View Full Version : Pair programming

neewsmonth
04-29-15, 11:55 AM
Has anyone tried it for work or studying ?

Satisfaction
In an online survey of pair programmers, 96% of them stated that they enjoyed their work more than when they programmed alone. Additionally, 95% of the surveyed programmers stated that they were more confident in their solutions when they pair programmed. A correlation exists between satisfaction among programmers and their confidence in the codes i.e. the pairs enjoy their work more because they are more confident in it.[4]
Learning
Knowledge is constantly shared between pair programmers, from tips on programming language rules to overall design skill.[5] In "promiscuous pairing", each programmer communicates and works with all the other programmers on the team rather than pairing only with one partner, which causes knowledge of the system to spread throughout the whole team.[2] Pair programming allows the programmers to examine their partner's code and provide feedback which is necessary to increase their own ability to develop monitoring mechanisms for their own learning activities.[5]
Team-building and communication
Pair programming allows team members to share problems and solutions quickly making them less likely to have hidden agendas from each other. This helps pair programmers to learn to communicate more easily. “This raises the communication bandwidth and frequency within the project, increasing overall information flow within the team.”[2]

From

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pair_programming

I think this is a great way to lower the procrastination threshold and win over short-memory deficiencies.

rickymooston
05-02-15, 09:54 AM
Has anyone tried it for work or studying ?

I know people into it.

While debugging, I have essentially done it but not done it formally.

In my opinion, I'd prefer programming alone, unless the pairing
was a good pairing.

I have to use lots of coping skills to communicate with bottom up people. Some of them are so focused on the trees that my better high level skills get marginalized.

Anyway, think about some of your work place of school intereactions. I garantee you that this would be a nightware if you were paired with somebody incompatible. I'm currently working with somebody totally incompatible with me.

It can be a dream if there is a "mind meld".

Procratination isn't a problem for me in the work place. I have deadlines.

My work place problems would be making reasonable estimates and keeping my work place empty.

The best agile idea for somebody with ADHD is probably scrum but Kobann has potential merit too.

That said, some of the structure they impose still can remove the advantages of my strong high level skills some times. It depends.

neewsmonth
05-02-15, 11:43 PM
I know people into it.

In my opinion, I'd prefer programming alone, unless the pairing
was a good pairing.

I have to use lots of coping skills to communicate with bottom up people. Some of them are so focused on the trees that my better high level skills get marginalized.

Anyway, think about some of your work place of school intereactions. I garantee you that this would be a nightware if you were paired with somebody incompatible. I'm currently working with somebody totally incompatible with me.

It can be a dream if there is a "mind meld".

Procratination isn't a problem for me in the work place. I have deadlines.

My work place problems would be making reasonable estimates and keeping my work place empty.

The best agile idea for somebody with ADHD is probably scrum but Kobann has potential merit too.

That said, some of the structure they impose still can remove the advantages of my strong high level skills some times. It depends.

working with a random peer obviously defeats the purpose of the paradigm.

" On simple tasks, which the pair already fully understands, pairing results in a net drop in productivity.[7][8] Productivity can also drop when novice–novice pairing is used without sufficient availability of a mentor to coach them.[9]" [from wikipedia]

I believe there's a complementary peer for every ADHD skillset :)

Maurice
05-03-15, 11:08 PM
This pair programming sounds okay. Especially if you have a good partner. The first thing that caught my eye was the "promiscuous pairing" A female partner would be great! :D:cool:

neewsmonth
05-04-15, 06:39 PM
watch out what you're asking for (http://imgkid.com/human-android-female.shtml) :)