellaVita
04-24-15, 07:23 AM
Yep, and I recently watched a video that showed that 4/5 supplements don't even contain the ingredients they claim to have....(one even claimed to be gluten-free when it had wheat in it...)

Also, they aren't regulated and thoroughly studied.

Powderbucket
04-24-15, 08:04 AM
Yep, and I recently watched a video that showed that 4/5 supplements don't even contain the ingredients they claim to have....(one even claimed to be gluten-free when it had wheat in it...)

Also, they aren't regulated and thoroughly studied.

Yup.

It's such a pity that ADD meds come with such bad stereotypes, and when everything thinks "supplement" they think "natural" so that's "good". I would go with prescription any day, as then you at least get to speak with a professional and engage not only with medication, but with social therapy too.

stef
04-24-15, 11:07 AM
The only supplements I've taken are magnesium (didn't like this but not dangerous),
Vitamin D, but more for seasonal affective disorder (it helps!)
and Valerian root in the evening, when I had trouble unwinding when my job was a lot busier. It seemed to help (I would have just had the herbal tea version but I don't like tea!)
It's really important to have a good diet.

Unmanagable
04-24-15, 11:55 AM
Blindly trying various supplements that aren't from a reputable source, and not having the close and ongoing guidance of a practitioner who has been thoroughly educated in the proper use of them, is very similar to trying prescription drugs w/o any medical guidance, except it's not as easy as rushing down to the local box store to grab them. Supplements from retail stores are super shady and many don't even contain what they claim to be.

burger
05-03-15, 06:18 AM
Withdrawal from phenylalanine seems to makes sense considering what it's supposed to do. If you do try supplements again be careful since some are physically addictive and some commonly cause depression during use and withdrawal.

Powderbucket
05-04-15, 04:18 AM
Withdrawal from phenylalanine seems to makes sense considering what it's supposed to do. If you do try supplements again be careful since some are physically addictive and some commonly cause depression during use and withdrawal.

I hear you. I've been off them for a month now and my mood has improved a lot, although the ADD symptoms are having an amazing time with me, a little worse than before. Tomorrow I'm off to the pdoc who will hopefully give me what I need.

Lunacie
05-04-15, 08:14 AM
I seem to be the opposite. I've had severe allergic reactions to a couple
of prescription meds, but haven't had any problems with supplements.

I take Omega 3 for the ADHD.
I take Vitamin D3 for depression and bone strength.
I take Vitamin B-complex for good health.

I've taken Butterbur for migraines, did not help.
I've taken Magnesium for migraines, did not help.

I also take two prescription meds, one for anxiety and one for hypertension.
I am currently trying Gabapentin to help with Migraines and Fibromyalgia.

blergggg
05-05-15, 11:30 AM
Did you find the Omega-3 helps with your AD(H)D? I just started taking a fish oil/Omega 3 supplement. I take 2400 mg (2 capsules)/day. :)

Also everyone- Exercise really helps. I can't emphasize this enough. It is not the cure-all for sure. I was in CA one summer and couldn't refill my out of state meds due to the prescription laws. I had to cut down my dose and just took it as needed. I started running religiously ~15 miles a week. I still had a lot of ADHD problems and banged up my car in my parking garage twice but the overall sense of calm the running gave me certainly helped my frustration threshold, which is normally TERRIBLE off meds. I couldn't have gotten through that summer without it. My little cousin also has ADHD and he runs marathons and crap. Probably helps him a lot too.

Lunacie
05-05-15, 11:40 AM
:yes: The Omega 3 has been terrific for me, going on 12 years now.
There is another poster on this forum who uses it too. Maybe Fortune?

Of course it doesn't work as well for everyone. But that's one reason there
are so many stimulant options available nowadays, because ritalin didn't work
for everyone.

Powderbucket
05-06-15, 02:47 AM
Did you find the Omega-3 helps with your AD(H)D? I just started taking a fish oil/Omega 3 supplement. I take 2400 mg (2 capsules)/day. :)

Also everyone- Exercise really helps. I can't emphasize this enough. It is not the cure-all for sure. I was in CA one summer and couldn't refill my out of state meds due to the prescription laws. I had to cut down my dose and just took it as needed. I started running religiously ~15 miles a week. I still had a lot of ADHD problems and banged up my car in my parking garage twice but the overall sense of calm the running gave me certainly helped my frustration threshold, which is normally TERRIBLE off meds. I couldn't have gotten through that summer without it. My little cousin also has ADHD and he runs marathons and crap. Probably helps him a lot too.

I think I take around 2000mg a day, not sure.... However, I have taken them my entire life so it's hard to say if they really help me or not, because I actually don't know. I know that they are good for your brain, so I don't have a reason to go off them. I think I went off them once, and that was around the time my mood started changing negatively, so they could actually be helping me quite a bit.

I'm not going to take Ritalin and the Omega oils together - gotta keep the brain happy :)

Also, exercise is literally a life saver. I love the peace and calm of running, and the way you can exhaust all your energy in a good sprint. I go completely crazy without my gym 4 times a week.

Now that I'm on proper medication, I definitely won't give up on the healthy habits. I'm not expecting medication to solve all my problems, and that every contribution can help.

Lunacie
05-06-15, 10:08 AM
I went off Omega 3 inadvertently a couple of times. Ran out basically.

It was totally scary the way the brain fog came back, scary to realize I'd been
living my whole life in that state of brain fog. Especially scary to realize I'd
been driving for so many years in that state of brain fog.

Ever since I make sure I don't run out of Omega 3.