View Full Version : Supplements

Add-free
05-10-15, 12:07 PM
Found something on Amazon that has Ginkgo Biloba, Acetyl L-Carnitine, St. Johns wort and Glutamine. 60 capsules for $19.99.

Anyone have experience with any of these natural supplements?

Powderbucket
05-11-15, 05:24 AM
Found something on Amazon that has Ginkgo Biloba, Acetyl L-Carnitine, St. Johns wort and Glutamine. 60 capsules for $19.99.

Anyone have experience with any of these natural supplements?

Hi Add-free,

Before getting properly diagnosed with ADHD, I took a whole bunch of amino-acids and other supplements to help myself "focus" and be more "awake" during the day. Unfortunately, I found that the supplements actually caused a lot of trouble for me and they started to cause a bit of depression and anxiety. That being said, it could be different for you, but I wouldn't go down the self-medicating route as a first choice. Maybe you can ask a psychiatrist, if you have one.

St. John's Wort is a tricky one and you shouldn't take it if you're taking any other medication. It can cause a bunch of problems with your Serotonin. I don't know much about the rest, but I have taken Acetyl L-Carnitine and it did nothing for me. The best supplement I've taken, but which also caused some heavy depression when I stopped it, was L-Phenylanaline. Interestingly, where I live (South Africa), they're starting to schedule all these kinds of supplements because they are finding that people do need to be properly assessed before taking some, because they can cause issues.

At the moment, I stick to all the Omega Oils and some other immune-system vitamins ONLY. My overall mood is much better. The only thing that helps my focus in Methylphenidate.

That being said, this is my opinion and it might be different for you. I'd just like to reiterate that just because supplements are advertised as being "natural" and "over the counter", it doesn't always mean they're right for you.

Add-free
05-11-15, 08:42 AM
I ordered it already so I'm going to give it a go. But I take serotonin and dopamine antagonist zyprexa. Also dopamine antagonist haldol, for schizophrenia. I seen good reviews on it for adhd. I guess time will tell how the st. johns affects me.

Strattera works excellent for me but I noticed with ginkgo biloba I had an enhanced focus similar to a stimulant.

Add-free
05-12-15, 07:31 AM
St John's wort can bring on psychosis in schizophrenics, so I will let my father use it instead. Should of done more research on it before ordering..

Powderbucket
05-12-15, 02:47 PM
St John's wort can bring on psychosis in schizophrenics, so I will let my father use it instead. Should of done more research on it before ordering..

A short Google will also tell you that Strattera can bring about schizophrenia though.

As I said, just be careful when it comes to these types of supplements. Not enough research has been done on them to fully understand their activity and impact in the brain and body.

Good luck.

GeordieDave
05-12-15, 03:29 PM
I've just started taking Krill Oil 2 capsules every morning

http://www.livestrong.com/article/490147-krill-oil-adhd/

Powderbucket
05-13-15, 10:16 AM

Omegas are great for everyone and especially for us ADHDers :)

Skyf@ll
05-24-15, 07:02 PM

I took them for a few weeks and never noticed any improvement in my concentration.

Still got some left so will finish them off. On meds now, so might compliment it, who knows!

Lunacie
05-24-15, 07:35 PM
I took them for a few weeks and never noticed any improvement in my concentration.

Still got some left so will finish them off. On meds now, so might compliment it, who knows!

I could tell pretty soon that fish oil was helping me. Before I'd have been
typing a reply on my keyboard, get stuck trying to think of a word, and
totally loose my train of thought by the time I remembered what word I
wanted to use.

After taking them for many months, I ran out and didn't buy more right
away. In less than a week I realized I was back to having bad brain fog,
and it scared me to realize I'd lived my whole life in that fog.

Either they work for a person or they don't. Much like Ritalin, which doesn't
work for everyone either.

Amtram
05-25-15, 08:33 PM
Of course, there's always the little problem of the supplements actually containing what they say they do. . .