View Full Version : Anyone using Tenex alone?

wibblet
05-03-15, 04:48 AM
So I was just prescribed Tenex, I wanted intuniv but my psychiatrist said that it's only for kids 17 and under which I think is a bit ridiculous but whatever. I was prescribed Tenex instead which I found out is basically the instant release version of Guanfacine rather than the extended release (intuniv).

Anyway, I have to take a non-stimulant because I'm hypersensitive to stimulants. So I was wondering if anyone is taking Guanfacine alone and if it's helping mainly with their focus problem?

USMC
06-15-15, 04:17 PM
I'm 27 and my doctor is going to give me a prescription for Intuniv next Tuesday. But I'm going to ask her for the instant release instead because my insurance won't cover the extended release. I also can't take stimulants. And would like to know the answer to this question. How many times a day are you taking the instant release?

namazu
06-15-15, 07:35 PM
There are evidently generic versions of Intuniv now (http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/drugsatfda/index.cfm?fuseaction=Search.Overview&DrugName=GUANFACINE%20HYDROCHLORIDE), recently approved/licensed, so that might be something to look into before you ask for short-acting guanfacine.

The short-acting stuff was used off-label for years before Intuniv was approved for ADHD, so if you do go that route, it may still be helpful, but at least in my experience, the fewer pills I have to remember to take per day, the better!

sarahsweets
06-16-15, 04:10 AM
My daughter takes only clonidine for adhd after she became somewhat intolerant to stimulants and she has been doing great in school.

Meteodan
07-12-15, 10:10 PM
Intuniv is quite often prescribed for adults. Your psychiatrist was probably referring to the fact that it only has official FDA approval for children (so far). Nothing stops him/her from prescribing it "off label" for adults.

I'm taking Intuniv (1 mg) in combination with Vyvanse. I've found it to be a good combination so far. I have a feeling it wouldn't work so well for me on its own, however.

Pryncess2010
09-29-15, 01:44 PM
Sarah, what MG does your daughter take and is it just at night time before bed or also during the day?

bobC
01-27-16, 03:13 AM
Tenex has a long half life of 24+ hours which means it only needs to be taken once per day. I strongly feel there is no reason for Intuniv to exist at 20x the cost.

I found Tenex mentally but not physically sedating. Clonidine was both mentally and physically sedating. they both work by stimulating alpha 2 receptors which is the slow down feedback loop stimulants trigger to prevent over stimulation.

A major difference with tenex is it lacks the notable rebound (hyperglycemia) effects of clonidine.

The clonidine rebound is ~14-16 hours after you take it. It is a rush of physical energy/alertness/increasing blood sugar/sweating. It was possible to time this rebound to hit when I would wake up in the morning. It would cause me to just leap out of bed to a fully awake state.

Personally I can only imagine taking clonidine or tenex with a stimulant otherwise I would feel very spaced out and or tired. the rebound effect with a stimulant on top was unpleasant.

other odd facts:

clonidine is one of the only drugs known to increase the amount of time a person spends in deep stage 3/4 sleep. increased deep sleep increases growth hormone levels. Clonidine reduces blood sugar causing mild hypoglycemic type side effects.

Clonidine and Tenex reduce sweating and can increase risks of overheating if physically working in a hot climate.

Tenex is one of the only drugs that targets receptors in the frontal cortex.

bobc

Roundmouth
06-21-16, 05:52 PM
I've read somewhere that clonidine makes better results alone compared to when used with stimulants. Guanfacine on the other hand seems to work best along with a stimulant. It seems like there's little overlap or cross interaction between stimulant and guanfacine, but on the other hand they seem to reduce some of the respective side-effects.

I've read a lot about guanfacine and I've become very curious to trying it. Targeting norepinephrine flow in prefrontal cortex, doesn't that sound like more or less exactly what we would be looking for? The whole executive functioning bit, and besides things connected to facial recognition and social interaction are located there. Maybe this one would even help with some more typical autistic issues?

Appearantly it doesn't work for everyone. But interestingly it seems to have some unexpected effects.

It's said to reduce hyperactivity, impulsivity and anxiety, but I've had the impression that many people with more problems with attention and procrastination and none or few symptoms of impulsivity/hyperactivity, people who get no increase in function from stimulants sometimes get help from guanfacine.

I personally so far seem to respond well to stimulants, but they only affect some specific parts of my total spectrum of problems. Those most bothersome things are not at all affected. I get better emotional regulation which is welcome - but that's none of my major problems. I really want to try guanfacine in the future, but first of all I want to find the right dose of stimulants.