View Full Version : Social anxiety and empathy

sarek
04-30-15, 03:06 PM
I found this rather interesting:

http://www.idealistrevolution.org/studies-link-social-anxiety-to-high-iqs-empathetic-ability-sentinel-intelligence/

midnightstar
04-30-15, 03:31 PM
It's interesting that the link says that people with anxiety and depression are more intelligent than those people without it :)

Abi
04-30-15, 04:32 PM
Another research study from the SUNY Downstate Medical Center in New York revealed that people with severe cases of GAD (general anxiety disorder) had much higher IQ’s than those who had more mild cases. The theory is that “an anxious mind is a searching mind,” meaning that people with anxiety are constantly analyzing, assessing, formulation ideas, reflecting, and processing information.

Interesting.

I have technically severe through the roof GAD as per beck inventory.

Having said that, I would rather be a dumb NT than have GAD and Bipolar.

TheChemicals
04-30-15, 09:20 PM
Reminds me of my super intelligent friend who seemed slow to me and terrible at feeling people out. Well to me anyway. I used to believe I had a powerful empathic connection but who wants to feel suffering and pain all the time? I turned that sht off decades ago. Detached and disconnected is better.

eclectic beagle
04-30-15, 09:26 PM
I score very highly on measures of verbal ability, but honestly have come to the conclusion that anxiety impairs my performance. Honestly, haven't associated anxiety with anything useful, and even after reading that article it doesn't make it any easier.

stef
05-01-15, 02:59 AM
I think the articlle gives an interesting perspective. its good to read that. but then i know some people at work who can spot a dangerous situation miles away, but dont have the social anxiety.
now im thinking maybe my boss does though. he always skips out early from company events for example.

eclectic beagle
05-01-15, 02:12 PM
I think the articlle gives an interesting perspective. its good to read that. but then i know some people at work who can spot a dangerous situation miles away, but dont have the social anxiety.
now im thinking maybe my boss does though. he always skips out early from company events for example.

Hmm, could be some of them don't admit to having social anxiety.

daveddd
05-01-15, 09:30 PM
Hmm, could be some of them don't admit to having social anxiety.

yea, i have severe social anxiety, I'm not sure i tell anyone though

i do think i have a heightened reaction to emotional contagion

though i don't know that its a gift as much as a deficiency of transforming the contagion to cognitive empathy or problem solving states

daveddd
05-01-15, 09:31 PM
Interesting.

I have technically severe through the roof GAD as per beck inventory.

Having said that, I would rather be a dumb NT than have GAD and Bipolar.

did you see the big bang where sheldon tried to induce to optimal anxious state for working?

I've thought about this state , and the association to our various conditions

daveddd
05-01-15, 09:36 PM
i just reread it

i know about social anxiety and stronger emotional transference

but better mentalizing? surprised by that, would think the opposite