View Full Version : Caffeine and Alcohol Interaction

Powderbucket
05-07-15, 09:53 AM
Hi all,

So I am only on day 2 of my "Ritalin Trial". My trial involves taking 2 10mg IR tablets - one after breakfast and one after lunch. I can take a third if I want to, but I haven't. So far, so good. The Ritalin definitely calms me down and gives me a sense of well-being. I'm a lot more stable and productive so far - hope it lasts!

Just two concerns:
1) I don't drink coffee, but I drink a lot of tea (especially green tea). Can this be dangerous and have any effect on the pills? I think I must drink about 5 cups of green tea per day, throughout the day.

2) I'm going out with my sister tomorrow night and, originally, we were going to "have a good time". I'm going to be more responsible now and definitely not get drunk or anything like that, but I'm wondering what the effect will be if I have even one drink... The place we're going to makes amazing cocktails.... However, I don't want to have anything to drink at all if my mood/feelings are going to drastically alter after one or two drinks.

What are your experiences or opinions?

Corina86
05-07-15, 01:58 PM
1. Caffeine is a stimulant as well and green tea contains some (though not a lot) of caffeine. Too much stimulant of any kind can make you shaky, can increase anxiety or blood pressure, can cause rapid heartbeat etc. I think you should try Ritalin without any caffeine at first, so you can tell if you have any side effects. I read that a person should drink 1-2 cups or green tea per day, not more, but I guess you can try and see how much is too much for you.

Personally, I could never drink anything with caffeine while on Concerta (same drug, different release period) because of my blood pressure.

2. I understand that alcohol makes the meds get absorbed a lot quicker and increases the concentration of Ritalin your blood, which can lead to increased side effects.

I had a few drinks at times while medicated and nothing happened, but I drink very rarely anyway. I wouldn't want to put my liver through too much stress.

Powderbucket
05-07-15, 02:15 PM
1. Caffeine is a stimulant as well and green tea contains some (though not a lot) of caffeine. Too much stimulant of any kind can make you shaky, can increase anxiety or blood pressure, can cause rapid heartbeat etc. I think you should try Ritalin without any caffeine at first, so you can tell if you have any side effects. I read that a person should drink 1-2 cups or green tea per day, not more, but I guess you can try and see how much is too much for you.

Personally, I could never drink anything with caffeine while on Concerta (same drug, different release period) because of my blood pressure.

2. I understand that alcohol makes the meds get absorbed a lot quicker and increases the concentration of Ritalin your blood, which can lead to increased side effects.

I had a few drinks at times while medicated and nothing happened, but I drink very rarely anyway. I wouldn't want to put my liver through too much stress.

Thanks so much.

I think I'm going to give the green tea a break then. I'll limit myself to two cups per day and fill the hole with caffeine-free tea (I'm a bit of a tea fanatic).

I think it's safe to say that I can maybe have two cocktails at most (I REALLY like them). Actually, I'll rather see how I feel first after one.

yebwen9
10-05-15, 06:42 AM
I know this is an old post but thought id add my experience. I'm on day four of ritalin, had a coffee today and felt horrible all arvo. I felt like I had 100 cups of coffee. It was horrible. Wont be doing it again. I always have an instant coffee in the morning and its fine but a friend brought overba steong take away one and now I feel horrible!