View Full Version : got prescribed dexamfetamine sulphate 5m

Cotter67
04-24-15, 12:36 PM
56 of these chalk like white tablets, now my psychiatrist has put on the prescription line to take two 5 mg tablets a day,
. now these are instant release tablets which only last 3-4 hours right? how is two a day going to work if I have to get up in early in the morning? say I take my 5mg at half 7 then my second at half 11, then my medicine will have stopped working by half 4! ive tried concerta atomoxetine in the past neither were very beneficial, and my psych is extremely difficult to get in touch with and I don't see him for another 3 months, surely lisdexamfetamine with dexamfetamine as booster was the way to go here? by the way I took my first tablet an hour ago and feel no different, this just seems ridiculous to me I need help for more than 7 or 8 hours a day? 5mg twice a day?

Cotter67
04-24-15, 02:12 PM
anyone know what im talking about

Greyhound1
04-24-15, 02:45 PM
56 of these chalk like white tablets, now my psychiatrist has put on the prescription line to take two 5 mg tablets a day,
. now these are instant release tablets which only last 3-4 hours right? how is two a day going to work if I have to get up in early in the morning? say I take my 5mg at half 7 then my second at half 11, then my medicine will have stopped working by half 4! ive tried concerta atomoxetine in the past neither were very beneficial, and my psych is extremely difficult to get in touch with and I don't see him for another 3 months, surely lisdexamfetamine with dexamfetamine as booster was the way to go here? by the way I took my first tablet an hour ago and feel no different, this just seems ridiculous to me I need help for more than 7 or 8 hours a day? 5mg twice a day?

Did your Dr. give you a reason for dosage amount? Usually, they start off low and titrate up until it works well. May want to call him after several days if you still aren't benefitting.

That does sound like a low dose given you have taken stimulants before. I switched from Adderall to dextroamphetamine and started with the same dosage amount as when I took Adderall. I am prescribed 20mg. 2 x day.

Fuzzy12
04-24-15, 02:55 PM
It's fairly standard practice to start with a low dose and then to slowly increase the dose if required. This is to monitor and reduce side effects. Also, not everyone requires the same dose and how long the effect of the meds last differs from person to person.

Concerta and atomoxetine are quite different so not a good indication of how you'll react to dex. I got a rash at higher doses with methyl phenidate IR (which is the active ingredient in concerts) so I had to discontinue it. At lower doses it didn't really help me but dex IR does.

Having said that I take dex ir four times a day (10, 5, 5, 5), which seems to work best for me.

Give it a shot and keep an open mind. If you are not getting any symptom control then talk to your psychiatrist again. Um..also if you are seeing an NHS psychiatrist I'd make sure that you call them regularly to remind them that you need an appointment. :rolleyes:

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by feeling any different. Ideally, you shouldn't feel different. I can't really feel my meds at all (if I do, it's a negative side effect). It's really only when I try to work on something that I notice that I can focus better and that my thoughts are clearer and more coherent.

Initially I thought that an extended version would work for me better as well but with the way i currently schedule my doses, I'm really happy with dex IR.

Flory
04-24-15, 06:22 PM
Yes I'm the same as fuzzy , four times a day girl and have been stabilised on this dose for about 2 years nor , But you can't jump straight to that right off that bat, titration is the safest way of getting your body adjusted to the medication

Cotter67
04-24-15, 08:06 PM
he didnt even tell me if i wasnt getting the extended realease or instant release, i picked up my prescription line which read dexamfetamine 5mg, to be taking twice daily, how am i supposed to have a stable day i only have 8 hours atm medication, i need four a day, and i earlier i jumped the gun saying it wasnt doing anything. when it kicked in it worked wonders, i cleaned my whole apartment which ive procrastinated about for weeks, stripped my bed sheets bagged them the the laundrette tomorrow, cleaned my dishes and packed them away, all these things that usually drive me crazy was no problem. so i now know the med works but i need for than two a day that crazy! 4 should surely be the prescribed does? he knows i can handle stims i was 72 mg concerta! i have the number for the resource centre he works at but that just goes to reception, ive tried in the past to get in touch but couldnt get in touch with him with no reply, the way i see it 7 hours of the day im going to be functioning well thinking clearly, then bang back to square one.

Cotter67
04-24-15, 08:09 PM
Yes I'm the same as fuzzy , four times a day girl and have been stabilised on this dose for about 2 years nor , But you can't jump straight to that right off that bat, titration is the safest way of getting your body adjusted to the medication
i wish we could get addys in the uk but know doctor will take that risk, i know someone from scotland who takes adderall so it is possible.

Flory
04-24-15, 08:10 PM
i wish we could get addys in the uk but know doctor will take that risk, i know someone from scotland who takes adderall so it is possible.

It's very possible but very expensive as they have to be prescribed via a psychiatrist with a special license then imported, you're looking at around 400.00 a month

Ps don't feel to robbed they aren't all they are cracked up to be, dexamphetamine is considered the gold standard amphetamine , a lot of people on adderall experience more difficulties with side effects like anxiety , agitation etc than do people on dexamphetamine ...for a difference of only 25% of another amphetamine I'd say it's probably nothing to write home about

Cotter67
04-24-15, 08:11 PM
It's fairly standard practice to start with a low dose and then to slowly increase the dose if required. This is to monitor and reduce side effects. Also, not everyone requires the same dose and how long the effect of the meds last differs from person to person.

Concerta and atomoxetine are quite different so not a good indication of how you'll react to dex. I got a rash at higher doses with methyl phenidate IR (which is the active ingredient in concerts) so I had to discontinue it. At lower doses it didn't really help me but dex IR does.

Having said that I take dex ir four times a day (10, 5, 5, 5), which seems to work best for me.

Give it a shot and keep an open mind. If you are not getting any symptom control then talk to your psychiatrist again. Um..also if you are seeing an NHS psychiatrist I'd make sure that you call them regularly to remind them that you need an appointment. :rolleyes:

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by feeling any different. Ideally, you shouldn't feel different. I can't really feel my meds at all (if I do, it's a negative side effect). It's really only when I try to work on something that I notice that I can focus better and that my thoughts are clearer and more coherent.

Initially I thought that an extended version would work for me better as well but with the way i currently schedule my doses, I'm really happy with dex IR.
read my latest post haha

Cotter67
04-24-15, 08:12 PM
It's very possible but very expensive as they have to be prescribed via a psychiatrist with a special license then imported, you're looking at around 400.00 a month
how long does 45mg ir last for?

Flory
04-24-15, 08:13 PM
how long does 45mg ir last for?

All day mine is spread over 4 doses

Cotter67
04-24-15, 08:14 PM
i feel i would be very stable if medicated dex four times a day, i may even be productive!!

Cotter67
04-24-15, 08:15 PM
All day mine is spread over 4 doses
are you adhdpi adhd or combined?

Cotter67
04-24-15, 08:16 PM
im adhd predominately innatentive.

Flory
04-24-15, 08:16 PM
are you adhdpi adhd or combined?

Severe combined type :)

Pilgrim
04-24-15, 08:28 PM
Split them into halves. Take every couple of hours.

Cotter67
04-24-15, 08:44 PM
i didnt get diagnosed with adhd pi until i was 24 which was this time last year, at first they thought it was gad, then depresion, then aspergers syndrome was thrown about, until we finally got the correct diagnosis. i just wish they diagnosed me when i was a kid at school, i couldnt pay attention,often glaring out the window during lessons, was fidgety always distracting other pupils, reacted furiously when a teacher raised her voice at me, i never did homework the thought of taking time to do it made me cry, i was late everyday my mum would shout at me but i just lay there procrastinating until my mum had to drag me out of bed,i spent most of my school days outside in the halls because the teachers couldnt handle me. but they never even considered i had a problem just thought i was lazy and bad kid.

Cotter67
04-24-15, 08:45 PM
Split them into halves. Take every couple of hours.
that could work at least until i see my doc again.

Cotter67
04-26-15, 09:28 PM
is dexamfetamine sulphate basically what you call dexederine in the us? I just assumed I was on dexedrine

Cotter67
04-26-15, 09:31 PM
main problem so far is getting to sleep, benzos and sleeping pills aren't an option because my tolerance is way too high, I get no sedation whatsoever(I went through a pretty rough time)

Cotter67
05-17-15, 02:03 PM
Severe combined type :)

I cant imagine what its like to have combined type, innatentive adhd just makes me dreamy, lethargic and unmotivated, although as a 5 or 6 year old my mum said was off the scale hyper, had a behavioural wall chart when I was that age, got a gold star on a 'good' day been I didn't get many gold stars:lol: how did I not get a diagnosis! what age were you diagnosed if you don't mind me asking.

sarahsweets
05-20-15, 04:40 AM
I know you didnt ask me but Ill share. I was diagnosed when I was 7. Untreated until my 20's.

I cant imagine what its like to have combined type, innatentive adhd just makes me dreamy, lethargic and unmotivated, although as a 5 or 6 year old my mum said was off the scale hyper, had a behavioural wall chart when I was that age, got a gold star on a 'good' day been I didn't get many gold stars:lol: how did I not get a diagnosis! what age were you diagnosed if you don't mind me asking.