View Full Version : restless legs syndrome

icarusinflames
05-01-15, 05:29 PM
I just read this and I thought I could post it here in case anyone else is having issues with this.

Restless Legs Syndrome
In restless legs syndrome, people jerk their legs around during sleep. Restless legs syndrome is a predictor of impaired dopamine production in the brain, which can lead to disorders such as social phobia and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. It is also a predictor of cardiovascular disease, reports a Harvard research team in the January 1, 2008, issue of "Neurology." People with restless legs syndrome make 200 to 300 leg movements every night, note the researchers. These movements are accompanied by an acute, rapid increase in heart rate and blood pressure. Over time this can cause cardiovascular disease.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/195851-what-are-the-causes-of-low-dopamine-levels/

comment from me: WOW your heart races and blood pressure increases during sleep from this? No wonder I have so many nightmares and anxiety dreams!

Powderbucket
05-04-15, 08:20 AM
I just read this and I thought I could post it here in case anyone else is having issues with this.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/195851-what-are-the-causes-of-low-dopamine-levels/

comment from me: WOW your heart races and blood pressure increases during sleep from this? No wonder I have so many nightmares and anxiety dreams!

Thank you for posting this.

You can ask my partner, but I move my legs around constantly in bed. It goes from tapping my foot about to moving the whole lower half and then more. I don't know if I do it in my sleep, but definitely as I'm going to sleep and definitely as I'm waking up. every day. I thought it was because I went to gym a lot and enjoyed running :/

icarusinflames
05-04-15, 08:58 AM
Thank you for posting this.

You can ask my partner, but I move my legs around constantly in bed. It goes from tapping my foot about to moving the whole lower half and then more. I don't know if I do it in my sleep, but definitely as I'm going to sleep and definitely as I'm waking up. every day. I thought it was because I went to gym a lot and enjoyed running :/
Glad it can help. It runs in the family so if you tell your family about it, it can help prevent a serious cardiovascular illness to develop. Since you need to get it treated to avoid the stress on your heart over the long run.

InvitroCanibal
05-10-15, 05:34 AM
I run in my sleep and basically spin in circles ending up with my head where my feet were and my pillow lauched 7 feet away.

I take adhd meds at night for this reason. However there are a few reasons it can occur, the main one is dopamine is too low which brings up Acetylcholine and causes a decrease in muscle tone and increase in jerky movements or restless legs.

You can either do two things as a solution to achieve balance. Increase dopamine via adhdmeds,or decrease acetyl choline.

If adhd meds at night isn't an option, try benadryl. I absolutely hate benadryl but my fiancee uses it for restless leg symptoms and akathesia.

I had learned benadryl worked when my fiancee had a horrible akathesia side effect where all her muscles were in severe pain and clenching and she had to move them. Worst i've ever seen. I discovered the solution when I had to think fast and I hypothesized that benadryl might work but I only had a few minutes to think. I gave it to her and it worked. My doc later told me benadryl and cogentin were what he prescribed for akathesia,or RLS

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me and It makes me go into a homocidal rage.

Well sweet dreams :D

willow129
05-10-15, 11:36 AM
I've been wondering if I have this.

It doesn't seem as severe as cases of Restless Legs that I've heard of, here's my experience - would be really helpful to hear what you guys think.

When I was a kid I really couldn't sleep without sort of rocking my legs back and forth. (this is embarrassing but I was also in habit of banging my head on my pillow for a long time too) I sort of learned to try and stop it when I was in college because I didn't want to keep my roommate up, and also when sleeping with a significant other. I always thought it was kind of a bad habit I had, a way to soothe myself, kind of like sucking my thumb. Sometimes I'm tired enough, especially now that I'm working, that my head meets the pillow and I'm asleep no problem. But nowadays my solution is to read until I start dozing off. If I don't read (boyfriend says the flashlight keeps him awake) I do often have the restlessness feeling. It's hard to feel soothed enough to sleep if I don't move but I just try to resist the urge and I am often able to fall asleep unless there's something else bothering me.

As a side note: I remember years ago seeing an ad about this somewhere online and being like, I would totally think this was a load of crap made-up syndrome except that I experience these things as well!!! :P ha. It's a strange phenomenon.

icarusinflames
05-10-15, 12:36 PM
My doc later told me benadryl and cogentin were what he prescribed for akathesia,or RLS

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me and It makes me go into a homocidal rage.

Well sweet dreams :D

LOL! It's not fun to sleep next to a homicidal dreamer, so I am glad you decided to forego benadryl. I'm sure everyone sleeps deeper near you as a result. hehe (j/k!)

Thanks for the tip! I may have to look into that since I actually want to sleep better. If my next sleep study proves RLS or PLM, I will ask for treatment for that. It may be that they just want me to take ADHD meds, which I will anyhhow.

icarusinflames
05-10-15, 12:38 PM
I've been wondering if I have this.

It doesn't seem as severe as cases of Restless Legs that I've heard of, here's my experience - would be really helpful to hear what you guys think

You're pretty young so your symptoms could be very mild, if you have it. Only a sleep study can see if you do have either restless legs syndrome or periodic limb movements (which can even be MORE disturbing to sleep). Sleep apnea can occur even if you are young and slim, if you have the narrow passages in the back of the throat.

These sleep disorders often accompany ADHD, so it's worth asking for a good sleep study that would check for RLS, PLM, as well as breathing issues.

If you can get a sleep study payed for by insurance, I'd do it now. Later on, if you get better insurance at some point, or if you can qualify for an affordable study, that's a possibility as well.

InvitroCanibal
05-10-15, 04:23 PM
Oh almost forgot, exercise decreases Ach and does improve RLS but to what extent or over how much time I can't say. I know everyone gets tired of the "just work out brah!" philosophy a lot of people in society have but it can help.

The challenge though would be you'd have to sleep well to have the energy to exercise so it is something to think about down the road when you find a med that works.

icarusinflames
06-16-15, 03:34 AM
just an update, after taking Adderall for over a week, I have ZERO aching in my legs at all. My calf muscles feel much better and I'm not getting any cramps when I stretch in the morning. I would say that this convinces me that all my soreness and lower leg/foot pain was from RLS, which is a dopamine based problem. yay!