View Full Version : Effects of adderall

gatorcali21
05-12-15, 11:38 PM
Has anyone had a negative effect with an adderall treated significant other on adderall? I don't think she abuses it per se as I think she takes it as prescribed, however she has disappeared. It has made her very successful at work, but the happy go lucky gal I fell in love with is gone. Now she barely smiles, is still somewhat distracted, just a concentrated distracted, and not all that nice. Anyone with the same experience? As you might imagine, she is very defensive about the subject, but it is very lonely from my perspective.

hg12345
05-13-15, 08:40 AM
That must be so frustrating for you. I take adderall and I find that it does decrease my spontaneous happy go lucky personalIt but it is suppose to do that. Adderall increases dopamine in the brain and therefore makes an add brain more like a normal brain. lowering the dose can help with this but sometimes it's just a matter of figuring out who you are with the meds

Powderbucket
05-13-15, 10:14 AM
Sorry to hear about the way you are feeling.

When I first got my medication, I sat down with my partner and we discussed what could possibly happen while I'm on the meds, and how we will handle potential situations. That said, we stayed optimistic about everything because my being on these meds was also supposed to benefit my partner to some extent.

Have you sat down and had a chat about this? It could just be that she's enjoying this side of her a lot. However, I do think it's a good idea for her to not get too caught up on it. It's important to remember who you are underneath the help of the medication - it should make you better "you"!

I find that Concerta feels more like the drug for me. I don't feel like I lose my personality, I'm just more regulated with my focus and emotions. Maybe she doesn't need to be on Adderall necessarily and could find a drug that helps her without the zoned-out bits? If you sit down and have a good chat about things, maybe you both can come to a compromise, or find a solution somewhere. It's important for her to feel better, but it should not detriment you. No one needs to get defensive if you're both open and honest about your feelings.

I hope you both come right.

gatorcali21
05-13-15, 01:43 PM
Thanks you guys for responding. I really appreciate it! I haven't really put two and two together about this until recently so I haven't really spoken to her about it. I had suspicions, but I kind of thought it was part of being ADHD. After some of my own soul searching on this, I realized it wasn't the scattered, spontaneity that bugged me, it was her constant drive to keep working, and the OCD that would randomly come and go with a vengeance. There are other things too related to the side effects that I'm not too fond of as well. I met her when she first started it, so we did not sit down and discuss the side effects, but it must be done, regardless of how uncomfortable it makes either one of us.

BellaVita
05-16-15, 09:17 PM
Being over-focused and experiencing a bit of a "zombie effect" can sometimes come from too high a dose of Adderall.

Gina
05-17-15, 01:16 AM
Has anyone had a negative effect with an adderall treated significant other on adderall? I don't think she abuses it per se as I think she takes it as prescribed, however she has disappeared. It has made her very successful at work, but the happy go lucky gal I fell in love with is gone. Now she barely smiles, is still somewhat distracted, just a concentrated distracted, and not all that nice. Anyone with the same experience? As you might imagine, she is very defensive about the subject, but it is very lonely from my perspective.

Yes. In fact, your question is the one I had back in 1999, when my own husband was started on Adderall. And I thought, the treatment is worse than ADHD.

I started a support group for the partners of adults with ADHD, to see if they had simliar experiences.

What I found was that the MDs are largely ignorant on this issue.

In fact, I credit the misuse of Adderall (and I'm talking among prescribing physicians) with a big chunk of the blowback against ADHD.

You can search for a blog post I wrote not long ago, on Adderall, or Madderall.

Good luck,
g

sarahsweets
05-17-15, 05:03 AM
The first thing is to be 100% sure its the adderall and nothing else is going on with her that would cause her personality to seem different. The other thing is, like someone else said, too high of a dose can sometimes "blunt" your personality. Have you talked with her about this?

sarahsweets
05-17-15, 05:20 AM
Gina, I read your blog post and it was well laid out and easy to follow. The thing is, did you mean that adderall as in the ir tablets are the outdated meds or were you talking about the xr version? Im just curious. I also wondered why some physicians always start with adderall although not because the methyphenidate class of drugs is somehow better though, just that it seems like a crap shoot either way and that adderall is the new buzz word so its often the go-to. I dont think that there are any more dangers to prescribing adderall first than any other stimulant. I think all stimulants carry that chance. I know for me, I was started on ritalin and I had such severe mood swings, that it really aggravated my bipolar and I had to switch to an amphetamine. Do you feel the same way about dexedrine?

I took adderall for 4 years and it worked great. I was on the same dose with no side effects and never needed a dose adjustment. I never felt it, it hummed along in the backround. All of a sudden though, out of the blue, it just started to give me some major anxiety, and I couldnt deal with it anymore so I went back to dexedrine and things have been great since. My treatment history began in my 20's with ritalin, a bunch of others, then dexedrine for 7 years, adderall for 4 and back to dexedrine. My experience with vyvanse wasnt peachy either.
I guess my point is, why focus on a particular drug when talking about these side effects? I have found side effects come with all the stimulants.

We agree on the lack of treatment and stabilization of comorbid conditions. I was treated for bipolar for a few years before my doctor would even touch the adhd and I was totally ok with that.
Im not sure if this is due to an overprescribing by doctors, or if its just lack of continuous education that I think a lot of doctors should be forced to get. Maybe not forced, ut strongly suggested? Either way a good doctor goes a long way and because adhd is a life disorder rather than a school or work only disorder, it should be treated as such.

Yes. In fact, your question is the one I had back in 1999, when my own husband was started on Adderall. And I thought, the treatment is worse than ADHD.

I started a support group for the partners of adults with ADHD, to see if they had simliar experiences.

What I found was that the MDs are largely ignorant on this issue.

In fact, I credit the misuse of Adderall (and I'm talking among prescribing physicians) with a big chunk of the blowback against ADHD.

You can search for a blog post I wrote not long ago, on Adderall, or Madderall.

Good luck,
g

SirSchmidt
05-18-15, 02:34 PM
How long has she been taking the medication? For me, it took a few months to dial into my proper dosage of Adderall XR. We went too high, and too low, but eventually settled. Also, the body takes time to get used to the drug in general.

Taking the medication at the proper time and having the right meals is also important. I have to take mine with food in the morning, or else I'll be light-headed. Also, drinking alcohol is a bad idea, especially when the drug is still in your system. I say don't drink at all, if you can manage it. Alcohol changes my mood in a big way, even over 24 hours later I can still feel the effects of alcohol.

InvitroCanibal
05-18-15, 10:44 PM

She's taking too much. Tell her doc about the symptoms you've observed. Don't close your eyes because she gets defensive, any rational person would accept their spouses feelings as well.

Talk to her before you talk to her doc but don't make her response dependent on talking to her doc. This isn't okay, and it can get a lot worse. My best friend went from adderall to meth, he had similar side effects at first. Some people just get changed by stuff like this quick.It is often because they use it as a way to avoid life and tune it out as opposed to tune in.

Fyi the defensiveness and personality changes are what worry me the most about this.

ToneTone
05-20-15, 10:46 PM
So what do you mean by saying she is very defensive? I'm just curious about her reactions to your broaching this subject.

I agree with some of the other posters here ... At a certain dosage of Vyvanse, I go very much inward ... too inward ... and so my psychiatrist and I dialed it down a notch ...

BTW: my experience with psychiatrists is that they are VERY AWARE of the micro-focus that stimulants can create at particular dosages in particular patients. When I've described this effect--a kind of social withdrawal and hyperfocus on tedious work in my case .... my psychiatrists have instantly "gotten" what I was talking about an adjusted my medication.

Tone

o TX o
09-04-15, 11:12 AM

I worry that this is how my wife feels toward me. Just know that deep inside she is trying to give you her affection. Be open with her and stay by her side.