View Full Version : ADHD & creativity? less D2 receptors in the head?

icarusinflames
05-01-15, 06:43 PM
This section of text from a webpage reminds me of many creative types I have known who were a little different in their thought processes. You can say "genius" but in their small section of reality as most people I know didn't really get famous or achieve big things, at least not yet. Sometimes this is about hidden talents, private interests, more so!

Creativity
Highly creative people often have a low density of dopamine receptors in the brain, reports a Karolinska research team in the May 2010 issue of "PLoS ONE." While highly creative people produce enough dopamine, they have fewer dopamine D2 receptors in the thalamus. In this respect, their brains resemble people with schizophrenia. Schizophrenics also have a low density of D2 receptors in the thalamus. This results in a tendency to make highly unusual associations, which the researchers believe explain the creativity of both healthy creative people and schizophrenics. A low density of D2 receptors in the thalamus affects people's ability to filter out information. With more information coming in from the thalamus, it is possible for creative people to see unusual connections that other people don't see. This can be a gift in a problem-solving situations, but it can also result in a misinterpretation of other people's intentions.

Of course, it also reminds me of me! It's interesting to think that my highly creative tendency to associate wildly, and find amusing and interesting connections is interesting! Others may not get it but. But hey, interesting is what I am all about. I'm always interested in things that are complex or deep or even seem esoteric.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/195851-what-are-the-causes-of-low-dopamine-levels/