View Full Version : One Week In!

flightybird
05-06-15, 12:03 PM
So, a week ago, I stared on Concerta 18mg, and it was an incredible change. The way I have been describing it to people is like - you know when you're in a busy restaurant and it is SO NOISY, but then you step outside the door, and even though you can still hear the sounds, they are much more muffled and manageable? - I feel like I have been in a noisy restaurant for 29 years, and just this past week was able to step outside the door and get some quiet.

Thing is, now, about a week in, I'm not noticing it as much. My focus is slipping again, and I catch myself stimming a lot more than I was - bouncing my legs, etc. Am I just getting too "comfortable" and being lazy and unproductive, or could this be a sign I should talk to my p-doc about upping the dosage when i go back later this month?

I've had no negative side effects, aside from a lessened appetite (but tbh, that's not negative for me, because I was previously an emotional binge-eater) but I don't want to GET nasty side effects either.

All in all though, so far so good. Honestly, the first day on meds was so good I nearly cried. I'm really hoping we found the medication that works for me on the second try and just need to adjust my dosage.

Powderbucket
05-11-15, 05:48 AM
So, a week ago, I stared on Concerta 18mg, and it was an incredible change. The way I have been describing it to people is like - you know when you're in a busy restaurant and it is SO NOISY, but then you step outside the door, and even though you can still hear the sounds, they are much more muffled and manageable? - I feel like I have been in a noisy restaurant for 29 years, and just this past week was able to step outside the door and get some quiet.

Thing is, now, about a week in, I'm not noticing it as much. My focus is slipping again, and I catch myself stimming a lot more than I was - bouncing my legs, etc. Am I just getting too "comfortable" and being lazy and unproductive, or could this be a sign I should talk to my p-doc about upping the dosage when i go back later this month?

I've had no negative side effects, aside from a lessened appetite (but tbh, that's not negative for me, because I was previously an emotional binge-eater) but I don't want to GET nasty side effects either.

All in all though, so far so good. Honestly, the first day on meds was so good I nearly cried. I'm really hoping we found the medication that works for me on the second try and just need to adjust my dosage.

Hi Flightybird,

It's awesome that you are feeling happier.

It might be that 18mg is a bit too low. My pdoc started me out on 36mg and every now and again I wonder if it's enough. That being said, I find that with Concerta I do have to exert more willpower than with Ritalin. I don't mind this too much as I think of it as me having to change my behaviour in a positive direction - the Concerta then rewards me by helping me to focus once the willpower has done the first step.

I have the option of taking 10mg Ritalin if the Concerta is being too chilled. I did this yesterday and got a big kick - don't know if I need to do it every day. Maybe up your dosage to 36mg, and ask for some IR Ritalin on the side to assist you if you feel it isn't working too well.

Also, I think your body builds a resistance to these drugs after some time? Maybe try keep the dose a little low for as long as possible to keep the resistance at bay. :)

Take care!