View Full Version : What works for you to eat right?

icarusinflames
04-26-15, 10:46 PM
I'm curious how people with ADHD have had success in establishing good eating habits. What works for you?

I have been undiagnosed all my life, so I had terrible habits. Or shall I say, I had an inability to establish any good eating habits. So for example, I eat at random crazy hours and I eat whatever, without any regard for nutrition or whether that food is normally eaten at those hours. I usually cook dinner in the morning and have dinner early. I often would have a 4th meal before bedtime, just to help me get to sleep. My eating was very disorderly and sometimes unpleasant due to lack of planning (i.e. being forced to eat something unpleasant for dinner due to not having any planned food).

I swear the only thing that ever worked for me, regarding an eating plan was the Weight Watchers core plan. I don't know why I didn't continue that, but I suddenly stopped at some point and gained my weight back.

If you don't know about the core plan, it was a way to follow Weight Watchers without having to weigh anything or write down anything. You just follow a list of "filling foods" that you can eat, if you follow very simple rules. You can eat till you are full, but as long as you eat from that list of foods. Then if you want some things off that list, you have some points you can spend on bad foods.

You can imagine my amusement when I realized I have ADHD at the age of 44, and I realized that the core plan worked for me because I didn't have to plan ahead much and I didn't have to keep any records about what I ate.

I've often thought of just going on a liquid diet for a time, to lose some weight and to not have to think about meal preparation. But I know that I must cook anyhow to feed my daughter and husband.

sarahsweets
04-27-15, 05:00 AM
I cant tolerate much sugar due to a previous surgery so I avoid that. I also avoid refined anything and anything that's marketed as convenient. If its convenient it usually has a bunch of crap in it. I have been really into old fashioned oatmeal lately.

Unmanagable
04-27-15, 10:11 AM
Having repeated physical issues keep popping up to remind me in the most uncomfortable ways. The latest was a gall bladder attack that very painfully reminded me of all the crap food I've been marinating in for nearly half a century. Intervention from a hospital stretcher works wonders in providing motivation for change, but I wouldn't recommend it.

We joined a CSA (community shared agriculture) for the season and will receive a box of locally grown, organic veggies each week until October. That helps in meal planning, big time. It also helps nudge along the need to plan ahead. Also, it eliminates the nasty and harmful pesticides and unnecessary frankenfood experiments that the alphabet agencies like to shove down our throats.

Currently, I don't do meat, dairy, processed sugars, caffeine, iodized table salt, or anything packaged (minus a few boxed organic soups and juices). Regardless of the marketing tactics and terminology used, most food companies are full of s*** and will tell you anything to sell you anything.

Keep it real, eat less more often throughout the day, stay hydrated, drink warm lemon water and herbal teas at breakfast, avoid any food that is served up via your car window, and listen closely to your body. Those are key for what has worked for me. It tells us what we need to know if we give it a chance and learn how to better listen. It's been a real b**** arriving at that point, though.

Little Missy
04-27-15, 12:49 PM
I'm a huge food snob. Once I started I never went back. Except for a stray Russell Stover Coconut Crème Egg.

Nothing pre-prepared. Nothing canned. Zero salt. I drink coffee no matter what though, I love it.
Fresh fruit and vegetables. Unprocessed meat from a local butcher.

And my Aussie Bites problem.