View Full Version : Does "brand" really make a difference?

mommajen08
04-30-15, 02:15 PM
Hello! I'm new to Ritalin and am feeling a little frustrated.

Late March I was prescribed 10mg IR twice a day. I went to my local CVS and received the Sandoz brand. It made a huge difference in my day to day functioning although two a day wasn't enough. Some days I'd take three and would just take the weekend "off" but the variation in how I'd feel from day to day wasn't ideal.

On Monday, my doc upped me to 10mg IR three times a day. I was so relieved as I knew this would really help me manage my ADHD consistently. Well....I went to the same CVS and received the Mallinkrodt brand.

This "new" prescription feels so watered down. It helps a tiny bit, not much. I can focus a little more than normal, but not like I did with the Sandoz. I also feel very mellow with the Mallinkrodt. The Sandoz calmed me down, but left me happy and energetic. The Mallinkrodt calms me down a little (not as much as the Sandoz) but leaves me feeling a little lethargic.

Am I crazy? Could their be any other reason why my prescription isn't working like it did the first month? Do pharmacies carry more than one generic "brand" of a drug or is it normal for them to switch which "brand" they are dispensing? Should I (can I) request Sandoz next time I get my Rx?

This really sucks now that I cannot fill my Rx until May 27th :(

Jenn1202
05-03-15, 01:55 AM
Yes. Some generics work better than others. Also, the side effects often vary, depending on the brand.

Maurice
05-03-15, 10:47 PM
Damn sure does! CVS manages to get the worst generic crap in the world. They gave me some crap from Audobino manufactured in India and it worked a little bit. But the side effects were intolerable! Headaches, stomach aches, heart racing, etc. Called my insurance company and it took an hour, but I asked for a prior authorization to get real name brand Shire Adderall XR instead of mixed amphetamine salts from India. The FDA found microorganisms growing in their labs lol!

AED1955
05-15-15, 12:54 PM
I live in S.W. Ohio and was able to get the Sandoz generic at CVS up until about October of 2014 when they switched to Mallinckrodt. When I asked why the change the pharmacist stated that orders submitted to Sandoz were rejected and could not get an explanation as to why. Since I was out of meds I went ahead and let them fill it with the Mallinckrodt version and found it was definitely inferior to Sandoz. On my next fill I tried Walgreens and they filled it with the Watson generic. Although not as effective as the Sandoz version it was way better than Mallinckrodt, so I have been filling there ever since. I did some checking around and in this area it seems that Mallinckrodt, Watson, and Corepharma are the only generics available.

Sickle
07-02-15, 12:58 PM
I think Sandoz is the "authorized generic" because I am on the 30 mg Daytrana and take a 20 mg Ritalin in the morning and I got the Sandoz and have had brand in the past and they look the same with different markings and Sandoz is the sister company to Novartis so it makes sense. The inactive ingredients are exactly the same. I got mine at Rite Aid this month and I hope they can keep getting them. I didn't like Mallinckrodt products of any med with the exception of the 10 mg dexedrine tablet. They did well with that one but their other ADHD meds including the 5 mg Dex tablet and the ER version were just horrible. Anxiety etc.

Canadian4Life
09-05-15, 02:28 PM
Brand really makes ALL the difference with some drugs and ritalin to me is the main one. I have been on alot of different kinds of methylphenidate and they all worked different and affected me different. Couldn't handle long release versions (concerta,sr, and so on). I find the I.R. tablets work the best for me. The pharmacy I go to has two types of ritalin tablets. They have the I.R. 20mg and 10mg but they have APO and MPH versooins. I take the 10mg apo ritalin. only ones that agree with me fully. I take 60mg a day so I need to take 2 10mg three times daily. So yes every formulation of ritalin for me was very very different

JFK4525
09-12-15, 07:48 PM
I like to think of it like buying pencils. This sounds strange but bear with me. When you go out and buy some pencils, would you rather have those really crappy ones with the insanely hard erasers that do more harm than good, or those dixon ticonderoga pencils that are probably from some super secret endangered forest on the moon.

I don't have any personal experience to back this up but I can only assume that they're generic and cheaper for a reason other than just the name brand. And since none of us are genius chemists or anything of the sort there's no way for us to know any different.

If I wanted to get non-generic Ritalin would I just ask my doctor before he wires the script over to the pharmacy? I know my insurance pays for it and I've done it once before with Adderall but things are kinda different now in New York since they started doing electronic scripts for controlled substances.

salleh
09-13-15, 01:03 AM
I don't know about Ritalin ..but with adderall IR there's a huge difference in the quality ....

....the FDA and the pharmacies themselves will deny it ...but I have been a member of this forum for several years now , and that is NOT what the member of this forum find .....we know quality is all over the map ! even to within the same med, but different strengths ....

....and doncha just love the way they look at you when you tell them this ...?? you'd a thunk you asked for needles to go with your meds ...grrrr ....

.....We aren't idiots, I find the folks here to be thoughtful, attentive to details people ...of course this may be the only place we are ...but we do know a lot about ADD and it's meds ...the hard way ....

ADELIO12
09-13-15, 01:35 AM
Damn sure does! CVS manages to get the worst generic crap in the world. They gave me some crap from Audobino manufactured in India and it worked a little bit. But the side effects were intolerable! Headaches, stomach aches, heart racing, etc. Called my insurance company and it took an hour, but I asked for a prior authorization to get real name brand Shire Adderall XR instead of mixed amphetamine salts from India. The FDA found microorganisms growing in their labs lol!

Now I have to disagree with you here and this is exactly why brands vary for person to person. I've just recently started the audobino or whatever brand @ 30mg 2x a day and I really feel better than I have in awhile after using the Teva/Barr which everyone loves. SO it varyies by person.

karbouris
09-13-15, 04:42 PM
Hello! I'm new to Ritalin and am feeling a little frustrated.

Late March I was prescribed 10mg IR twice a day. I went to my local CVS and received the Sandoz brand. It made a huge difference in my day to day functioning although two a day wasn't enough. Some days I'd take three and would just take the weekend "off" but the variation in how I'd feel from day to day wasn't ideal.

On Monday, my doc upped me to 10mg IR three times a day. I was so relieved as I knew this would really help me manage my ADHD consistently. Well....I went to the same CVS and received the Mallinkrodt brand.

This "new" prescription feels so watered down. It helps a tiny bit, not much. I can focus a little more than normal, but not like I did with the Sandoz. I also feel very mellow with the Mallinkrodt. The Sandoz calmed me down, but left me happy and energetic. The Mallinkrodt calms me down a little (not as much as the Sandoz) but leaves me feeling a little lethargic.

Am I crazy? Could their be any other reason why my prescription isn't working like it did the first month? Do pharmacies carry more than one generic "brand" of a drug or is it normal for them to switch which "brand" they are dispensing? Should I (can I) request Sandoz next time I get my Rx?

This really sucks now that I cannot fill my Rx until May 27th :(
Yes! There is a major difference in effect and side effect profile. Most places carry the ones with the "m" on them. That is probably the best generic for me.

amiga94
09-21-15, 07:21 PM
I've been on Ritalin ever since I was 5, and I've pretty much tried all the brands (Ritalin IR, SR, LA, sandoz, apo, teva, novo, Concerta, and probably forgetting a couple of them). It does make a difference, although they all work. I'd say that original Ritalin IR and Concerta are the most effective ones, and generics are less effective for me. Concerta makes me more focused than Ritalin, but Ritalin makes me calmer than Concerta. As I'm very hyperactive and impulsive/moody, I take Ritalin. But some people could prefer Concerta I guess.

Hope that helps