View Full Version : the impact of pregnancy on ADHD in women (well obviously lol)

icarusinflames
05-03-15, 11:45 PM
I thought I would toss this out there in case anyone is pregnant or having a baby. I had such an unsual reaction to pregnancy that it is worth mentioning, even though I do not yet have my ADHD diagnosis. I am certain that I had significant severity of ADHD enough to make me very different in many regards. One was that while I was pregnancy, I was happier and more balanced than when I am not pregnant. I only managed to get pregnant once, which is a blessing in disguise because if I had to deal with sibling rivalry, I would self-implode, I am sure. One child is enough and I actually love taking care of my kid!

But the thing is, after I had the baby, I went into a sort of personal and hidden crisis. At first, you truly are being a hero and getting up around the clock, barely sleep, hardly bathing, and you turn into an affectionate zombie to your young baby. I tried to give myself time, but I felt more and more as the months passed, and then 1 year and 2 years passed by... It was something more!

I think actually that the experience of being pregnant, then delivering and having that enhancement of dopamine (from the pregnancy) suddenly removed will trigger a major crisis in how suddenly everything is so hard.

I never felt more wonderful than when I was pregnant. Even sex was nirvana. I realize now it was more than just the extra blood supply to the gut. I was able to focus on the experience finally so it became almost a religious experience, in intensity.

If I were able to go back, I would make sure that I was to be medicated after I finished breastfeeding, which I could not maintain past about 12 months.

Maybe someone else has experienced similar things, or they are currently struggling with a post-partum depression that will not life. Mine lasted like, well basically since the birth of my daughter until recently when I finally got sick of drinking secretly and I read up on the symptoms of things. I was going to actually help a friend who I felt was either sociopathic or was something similar but with more genuine heart. Not to insult ADHD, I did land on the ADHD pages and it was like a photographic match to the portrait of the symptoms I have had (for a female adult, inattentive type)

sarahsweets
05-05-15, 04:57 AM
Well our experiences couldn't have been more different. I have had adhd my whole life diagnosed at a very young age and not treated til my 20's. I have three kids, all natural drug free deliveries. I always noticed my adhd symptoms became significantly worse combined with that pregnancy brain and I was all over the place. Like I said, I didn't begin treatment until my 20's so after my last child was born, I decided that it wasn't normal and I would continue to be a terrible mother if I didn't seek treatment. I believe whole heartedly that PPD lasts well beyond what is considered typical, and its even worse with multiple kids. The last baby I had ended up with me inpatient at a hospital because I wanted to kill myself. I wish society stopped trying to act like the "baby blues" had some kind of start and finish. I think physical changes in anyone affects their adhd and women in particular have to pay close attention to this and stay in close contact with their doctors.

peripatetic
05-15-15, 06:30 PM
my experience was more like sarah's. my daughter is almost two months old right now.

my concentration was for **** (i've not been on adhd medication for the past couple of years, but, also like sarah, diagnosed as a child and again as an adult). it's generally not great unmedicated, but it was abysmal when pregnant. i couldn't read a post that was of any length and not being able to go running made clearing my head impossible and my fidgeting was at a new level of horrid. plus, i don't think anyone around me finished a sentence for several months. i just could.not.shut.up.

other mental health problems were reduced, i will say, and then when no longer pregnant exacerbated again, but adhd? no...pregnancy ****** with me completely in that respect.

i am glad to hear things went well for you; best wishes for continued success!

stef
05-16-15, 02:03 AM
personally, after the third month ( queasy and unstable), i felt amazing!
focused, quiet, calm. Everything seemed rich and beautiful and i slept deeply ( until the last month i was huge, lol). And i had beautiful, flawless skin, bonus!
it was hard but the real problems set in after i stopped nursing at9 months. there must have been some soothing hormones that went with that. i was just so unorganized! i thought i was a terrible mom.

icarusinflames
05-16-15, 08:23 AM
Thanks everyone for replying! I was nervous to put this all out there in the public side of the forum, but waiting on the private forum is too much to ask for an impulsive woman like me. lol

I am wondering if the difference in experiences may have something to do with unique differences in each of our cases, or perhaps due to some individuals having their babies during the time they were actually treated for ADHD.

Maybe we will never know, but I also had the same experience as stef that my serious struggles (with what I know as ADHD now) began when I stopped lactation activities. Up till then I was somewhat comfortable and able to handle the extreme stress of my first born child. And prior to my pregnancy, I was always a disorganized mess but I was constantly able to pick up the slack and work hard to restore order to my home and myself in intervals. After my first child, I was unable to function except to take care of our basic needs (while living in a very messy home). Now my efforts are never enough and I can't even finish the dishes on any given day. I do my dishes like over a 2 day period usually!

Lizzie80
06-06-15, 02:10 AM
my experience was more like sarah's. my daughter is almost two months old right now.

my concentration was for **** (i've not been on adhd medication for the past couple of years, but, also like sarah, diagnosed as a child and again as an adult). it's generally not great unmedicated, but it was abysmal when pregnant. i couldn't read a post that was of any length and not being able to go running made clearing my head impossible and my fidgeting was at a new level of horrid. plus, i don't think anyone around me finished a sentence for several months. i just could.not.shut.up.

other mental health problems were reduced, i will say, and then when no longer pregnant exacerbated again, but adhd? no...pregnancy ****** with me completely in that respect.

i am glad to hear things went well for you; best wishes for continued success!

I am not yet at the point of having kids (maybe never will be considering my clock is ticking pretty darn loud by now), but I am terrified of the withdrawal from ADD medication that would occur if I was to try and conceive. And at my age, conceiving can take awhile. Between that, pregnancy time, and nursing time...wow. I just can't imagine spending a year+ off of meds. But then I also have fibromyalgia, too, and my ADD med is a big part of pain management and relieving the awful low energy of that. I'd be screwed if I had to manage my finances, college, career, household, etc., without my medication. But I also hate the idea that I'd have to forego having a child over that. What a battle this is sometimes...