View Full Version : Another 504 Meeting question

disneymom2
04-26-15, 11:36 AM
I'm new to your group, so glad to have found you. (Scroll to last paragraph to see question.) Our son has ADD - without the the hyperactivity part - and he also has one other medical issue. I provided his Jr. High with letters from doctors before school started in August. All year, meeting after meeting they kept saying he was doing well, teachers were redirecting him, working with him, no problems.
It wasn't until the end of Feb. when I finally called our District Office and they said YES HE NEEDS A 504 - Finally the school wrote the 504 3/4 of the way into the school year, which is only one sentence - and it's not clear enough.
My son is a gifted student, normally a straight A student. His grades this year are the worst ever - and continue to decline.
I emailed the school guidance counselor over a week ago and copied the principal - letting them know that we need to revisit the 504 and make some changes as our son still needs different accommodations. For example - the plan states that if he is absent - then he should email the teachers and let them know, and homework time will be extended. The teachers do not always reply to his emails. He is constantly turning in projects late and teachers have tried to give him zeros or half credit.
If he is absent, and he emails the teacher, and they never reply with what work was missed - then it's not his fault that it's not turned in. Then he'll meet them after school - and then come home with a lot of homework on top of regular homework.
LONG POST - I'm sorry - the main question is - when you NEED to revisit the 504 and you REQUEST A MEETING - how long does the school have to reply to your request? I have googled online and can't find anything. Left a voice mail for the parent advocate at our District Office last week and she still hasn't called me. I thought there was some window - like they must respond within 48 hours of your request. It's been over a week!

Little Missy
04-26-15, 12:08 PM
March right into the office tomorrow morning and ask. That is what I'd do.:)

Lunacie
04-26-15, 01:02 PM
If you send a registered letter they have to respond within a certain time frame.

I don't think that rule applies to voice mail.

If you're willing to wait, sending a registered letter is a good idea. Then you
have a record of when and what you are asking for.

Check out the wrightslaw website. You can find the answer to your question
about time limits and lots of helpful stuff there.

ccom5100
04-26-15, 01:08 PM
Send a letter - Certified/Return Receipt Requested.

sarahsweets
04-27-15, 04:38 AM
Also remember that sad as it is, school districts don't necessarily want to give anyone a 504 or IEP because it costs them money to offer special services. Its a sucky bottom line but its true more often than not. If your son isn't the "worst" kid they may want to shove him through to the next grade hoping you are satisfied with just ok help vs really solid help. The best bet is to communicate via certified mail, and following all of that up with voicemail. Skip the direct communication with the guidance counselor at first and deal with the child study team or special services dept. They deal more with IEP's and 504's whereas the guidance counselor deals with 504's only.

zette93
04-29-15, 03:05 PM
I don't know if the law has legal timelines for a 504 the way it does for an IEP. I've never noticed any reference to them if they exist.

However, there is a way to get the school to respond. Start with the person who would normally be in charge of setting up a 504 meeting. In the email, politely request a meeting, and ask for a response within 5 days. If you hear nothing after 5 days, forward the request to the principal and ask him or her to facilitate getting a meeting set up. Another 5 days, repeat with the district-level 504 compliance person. Then the superintendent. Then the state office that oversees 504 compliance. Basically work your way up the chain, cc'ing all those below along the way. At the top you can file a Civil Rights complaint.

testaccommodati
10-13-15, 06:11 PM
Civil rights complaints can be made on the ADA.gov website. The more people who speak out, the better!
It is so sad that schools are still resistant given the laws to protect the disabled.