View Full Version : Drinking and Dex - Help please :)

utopianbox
04-27-15, 10:36 PM
Hey guys,
I have a problem. This coming weekend my college has a party which involves duct taping a bottle of Passion Pop to either hand and not being allowed to leave the pre drinks unless BOTH are finished. Now I study Power/Control systems Engineering so I never get to have a break from the study (so ill still be taking meds), though this just happens to be the one night I can have fun. Only problem is, that I take Dex...
Another problem, my heart isn't exactly what you'd define as "normal", due to a hereditary defect I have severe hypertension (sounds crazy that I take stims, but my resting pulse is super low, and they increase it; hence lessening the pressure - don't ask me how it works, doc just said that it shouldn't work but it does haha).
So! I want some advice guys. Its the one night off I get, I want to have fun with my mates, but I feel that 11.2 standard drinks in an hour is definitely pushing it.
Any reccomendations? I suppose I can just not go, but if any of you have any ideas that would help.
Cheers! :)
P.S sorry for the long message, suppose we're all used to that ;)

namazu
04-27-15, 11:40 PM
Suggestion: don't.

Each bottle is 750mL @ 9.5% alcohol. That's a lot of alcohol to be consuming at one time, let alone to chug.

Combined with meds OR hypertension alone, that's a recipe for disaster.

Combined with both -- ugh.

There are better ways to party that won't leave you sick.

Seriously, if these are your mates, and you give a clear, confident "no", they should respect that. If they don't, you might need to find some new mates.

sarahsweets
04-28-15, 04:16 AM
Dont do it!!! Sounds like a danger zone.

Cotter67
04-28-15, 09:39 AM
did it last night was fine

sarahsweets
04-28-15, 10:44 AM
Im not saying no one should drink on dex. What I am saying is the amount of alcohol the Op was planning to drink was dangerous.

did it last night was fine

Lunacie
04-28-15, 10:51 AM
I don't go to parties where there are stupid rules.

If the whole point is to take a break and have fun,
no one should be telling you have to do something.

If you decide to go, tell these friends that you have a medical condition
and are going to limit yourself to just one drink.

Like Namazu said, if they don't respect that, find new friends.

utopianbox
04-28-15, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the input guys, I'm sorry for the late reply. I reckon it's definitely a gamble. I could pretend to skull one (pour it) and cradle the other over one hour?
Just really mad cause this is the one event I can go to.

utopianbox
04-28-15, 10:59 AM
Like Namazu said, if they don't respect that, find new friends.

Sadly I refer to the Australian term "college", referring to a residential one. Everyone who attends must do it, as it is " tradition".

Unmanagable
04-28-15, 01:57 PM
Traditions are very sacred to some. But my life, and the ability to live it healthily, trumps all traditions, regardless of the sacredness. Tread softly into dangerous territory and don't allow the peer pressure of tradition to turn something fun into something fatal.

GeordieDave
04-28-15, 02:37 PM
My advice and this is from someone who is/was a binge drinker... and have had some terrible experiences from drinking a large amount of alcohol is:

By all means have a drink, get happy drunk and enjoy yourself!

But honestly chuging and drinking large amount of alcohol whilst taking meds does not work.

I struggle with backouts to the point I can not remember 6 hours of my life and ended up in silly situations. Because I drink far to much when I'm out.

I know everyone is different.. But I would suggest to simply take your time and enjoy yourself.

Explain to yours friends that you're currently on medication.

utopianbox
04-29-15, 12:30 AM
It's crazy that I have to ask this in the first place and it's just sad that living in a place full of 19-23 year olds harbours more peer pressure than high school. It's actually the second year living here and even still it's a pretty intense environment. Sure, one can defy "tradition", though only to be ostracised by the entire community!
Still, I will take everything on board and will most likely attend though present a facade that I am drinking a lot when in reality I won't.
I remember when I was taking MPH that when I drank I had a stupid "tolerance" that subsided when it wore off... Those weren't fun nights haha :o
I was just asking in regards to dex because it affects me differently, and who better to ask then a bunch of people in similar positions, right?
Thanks again! :)
:thankyou:

Jenn1202
04-29-15, 12:34 AM
You could tell them that you can't drink due to a medical problem. I've done this before and people were pretty understanding. I know it sucks not to be able to do what everyone else is doing, but it's better than making your problems worse.

sarahsweets
04-30-15, 04:49 AM
Look, no one wants to be the outcast but seriously? Is it worth your health? Will these people save your as* if you get alcohol poisoning, or fall and hit your head and end up with a traumatic brain injury?

utopianbox
04-30-15, 06:59 AM
Look, no one wants to be the outcast but seriously? Is it worth your health? Will these people save your as* if you get alcohol poisoning, or fall and hit your head and end up with a traumatic brain injury?

Yeah, that makes total sense. I have been asking around at the rules when it comes to medical conditions and most have said that I get to decide (I'm actually surprised!!), so I think I may have one or two, though long after the last dose of dex wears off.

Thanks for everything guys, wish me luck! :P

Fuzzy12
04-30-15, 07:49 AM
Yeah, that makes total sense. I have been asking around at the rules when it comes to medical conditions and most have said that I get to decide (I'm actually surprised!!), so I think I may have one or two, though long after the last dose of dex wears off.

Thanks for everything guys, wish me luck! :P

Glad to hear that the rules aren't that draconian but I think, it's still pretty disgusting that there are any sort of rules at all, even if unofficial, or any sort of pressure about drinking. :mad:

Little Missy
04-30-15, 07:52 AM
Sorry, but that all sounds like a bunch of hogwash to me. Succumbing to peer pressure has never been my forte.

someothertime
04-30-15, 07:58 AM
Apart from the physiological / med balance points..... Dex mostly nullifies alcohol anyways.....

Shame to miss these "cornerstone" events tho' ;).......

So, if your gonna drink.... ( i'm not a doc... ) i would assume not taking dex at MINIMUM 4 hours beforehand..... and not till the booze has left your system ( personally i'd advise 1 day off them if it's heavy drinking )..... Some people can handle these types of "disturbances to their force".... aka..... stopping meds for a day etc. with minimal issues..... ( i think youth plays a role ).... for others it can have flow ons for weeks ( concetration, mood sleep and so forth )....

So, it's your call but at minimum.... I wouldn't mix the two..... :)

Peace

utopianbox
05-04-15, 11:45 PM
Well, it all went really well. Was a good night! I drank one bottle and that was enough for me, and I was at that "happy" state most of the night. Had a pretty sore head the next day but yeah.

Just wanna say to all of you lovely people thanks so much for all the advice, you guys have been so good!
:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou: